Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #1  

Default Darn Bread!

Hello everybody. As I mentioned in my first post my DH works nights in a bakery. Ever since he started working there he's had a habit of bringing home leftover unsold breads and baked goods. I don't really care about the sweets but bread is my downfall. When I wasn't actively trying to lose weight I loved the fact he brought food home but now his actions are hampering my weight loss. I've tried telling him to ease back on the take-homes, at least when it comes to the bread, but he tells me that it helps with the grocery bill. I'd agree with him except that I don't usually eat the sugary sweets and pastries he brings home, and bread isn't really a food shopping bank breaker.

I can resist the siren call of the loaves for only so long before I give in, toast a few slices and slather them with butter. Then I drown in guilt and resolve to be super strict on my diet the next day. Then the next day comes and, whadaya know there's more nearly fresh bakery bread, courtesey of the man I love.

Yes, I'm a hopeless case. I know that.

I know it's up to me to stay strong and resist, but sometimes I really wish DH has a different job.

Last edited by greygirl; 10-20-2007 at 12:49 PM.
greygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Can you maybe compromise? Ask him to bring home only whole grain breads and leave the rest at work? If he brings home anything else, slice off a bit for the family to use and put the rest in the freezer?
I don't know if breads fit into your plan, but I calorie count and whole grain breads fit nicely. Instead of butter, try to find another topping -preferably with some protein in it. PB, hummus, lowfat cheese, etc.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #3  

CountingDown, asking DH to just bring home the healthy whole- grain breads and freezing the loaves is a great idea. Thanks loads. Bread is neither on. nor off my diet since I'm just trying to limit calories at this time (I ain't succeeding, but I'm trying lol).

I'm also going to ask DH if he can limit bringing home bakery leftovers to one or two days a week.
greygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I go to the day-old place on purpose! I like the Orowheat Master's Best winter wheat. I freeze it, and just take out what I need for the day.

My DH brother used to work for a bread company. He always gave us lots of goodies. Now he is retired, so it's not a problem, but I sure do know what you are talking about.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

If there's something you really can't resist eating, it makes the most sense to make a place for it in your diet. Perhaps your breakfasts could be a slice of whole grain bread (with margarine! no butter! too many calories. The Brummel and Brown Yogurt Margarine is great.) with some scrambled egg whites. Or lunch could be a lovely green salad with chicken and one slice of bread. Make room for it, otherwise you'll stay in this cycle of binging and feeling guilty forever.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I'm a carb-o-holic and that would just kill me!! OY!!

Maybe he could drop them off at the local food shelter and give some of the bread to them... esp. with the holidays around the corner. I think those types of places can't get too many perishables, but it may be an option.

Good luck, I feel for ya, sister!!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymster View Post
Maybe he could drop them off at the local food shelter and give some of the bread to them... esp. with the holidays around the corner. I think those types of places can't get too many perishables, but it may be an option.
What a great idea! (And if he won't take them to a shelter, maybe you could do it while he isn't looking. )
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There are other things to put on bread besides a ton of butter... Maybe you could use one of those flavor sprays on lightly toasted bread. That would save on some cals. But mostly, bread has high cals also. So, one slice is probably plenty all by itself.

Good for you for trying hard to limit eating it--but if you can't, then it has to go out of the house somehow, I'd think.

Donating it sounds good!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #9  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Did you know that BIRDS LOVE BREAD (so do dogs); my aunt picks up day-old stuff to feed her birds. She actually keeps whole grains for herself, some for her family, and the rest goes to the birds ... literally!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I totally know how the bread thing can get out of hand. I even go overboard with whole grain bread. If your hubby can bring whole grain, at least it would be better for you and more likely to fill you up. Maybe you can spread fruit over it instead of butter? That's a really hard situation...I know if it were me, I would have a hard time resisting lots of yummy bread. Good luck, I hope you find a solution to the problem.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Now Leeda it looks to me like you are below 200...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Oh, Jay, you sure know how to perk up my day! Thanks for noticing!

I see you are in the 140s, big congrats!
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #13  
is chubby

Perhaps take it one step at a time?
Don't put butter on the bread but something healthier like cucumber slices with a pinch of salt, or tomatoes, or fat-free cottage cheese. This will at least lower your calories.
You can also make great oven pies with bread. It is a bit like lazania but with bread instead of pasta. And you can put lots of veg into that

There are healthy ways of eating bread
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Ask your husband to hide it from you! Weird, but it works. My fiance loves having Nutella around, but it's the one thing I really have a hard time controlling myself around, so I ask him to not tell me when he buys it, and to keep it in a random place that I probably won't find. Out of sight, out of mind
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Homeless shelters will be thrilled, and may even be able to pick up the bread from him. If there isn't a local homeless shelter, there will still be homeless folk, and most likely people who work with the homeless folk and who would be willing to distribute the bread for him.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote