Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Default I hate school

I don't fit into the desks. I feel like my chest is being crushed while I am in class, and it pains me to be there for more than, say, 15 minutes. Even if it's for a subject that I really enjoy, I dread being there every minute.
biancasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Find a healthy weight loss, maintenance, exercise, lifestyle, that you can live with and stick to it , and embrace your education!

No one can take any of those things away from you.

Getting comfy in the desks may take a while, but if you stick with it, it will be worth it.

Hang in there!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #3  

I'm so sorry for your pain. I don't know if you're on a plan or not, but if you are, you must know that if you stick to it, you'll start losing weight. It won't happen in one day, but it will happen.

As for your current physical discomfort in the class, have you tried speaking to your professor (I'm assuming you're in college??) or a counselor? Just tell them that you are having a hard time fitting into the desks and that although you are losing weight, it will take a while and in the meantime, you want to be able to concentrate on the class, not on the physical discomfort. Just ask if there's any way that a chair (or other type of bigger desk) can be placed unobtrusively in the back of the class (before class begins, of course). I'm a professor, and I know that if one of my students approached me about this, I would definitely try to help out. Don't be embarrassed. I don't know of any teachers or counselors who don't want to help students succeed, and we encounter all sorts of issues.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasimone View Post
I don't fit into the desks. I feel like my chest is being crushed while I am in class, and it pains me to be there for more than, say, 15 minutes. Even if it's for a subject that I really enjoy, I dread being there every minute.
I don't know what kind of desks your school uses, but UTK uses (mostly) the desks with the tops that flip up. There's a guy in one of my classes now who is HUGE (not obese, just insanely tall - probably 6'7 at least), and he lifts the top of the desk up when he's in class and uses his lap to hold his notepad. I know it's not ideal, but I've seen him try sitting in the desk with the top down, and it looks much less comfortable than just doing without the top.

You could also pull a chair from another classroom into your class and just sit in the chair. Like someone else said, you might want to talk to your professor about your discomfort. I know that's gotta seem embarrassing, but a little embarrassment is better than being uncomfortable for an entire semester (or academic career)! Good luck!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote