Anyone else limit exercise due to not being able to control their hunger?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have increased my exercise a ton in the past few days and I could eat everything in the house. I feel ravenous! Is this something that I will get used to? Will it go away? Or should I cut back on the length of time that I exercise and see if that helps. I still ate a healthy dinner but I inhaled it. I have been trying to actually take time to eat and I had been doing well until yesterday and today.
  • It's just your body needing more calories for fuel for what your expending. Try eating some more protein. It helped me stop raiding the fridge.
  • I get alot hungrier when I exercise too, but what I found very helpful is to eat a protein within thirty minutes of stopping. I usually use a very low or no carb shake, and it really helps. I also use tall glasses of fiber, fiber you mix into water...it's very filling, great for your colon, and helps keep things moving through your system.

It is GREAT you are working out, it helps so much more than just weight loss. I would keep going.
  • When I was experiencing lots of hunger when I changed my diet, I literally just had to push through it. I was hungry constantly, and it was just my body adjusting. Though like others have said, you might want to eat a bit more to sustain yourself since you're putting out a lot more energy.
  • Yep, protein and fat are your friends!
  • Have any of you tried this? I bought it today at the natural food store and tried a teeny bit... (Got the chocolate flavor)... not sure I'll be able to eat it. http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php THat's one thing I hate about trying new health/diet foods. Half the time I think they are barfy! And 100% of the time, they're expensive. WOnder if I can use it in cooking or something because dipping an apple in it will not be the way I'll want to eat it. I know that now.
  • Yes, I have tried it and NO I do not like it!! I hate spending all that money too! Its worth it when you find the good stuff though! Just not a fun process trying new things. I wish they had like a tasting once a month at the healthfood store. It would probably benefit them too because a lot of reason people dont buy the stuff is that they dont want to spend the money on something they dont know that they will like.
  • I tried the Better n Peanut Butter once and thought it was awful.

About exercise, I think you'll be fine after a few days and might see the opposite happen. Exercise is an appetite suppressant for many people. It works for me, plus I think it has the added psychological effect of not wanting to undo the good I just did
  • berryblondeboys, I don't know if your health food store does this, but ours lets us return items that we try and don't care for either for a store credit or to get our money back. I had no idea I could return something just for not liking it, but I think they make so much money that they'd rather let people return something and keep coming back then having them not try things. Just a thought.
  • Yes, and this is actually the reason I don't exercise. I realized that 90% of the time I worked out (and we're talking low intensity elliptical work, 20-30 minutes), I would binge later. I tried timing my meals and all that, adding lots of protein, but still- even if it was hours later, I'd start to feel empty and starving.

I do understand the importance of exercise, and I'm not giving up on it forever... but right now, in the middle of me trying to change my lifestyle and eating/binging habits, it's just a trigger for me. I am taking a break from it until I am stronger in my plan and better at resisting binge cravings.
  • yes i limit my exercise because it makes me hungry...not only hungry, RAVENOUS...and i also lose all willpower when i get that hungry....i used to work out hard in the mornings and then munch the day away on whatever i could find to eat...and lots of it!...now i'm focusing more on eating low carb, eating smaller portions, and the only "real" exercise that i do is biking in the evenings, with a small protein shake afterwards, and then bedtime....that seems to work...but i also count as "movement" the hours i spend cleaning, watching kids, cooking, laundry, etc since i'm busy all day long anyhow
  • I started my "official" attempt of losing weight about two months ago, and since then I walk every morning, and lifted weights. Well since I've began to build muscle, I have added more weight to lift, and have noticed that I've been SUPER hungry. And like everyone else has said, protein has helped TREMENDOUSLY. And I try to jazz it up every once and a while. I"ll throw some protein powder, blueberries, bananas and ice into a blender... YUM (:
  • Hmm, I seem to be the minority here, but for me exercise is definitely an appetite suppressant. I know I should get some protein in after a hard workout, but I usually just don't feel like it. And this is the ONLY time of day I don't "feel like" eating. It's like there's so much going on in my body, eating just seems like a chore. I think there's a mental component to this too because the exercise really focuses me on exactly what it is I'm trying to accomplish and how good it makes me feel to be doing it. Honestly, if I go "off plan" with what I eat, it's almost ALWAYS on a rest day.

But maybe I'm just weird like that .
  • Quote: Hmm, I seem to be the minority here, but for me exercise is definitely an appetite suppressant. I know I should get some protein in after a hard workout, but I usually just don't feel like it. And this is the ONLY time of day I don't "feel like" eating. It's like there's so much going on in my body, eating just seems like a chore. I think there's a mental component to this too because the exercise really focuses me on exactly what it is I'm trying to accomplish and how good it makes me feel to be doing it. Honestly, if I go "off plan" with what I eat, it's almost ALWAYS on a rest day.

But maybe I'm just weird like that .
    On another thread the majority who piped in were like you (and me) that exercise suppresses appetite. And, like you, I'm more likely to eat more on a rest day because I'm hungrier. I guess we all are so different in every way.
  • ABSOLUTELY. Yet I fall on both sides of this issue.
    For me, the routine, consistency and mental benefits of exercise are very important, aside from associated weight loss benefits.
    however, I found myself gaining weight and was at my heaviest when I was exercising the MOST. at 180 lbs I was training for a marathon and found it impossible to control my eating on 15+ mile running days.

Moderation equaled success for me! I currently run quite frequently-- sometimes up to 6 days a week, but NEVER more than 6 miles at a time. And I walk. Everywhere I can. This adds in extra movement I don't "count" as exercise. Walking to work, to the store, to see friends--- these are easier things to do in New York City than some places, I know-- but I could take a cab or the subway and whenever I can, I choose not to. The walking doesn't "feel" like exercise to me in the same way running does, and thus hasn't impacted my ability to control my eating quite as much.

I think consistency of diet is 80% of the weight loss equation, and exercise helps with the mental focus, physical strength and determination to make it the rest of the way. Treat it as a gift, a break, a "Recharge" opportunity-- not as a chore. And don't over do it!

Best of luck