Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 232/227/170

Height: 5'3"

I've been overweight my entire life. In high school the very first friend I made was a size 1. She always waited until we were standing in a cluster of people and complained that she was so fat. It made me feel horrible because i was easily 50 pounds heavier than her. My senior year of high school I dieted and exercised myself down to 150 and I still felt huge. Now that I look back on those pictures I just wish I could get back to that point and I'd be pretty pleased with myself. Feeling fat is a pretty relative thing most of the time. Some people definitely call themselves fat for the attention. Just ignore them and do you.
Mommy42Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzJuicyD View Post
OMG!!!! I always go to the gym with my boss who happens to be a size 4 lol. She's always talking about how out of shape she is and blah blah blah. Now i know there are out of shape skinny people but it's always funny to me when they talk about it with someone like me, who is obviously not in the best shape. Lol. We are kool about it and i always joke with her!
Juicy, the flip side is, there are awesomely fit "big" people, too.

When I ran a difficult 5K (it was all hills. It was measured in elevations), the woman I passed right at the very end was shorter and way heavier than me.

When the race results came it, it turned out that the woman I passed was also my age (40-49 group). At the time, it was my PR. This heavy woman made my same PR (almost). She got 2nd in our group, and me, the 1st place ole lady, I've got what people describe as a "runner's body".

If I ever heard her say, "I'm fat", I'd shake her shoulders and say, "No. You're an athlete."
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #18  
Looking for ♥ONEderland♥

S/C/G: 256/See ticker/175

Height: 5'7''

I have Co-Workers doing it all the time, and they order out every night (we work night shift) and it's always bad for you and they always try to get me to join, knowing I won't, but they still bug me to. I have held out for over 6 months now (and I work 4 nights a week) and stuck to my bowl of grass or grapefruit and watch them indulge in their bad choices, with their size 2 waists...I know I'll be there one day. maybe not a size 2, but healthy and thin enough I won't mind eating bad here and there, that's what helps me out at least
texasmedic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

It is a way for them to bring attention to their thin frames. They are fishing for compliments. I do not work with anyone who does this but I have heard this countless times. I am a youth group leader and it is very common among high school girls. I would imagine that they stop making those comments in the subsequent college years when they gain those freshman 15.
Sunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #20  

Height: 5'0"

I would say that it's sometimes a way to draw attention to themselves, and sometimes it's because of how they really feel. Low self esteem can affect anyone, regardless of weight.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #21  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 209/209/130

Height: 5'6

im a stay at home mom so i dont have co workers (besides the hubbs lol) but i do have two really skinny friends who are sisters. they are ALWAYS saying they're fat. and around me too! i cant help but roll my eyes. they eat whatever they like too BOOOOO (one of them has had 3 kids and she looks AMAZING!!!) im just now starting to see my belly fat reduce a bit and dont feel as bloated, 38 lbs later!
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #22  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Juicy, the flip side is, there are awesomely fit "big" people, too.

When I ran a difficult 5K (it was all hills. It was measured in elevations), the woman I passed right at the very end was shorter and way heavier than me.

When the race results came it, it turned out that the woman I passed was also my age (40-49 group). At the time, it was my PR. This heavy woman made my same PR (almost). She got 2nd in our group, and me, the 1st place ole lady, I've got what people describe as a "runner's body".

If I ever heard her say, "I'm fat", I'd shake her shoulders and say, "No. You're an athlete."
That is amazing! I do believe that there are fit "big" people. When I take my classes at the gym, sometimes i notice that i perform better than the smaller girls and that gives me a little boost of confidence lol. As for the runner, man thats inspiring. I desire to run but i just feel as though I would look like an idiot lol. I'm always to embarrasesd to try running on the treadmill at the gym lol. Ive thought about buying my own to keep in my bedroom so i can privately try to run lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 265/185/160

Height: 5'6

Everyone has body image issues and it is all relative to what you are use and what your goals are.

I find it best to just ignore those situations. I try to just focus on my goals and my body and not worry or compare myself to anyone else.
TL0812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzJuicyD View Post
That is amazing! I do believe that there are fit "big" people. When I take my classes at the gym, sometimes i notice that i perform better than the smaller girls and that gives me a little boost of confidence lol. As for the runner, man thats inspiring. I desire to run but i just feel as though I would look like an idiot lol. I'm always to embarrasesd to try running on the treadmill at the gym lol. Ive thought about buying my own to keep in my bedroom so i can privately try to run lol
There's no trophy in being a runner. If you don't like it, don't even bother! There are plenty of ways to get cardo without running. The key is, do what you like.

If you strive to be a runner, go for a walk. When no one's looking, jog a 1/8 mile. Increase over time. You'll get your stride. Figuratively and literally.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: kgs - 104/104/90 (initally)

Height: 164

I have the same problem, only with food. Three co-workers eat salads for lunch & when there's a birthday, they don't eat the cake & say oh no, I'll get fat if I eat that slice. Before I got to know them well, I thought that was a shot at me, but they're very nice & just very self-conscious.
Alicia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I can totally relate to that situation! It makes you feel bad. I can remember saying once "hearing you say that about yourself really makes me feel bad about myself."
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #27  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

I worked with two very thin ladies once, one ate nothing but smoked like a chimney, the other ate very little but everything was out of a packet or can. I never once saw anything fresh pass by her lips. It was very frustrating because I would sit there with my fresh fruit salad and listen to other co-workers tell these to how amazing they looked and they would give anything to look like that.

I guess it comes down to this. Do I want to be healthy or do I want to be thin. I can be thin really fast if I go back to starving myself and using diet coke and smokes to fill me up but I will be really unhealthy. I want to be healthy more than I want to be a certain number on a scale.
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

Women like that drive me crazy. I get that a lot of women have body image issues (even the ones that look like bloody supermodels, which I don't understand, but whatever), but saying things like that in front of someone who IS fat is pretty much just an insult. So fricking rude.
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote