Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #1  
~Kim~

Default I'm getting confused. Why am I feeling so hungry?

So for a little background my plan is lower carb on a IF schedule. I eat around 1600 calories, around 50 net carbs, 60-70 grams of fat, 120+ grams of protein per day. I eat three large meals at 2pm, 5:30pm and 7:30pm. I drink around 80oz of green tea and 32 to 72oz of water a day depending on how much exercise I do. I've really been doing good on this plan for a while now.

The last few weeks I've been having issues with hunger though. Not early in the day before my eating window opens, but during my eating window. Usually in the evening. Today is a perfect example of me having problems.

I ate my first meal at 2pm which was:

3oz of chopped celery with 4oz of chopped chicken with 1T of Olive oil and vinegar dressing mixed in.
5oz of frozen strawberries blended with a scope of whey protein and water.
A cheese stick.
An ounce of Almonds.

After eating that I felt hungry about a half hour later. It passed pretty quickly after I had some tea.

My next meal at 5:30 was:

A 5oz tuna steak brushed with a tiny bit of olive oil pan seared.
3.5oz of sliced mushrooms sauted in 1/2T of soy sauce.
6oz of broccoli with 2 slices of velvetta melted on top.
About two cups of spring greens with 2T of light ranch on top.

Again I felt hungry about a half hour later until I had a cup of tea.

My third meal at 7:30 was:

2 hard boiled eggs.
An apple
1oz of shelled pistachios
A low carb tortilla with a light laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it and about 2oz of sliced roast beef.

I never felt full after the last meal. I still have a growling stomach and it's a little after 10.

I don't get it! What I wrote above is a pretty good representation of what I eat on a daily bases. I think I had a little more protein then usually because I only have a tuna steak like twice a month. Usually it's chicken breast or ground turkey. I'm eating lots of protein, lots of fat, lots of fiber and the hunger issues just seem to be getting worse.

I need some suggestions or experiences with this or something. It's getting frustrating and I need to figure this out if I can.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I feel hungry if I don't get enough complex carbs, and while many people report that protein staves off hunger far better than carbs, that's never been true for me. I know that high-protein low-carb is in fashion amongst dieters at the moment, but remember that all the major health organisations still recommend a much higher intake of healthy carbs, including a good amount of wholegrains. If you're low-carbing because you're tried various methods and it truly is the best for you, fair enough, but if you're low-carbing because everyone else seems to be doing so and you didn't think you were allowed any other way to diet, try being more flexible and see how you feel. There are lots of ways to lose weight, and you should be on a plan that you are comfortable with.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I feel hungry if I don't get enough complex carbs, and while many people report that protein staves off hunger far better than carbs, that's never been true for me. I know that high-protein low-carb is in fashion amongst dieters at the moment, but remember that all the major health organisations still recommend a much higher intake of healthy carbs, including a good amount of wholegrains. If you're low-carbing because you're tried various methods and it truly is the best for you, fair enough, but if you're low-carbing because everyone else seems to be doing so and you didn't think you were allowed any other way to diet, try being more flexible and see how you feel. There are lots of ways to lose weight, and you should be on a plan that you are comfortable with.
I agree. I also need carbs to be full/satisfied. Usually a combo of protein, carbs, and a bit of fat is best for me.

Also, it might just be that you are going through a period of stronger than usual hunger that is perfectly normal. This happened to me last week. If that's the case, it will pass. You can either suffer through or add 100-200 calories per day. That few calories wont make you gain.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #4  
~Kim~

I will say I'm not just following a trend. I've tried lots of different diets and carbs are definitely an issue for me. Usually eating higher amounts of carbs I'm hungrier, and I crave more carbs which can easily lead to going off plan. It's frustrating because the way I've been eating now has been great up until recently. Maybe you're right Lin, and it's just a period I'm going to have to get through. If it keeps being a problem then I will probably add calories and see if that helps. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #5  

Not eating enough early in the day leads to nighttime hunger. Do you let your car coast along because you don't give it gas before 2 pm. You need food within an hour of waking up to keep satisfied and your metabolism reved up.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Not eating enough early in the day leads to nighttime hunger. Do you let your car coast along because you don't give it gas before 2 pm. You need food within an hour of waking up to keep satisfied and your metabolism reved up.
This is not true for all people. I do IF on most days, which helps KEEP me from grazing and overeating throughout the day. I start generally around 2 PM, eat a large meal, a snack a few hours later, and another large meal around 7. I'm really full. IF is a schedule that helps me manage my calories far better than any ratio of macronutrients.

The eating-within-an-hour of waking up and metabolism-revving are being seriously challenged these days with major studies such as this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/he...pagewanted=all.

OP, I *generally* have the same reaction you do to carbs- that is, having some and craving more. But it totally depends on the kind of carbs. Eating 150 carbs a day, mostly from beans, steel-cut oats, and dense grains like semolina or sorghum, does not have the same effect as eating 150 g of other types of carbs (even whole wheat, brown rice, and other similar complex carbs). Maybe up your carbs with the kinds I mentioned, while still keeping sugar and other carbs low?

good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

I second the not enough complex carbs statement. I used to have the same problem, so I introduced half a baked sweet potato (relatively low cal), a half a cup of beans, etc, and it reaaaallllllly helped.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
There is nothing is this statement that is true. Nothing.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think your food sounds great - not sure exactly why you'd be hungry because it's a nice amount of volume, along with good amounts of protein and fat. Normally, I'd suggest hormonal, but probably that's not it if it's been going on for several weeks now.

But I'm going to throw this out there. On my plan, I eat 2 tbs of oat bran a day (not oatmeal) and it does something magical in terms of controlling hunger. Part physical, I think, because it's got fiber, but also part physiological because it's got a positive impact on blood glucose, esp. prepared with a lot of cinnamon which is the way I happen to like it best. It's pretty low in calories so wouldn't really require you to cut out much, if anything, to stay at your calorie target. I generally have mine as breakfast but it can also be good to have at the end of the day, and prevent any cravings, so it might also work well for you to help with the hunger.

(and normally, I'd advise to drink some extra water, but you've clearly got that covered!)
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #10  
Oh noes I'm a drop bear

S/C/G: 370/270/130

Height: 5'

I'm not really on a hard core specific diet plan myself. I eat or try to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. My sleep schedule is weird due to my mans work schedule. I try to excercise atleast once a day be it for 10 or 15 minutes. We are very low income so being able to buy everything healthy is a bit of a challenge. I did give up soda for the most part. I drink mostly tea and water, and occasionally if I want a taste of something different then I drink maybe half a can of diet dr. pepper. This is coming from someone who was drinking 12 sodas a day (Mello Yello).

I also just tried to witch instead of eatting sweets I try to eat like carrot sticks or whtaever. If my cravings do get bad enough though I do go have that cookie or brownie that I'm wanting and then, thats just it. I dont want it for a long time. I learned if I try to ignore that craving I end up eatting to much of whatever it is.
Ambypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #11  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDimples View Post
3oz of chopped celery with 4oz of chopped chicken with 1T of Olive oil and vinegar dressing mixed in.
5oz of frozen strawberries blended with a scope of whey protein and water.
A cheese stick.
An ounce of Almonds.

After eating that I felt hungry about a half hour later. It passed pretty quickly after I had some tea.

My next meal at 5:30 was:

A 5oz tuna steak brushed with a tiny bit of olive oil pan seared.
3.5oz of sliced mushrooms sauted in 1/2T of soy sauce.
6oz of broccoli with 2 slices of velvetta melted on top.

Again I felt hungry about a half hour later until I had a cup of tea.

My third meal at 7:30 was:

2 hard boiled eggs.
An apple
1oz of shelled pistachios
A low carb tortilla with a light laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it and about 2oz of sliced roast beef.

I never felt full after the last meal. I still have a growling stomach and it's a little after 10.

I don't get it!
I would suggest a couple thinngs.

1) You say you're eating three large meals but really you're eating three smallish meals. I would suggest spreading them out more or just eating twice. You're hungry at 10? Push the second and third meal back an hour. Or - eat only twice and make the meals bigger.

2) Don't drink your calories. Instead of a whey/strawberry shake eat some meat and strawberries. Whey is also the fastest digesting protein.

3) More veggies and potentially more fruit. Fruit tends to make me feel full when little else does. You'll have to experiment. Berries are generally great for this.

4) Keep busy. The number one way for me to feel hungry is to have nothing to do. When I'm busy and focused I'm not thinking about food and the opposite is also true.

5) Suck it up. I'm hungry a lot and unfortunately I think a lot of us are this way. Your body hates you and doesn't want to lose weight. The good news is that once you hit your goal weight and move into maintinence you'll be able to eat a little more.

Last point - you may have to experiment with what is going to work best for you. For example - higher complex carbs, less fat. Cycling calories on a daily basis - for example 1200 calories one day and 2200 the next.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #12  
~Kim~

Thanks everyone. John some good points and ideas.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #13  
it's always something

One thing I've learned is there is no blanket statement for dieters. It's all trial and error and extremely individual. If what you are doing isn't having the effect you want, try something else
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Like Esofia..I STARVE if I do not get enough carbs, now I am not saying to add too much carbs, but maybe you are one of those persons who need more carbs
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote