Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default How Do you Measure Your Waist?

How are you supposed to measure your waste?

I just watched a youtube video where the woman said you measure right on your navel--then she said something confusing. She said "if you have any rolls you are trying to maneuver around, measure right around the widest part of your body."

When I was a kid--we measured around the spot above the naval because it was the smallest part of the waist. I am confused. Plus--your waste is often not the "widest part of your body" anyway--so I don't know what the youtube lady was talking about.

Edit: Lol--I just realized that I was using the wrong word-- I mean "waist." I really don't want to measure my "waste"!

Here's a link to the said video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjjRvY7iKw

Last edited by Stopfat; 07-07-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thank goodness! I mean, I know some people are stricter than I am about their diets, but that's taking things a bit far!

I say don't listen to her. Measure yourself someplace repeatable, as it you'll be able to fiind that spot again. I have a spot on me that's definitely my waist, and thats where I measure.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #3  

Oh my gosh! I just looked on the WIN website (Weight Control Information Network)--and it looks pretty legit...

It says you are supposed to measure the spot right above the hip bone! That sounds like the biggest part of the waist!

Oh--my hip bones go up to a little above my belly button--so I was freaking out for nothing.

Alright--I'm sticking to an inch above my belly button. Phew.

Zoodoo--I agree. If I measure using my belly button--which is actually right below where my hips end, then my waist is like, three or four inches wider.

Last edited by Stopfat; 07-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

The main point of taking measurements is to be able to see change, right? So it doesn't really matter much where you measure as long as you are consistent.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #5  

Well actually, one of the reasons why I want to measure the right spot is so that I can apply the guidelines about heart disease. I tend to gain weight on my abdomen and upper body, so I want to make sure I am below what is considered to be dangerous (35 inches waist for women by US standards.)

If I measure the belly button I am above the guideline, but if I measure above it I am below.

But that is a good point, to measure change. Some people, I read, measure both the widest part of their waists and the thinnest, to keep record of how they are losing.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #6  

This is what WIN says,

"Excess weight as measured by BMI is not the only risk to your health. Where excess fat is located on your body may be another risk. If you carry fat mainly around your waist, you are more likely to develop health problems than if you carry fat mainly in your hips and thighs. This is true even if your BMI falls within the normal range. Women with a waist measurement of more than 35 inches or men with a waist measurement of more than 40 inches may have a higher disease risk than people with smaller waist measurements because of where their fat lies.

To measure your waist circumference, place a tape measure around your bare abdomen just above your hip bone. Be sure that the tape is snug (but does not compress your skin) and that it is parallel to the floor. Relax, exhale, and measure your waist."

I think I am going to go with this, and not the youtube lady.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
How Do you Measure Your Waste?
-
I poop in a measuring cup.

LOL...Sorry I couldn't resist!!

I measure at my navel. It started out at 54 inches (WOW) and now it's 29"!!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #8  

I know. I know.

Once I accidentally typed "bowel" instead of "bowl." I must have a thing for potty language slips.

That's great success Lori.

Another thing that I don't understand about the "under 35 inches" rule. If you are six feet tall and your waist is 36 inches--isn't that going to be a different impact on your health than if you are 4'7 and have a 36 inch waist?

It sounds kind of like the "don't go below 1200 calories" rule.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #9  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
-
I poop in a measuring cup.

LOL...Sorry I couldn't resist!!
I was going to say something to the similar effect!

*waist* not *waste* LOL
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

~giggle~

First you weigh yourself. Then you poop. Then we weigh yourself again. Difference = waste.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

By how many garbage bags are at the curb! lol you didn't know we were all so funny did you?
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #12  

OK--honestly, I noticed and mentioned the typo way before any of you ever called me on it. Notice the edit in the original post is timed way back before any of these posts.

I happen to work with elementary school age kids, so luckily I am used to the potty humor--but seriously, I would love for someone to address the legitimate issue of waist circumference!

If you all must, keep joking about it...although I personally have to say the joke is a bit tired now. Although I have to admit that the mistake in the title is definitely calling for attention.

Edit: And because I am a nice person, and a little embarrassed I have to say that yes--you are all very funny (even though the images are a little disturbing--I guess it will help me lose my appetite which should help with weight loss). But I would still love to hear about actual waist measurement!

Last edited by Stopfat; 07-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #13  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopfat View Post

Another thing that I don't understand about the "under 35 inches" rule. If you are six feet tall and your waist is 36 inches--isn't that going to be a different impact on your health than if you are 4'7 and have a 36 inch waist?

It sounds kind of like the "don't go below 1200 calories" rule.
I agree with you there. I think it's a "35" catch all. And it's not only height, but some people are really petite built and some people are really hugely built. From most things I've read they don't give a measurement but a ration of hip to waiste which is another .7 and below is considered 'safer' for heart disease. Notice I didn't say "you have no risk" because there are so many things that lead to risk.

With that said, in the last 6 months I've lost just under 60 pounds and I've lost 4 inches off my chest, 8 inches off my waist and 5 inches off my hips. I now have a 35" waist, but I'm also just under 200 pounds. I'm 'improving' my health, but I'm not out of the woods yet. Plus, my waist to hip ratio is .8, not .7. It's getting closer, but it's not there yet.

And for measuring, I just always measure where I'm the biggest or the smallest. for chest - the widest, for waist, the smallest, for hips, the widest. The point on my hips where I measure probably changes a bit, but I'm just trying to get where I am the widest so one month it might be more across my gut, the next more across my butt/lower hips.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/156.0/145

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopfat View Post
OK--honestly, I noticed and mentioned the typo way before any of you ever called me on it. Notice the edit in the original post is timed way back before any of these posts.

I happen to work with elementary school age kids, so luckily I am used to the potty humor--but seriously, I would love for someone to address the legitimate issue of waist circumference!

If you all must, keep joking about it...although I personally have to say the joke is a bit tired now. Although I have to admit that the mistake in the title is definitely calling for attention.

Edit: And because I am a nice person, and a little embarrassed I have to say that yes--you are all very funny (even though the images are a little disturbing--I guess it will help me lose my appetite which should help with weight loss). But I would still love to hear about actual waist measurement!
LOL. To be fair, I only even clicked on this thread because I thought someone here was taking dieting to a whole new level and I couldn't restrain my curiosity. Too bad you can't edit the thread title.
AnonymouslyYours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #15  

BerryBlondeBoys: Thanks for the suggestion of waist to hip ratio. I only weigh 147 which is a normal BMI, but I looked up, and did the waist to hip ratio and I am .75, so I am going to measure my success by my waist instead of weight from now on. That is also a good point about there being other factors to health. I have to keep that in mind as I continue on my journey to health.

AnonYours: I think I discovered some new methods of weight management by this thread. Now I have a "load" of images to conjure up when I feel like eating that off-limit pizza. I may just lose the craving!

Everyone who jokes about the spelling: Thanks for calling the attention to the spelling error. Really, I am totally grateful to you, even if I did sound kind of snippy, because I will never make that spelling mistake again!

Last edited by Stopfat; 07-07-2011 at 04:14 PM.