3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Question About Measurements/Inches Lost? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/237673-question-about-measurements-inches-lost.html)

devnet 07-09-2011 07:32 PM

Question About Measurements/Inches Lost?

Alright, so I took my first measurements two weeks. I measured upper arms, bust, waist, hips, and thighs. I told myself I would take them again every two weeks, but technically my measuring day is supposed to be Monday. I took a sneak peek today. No change at all.

I've lost 6 pounds as of last Monday (weigh in day). Is that just not enough pounds lost to see a change? Am I doing something wrong and losing muscle instead?

rubyred7 07-09-2011 07:55 PM

First 5-10 pounds is water weight, after that is mostly fat, don't go by inches go by how your clothes are fitting. Are your jeans looser, or do you find yourself having to tighten your bra straps? That's the best way to tell. A pound of muscle takes up about the size of a water bottle cap, but a pound of fat takes up about 30times that much. So don't be surprised if your weight stays the same or goes up and your size drops.

devnet 07-09-2011 08:38 PM

Well, actually, I lost the water weight before I even joined this forum. I don't consider myself actually having lost any weight for the first 5-10 pounds, cos I do know it's water weight, and it usually drops off in a matter of less than 5 days. *shrug* (wow, can you tell I've done this too often? lol)

Having to do my bra up on the last hook the last week or two, but that could be gradual stretching of the material as much as anything.

Thanks, though, don't feel quite so panicked, lol.

TooManyDimples 07-09-2011 08:44 PM

The first time I took my measurements was at 245, I haven't actually lost that many inches since then. I really wouldn't expect to see a great change every two weeks. Especially starting off.

Like Ruby said some of that initial weight is water, but really a larger person isn't going to see an extreme difference in inches right away, especially not after 6lbs down.

That's a great start though! Keep it up and the inches will come off soon. =)

belmagick 07-09-2011 08:53 PM

I record my inches every week and I tend to lose small amounts for two weeks and then gain a little on the third week, then go back to losing. It's strange but that's the way it works. each week I don't see that much difference, but overall, there's definitely a downward trend. Don't stress about the minor fluctuations/weeks of no change. As long as you're exercise and dieting, you will lose them.

berryblondeboys 07-09-2011 08:55 PM

I measure once a month. On average I see .5" on my legs, .25" on my upper arms, an inch off my waist and .5 to an inch on my bust and hips. In almost all those months I've lost 10 pounds a month AND I workout 6 days a week. So, losing inches can be slow. But, like last month when my weight stalled out, my measurements were going down, so it did help as I knew I was making progress.

devnet 07-10-2011 03:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Guess I'm just being silly, heh. I'll move my measurements to once a month so I don't drive myself crazy, lol.

painfullystoic 07-10-2011 06:51 AM

I dunno. I've been measuring myself since June 8th, and I've lost about 8" on an aggregate, but then again, there are times when I've gained a couple of inches here and there in there as well. I dunno. I think it's just how your body reacts and what you're fat to muscle ratio is when you start off. I was about 53% fat, so I'd expect there to be faster inch loss than weight loss (have lost all of 2 lbs) for me. You know what I mean?

Riddy 07-10-2011 09:50 AM

I started measuring when I was just a couple pounds away from your start weight, and it took me 10 pounds before I saw any change in measurements, and even then it was just 1/2 inch off my big upper belly and 1/4 inch off my hips and thigh. I measure every week, but I don't see big changes from week to week. If I lose 1/4 inch ANYWHERE, I'm happy.

belmagick 07-10-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnet (Post 3928874)
Thanks everyone. Guess I'm just being silly, heh. I'll move my measurements to once a month so I don't drive myself crazy, lol.

I've found it to be a great motivator, especially when I got past the ten week mark and I really could see a downward trend. If it doesn't motivate you then try once a month but be aware TOM can really screw with your numbers (especially around your hips.) So i'd advise you measure around a week after you've finished your period.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)