Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/275/130

Height: 5"5'

Default Day 2 of my all liquid diet.. Talk about rough!

So right now I am doing anything I can to try to keep my mind off of.. FOOD! Ugh this is rough! My doctor put me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks to retrain myself to eat. Its hard.. really hard! Harder then I thought it would be! I can have breakfast shakes and I thought they would be more filling. They aren't at all! This is going to take a lot of motivation! I'm wanting everything I see! I keep thinking an apple sounds so good lol because they are filling! How do you ladies keep your motivation going? No food sucks
cosmokindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

What kind of doctor would do that? Sorry, but that sounds odd... retraining you to eat by doing something radical that isn't supported as a sound way to lose weight?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/275/130

Height: 5"5'

My doctor put me on it for 2 weeks to give me a kick start to my weight loss and she says it will retrain my way of eating and make my stomach shrink as well as detox my body! Then she will start to introduce the foods I need back in Sound good but way hard
cosmokindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Retraining you to eat by not eating? Eeek. Has he referred you to a nutritionist? That may be more helpful.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #5  
~Kim~

I think I would be looking for a new doctor. That sounds horrible. =/ If you feel like you need to do it, and can than best of luck to you.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't want to undermine what your doctor is saying and if it's temporary, OK, but that is odd.

What kind of liquid diet are you on? Not all nutrition shakes are created equal. Some are very carb heavy and will make you hungrier, faster. You need enough protein and fats to make you feel full and stay full. The carb laden ones will spike your sugars and make you crave foods faster.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

If any doctor I see ever uses the word "detox" I'd run screaming out of the office.

But I did once do a juice (and coconut oil) fast for a few days to fit into a dress which was probably pretty similar, so I can understand how you're feeling. Just try really, really hard to stay distracted!

Last edited by mayness; 07-06-2011 at 03:04 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/197/138

Height: 5'6.75"

Are you allowed to blend foods? Like, maybe putting that apple you want in the blender with a few other fruits and veggies and then drinking it? Or is this a clear liquid diet?
AmberJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I have heard of people going on a one or two week liquid diet to both shrink the stomach and detox (think Master Cleanse... very unappealing when you look up how it works!) but I'm not entirely sold on it. I don't think it could work for me - I don't even want to try Slim Fast meal replacement shakes!

I agree with asking for a second opinion from a nutritionist. It can't hurt to have another trained professional give you some advice and if they are on board with the plan then I guess I don't see a problem with it.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think this is odd, too. What kind of a doctor is this ? Is he an MD ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

This sounds a bit odd to me, too. I know that there are medical reasons to sometimes go on liquid diets - but the reasons you have given would send me out the door to a new Dr. Just making a couple of dietary changes is often enough to "jump start" weight loss.

Detoxing is a crock. You body is made to flush out all the wastes on it's own. If you aren't ellimating correctly - get thee to a new Dr. to get checked out.

Then - there is the stomach shrinking part. A Dr. would know that stomachs don't shrink. They stay the same size. As you eat less, your body learns to be satiated on less - but the size of your stomach remains the same. The only way to shrink your stomach is to have surgery.

I have read, too, that liquids don't always make you feel full as chewing the same amount of calories. Something about chewing sending signals to the brain.

I am sorry - I hope I don't sound unsupportive. I just worry that the information your Dr. has given you is not going to help you in the long run. Did she recommend you to a dietician or nutritionist?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cosmo, please come back and explain. I am puzzled by the expression "to retrain myself to eat ". Haven't you been eating ? Do you have some medical issue that prevented you from eating. I just don't understand being retrained to eat.Please enlighten us.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #13  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
Retraining you to eat by not eating? Eeek. Has he referred you to a nutritionist? That may be more helpful.

Totally agree. That doctor sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. This could have a huge negative impact on your metabolism that could take a long time to correct. The only way to retrain yourself to eat, is to re-learn how to eat. And unless you're going to be eating a liquid diet all the time, this isn't going to work for you. If you have the discipline to follow this diet for 2 weeks, you can instead follow a healthier eating plan for 2 weeks while you wait for a referral to see a nutritionist.

Look around this site for some great ideas. I highly recommend calorie counting because it's easy to start (free) and you can make your own choices, but still budget calories throughout the day to be appropriate for good weight loss!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

To you for getting started.

However, a liquid diet is going to retrain you to eat. Hmm, just like a colon cleanse is going to retrain you how to poop.

That is the biggest load of bull pucky I have ever heard.

Unless you have an extremely specific medical condition that would require this, it's a bunch of hooey, and your Dr. is probably making money off of you on the liquid diet stuff.

None of us are knocking you. The liquid diet was popular in the 70's my Mom did it. Didn't work.

Take a deep breath, cruise around the different threads here. There is a better way to eat healthy, lose weight, exercise and still have a treat now and then.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #15  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Hi there and welcome to 3fc!

Looks like one of your first posts and I hope you dont mistake everyone's concern for lack of support. It is an amazing group I am thankful to have found. But it does strongly reinforce healthy weight loss methods and goals.

Since you didnt ask for input on the actual plan, I wont comment in that direction

Dont know enough about diet comp to discuss actual liquid diet substance, but here are a couple suggestions on general coping methods:
- Ensure you are drinking a TON of water. Dehydration signals can feel like hunger, and when losing weight we especially need to hydrate. Aim for 1-2l/day min. When Im concerned about my electrolytes, such as when Im not eating well or at all, I feel like drinking Smartwater makes a difference.
- Sounds like you are not on the MasterCleanse (and I havent tried it either), so unrelated I DO reallllly enjoy hot water, lemon, stevia to sweeten a tiny bit and cayenne! The cayenne really warms me up and it is supposed to contribute to satiety and rev metabolism.
- Coffee really does work as an appetite suppressant for me. I only drink ~2 Americanos a day (espresso + hot water), it has less caffiene than drip.
- Teas. Experiment here...lots of flavor with no cals. Use stevia to sweeten
- Blended iceeees. My new fav thing: 1/4 lemon, 2 cups ice, 1 stevia, 1/2c cold water in the blender! Sub lemon for 4 strawberries and a handful of mint. OMG delicious
- Chew gum- Distraction. Watch tv, work out, go to the mall and walk around, go to a park and read a book, volunteer, visit a friend, etc.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote