Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/174.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Red face Medifast...

Hi!
I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my daughter....20 years ago! LOL. I lost weight (34 pounds) in 1995 and kept it off for 10+ years. But now....its back and more than ever! I weigh more now then I did after giving birth.
NO excuses either....bottom line, I got lazy stopped working out and I eat junk food.

Moreover, I've lost my willpower as I got older. Not sure why either! I used to be so disciplined. In the past when I decided to eat healthy, count fat grams, and work out every day...I did just that....counted fat grams and worked out every day! Now it’s a different story.....I am so not disciplined, I worry if I start a diet I will be off it in a day or two.

For me, I do not believe in cutting out carbs....like Denise Austin says, people are not loosing weight because they cut out carbs....it is because they are eating FEWER calories!! Bottom line. By cutting out the carbs you're really just cutting out the amount of calories you are consuming.

With that said....I'm thinking about doing the medifast plan, though they do a little of the carb thing. For me, I need a structured plan....a plan that tells me what to eat, when. Because I no longer have will power, I believe following something that is written out for me, without counting calories or going in for weigh-ins would be a great fit.

However, am very scared I will not like the food. I've been reading posts about others who have tried medifast or are on medifast, some say the food is good, & others say it’s gross. I'm not one for dehydrated foods, but given the options, Medifast is more affordable (kind of) vs. the other plan I would love to do....Seattle Sutton.

Any advice is welcome! Thoughts? What has worked for you?
Thanks!
Michele
Michinmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I don't know anything about medifast sorry, but I think when you are deciding on a plan it's important to ask yourself WHY you can't lose and/or maintain weight. Once you find that and work on fixing that, it's easier to choose the right program.

From your description, it sounds like you are very 'all or nothing' - you are either on the ball 100% or if you slip up, you say 'to **** with it'. Accurate? I was like that too. Once I worked on THAT, I was able to lose and maintain with reasonable portion sizes and strength training.

Like I said I don't know medifast, so I don't know if that helps with it, but I think a simple program like calorie counting or weight watches is good for "all or nothing'ers" that need to learn moderation

Last edited by sacha; 06-19-2011 at 10:35 AM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

There is a Medifast Forum here on 3fc you can check out. I have blogged in great detail about being on Medifast myself, including all the different foods and how I feel. My blog link is below if you'd like to read my experience!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Lightbulb

Hi Mich,

I'm 11 weeks in to Medifast, feeling good and doing well - 28 pounds down! Some of the food is great, some is ok, and there are a couple things I just don't like. Most anything can be doctored up a bit to taste better. I like that I get 1 meal a day of "real" food to learn healthy eating. I also like that it's very structured - if I'm cheating, I damn well know it.

That said, what Medifast is teaching me is just how MENTAL losing weight is. I was actually scared of Medifast when I first heard of it, and it took 2 months of serious consideration before I signed up. I think because I expected it to be so physically difficult, that when it really wasn't, the light went on for me.

So if you're serious about getting serious, go for it! It works! And we have lots of prep suggestions over in the Medifast section.

Last edited by Riddy; 06-19-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot my ticker!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi! I began Medifast because like you, I could not make work what used to work, anymore. Someone I know was using Medifast and was losing weight noticeably, every week. I think the Medifast program is a brilliant idea, and it gets you over carb addiction (if you stick to it).

You won't like every food--that's just a given. But, you can return unopened boxes for credit. Different folks like different foods--some like the banana shakes, for example, but others think they are gross. You can mix and match your orders, however, even on the first one, so if you are pretty sure you won't like a food, you don't have to order it.

As it turns out, I can't follow the Medifast program because I have an intolerance to soy protein isolate and other protein isolates if I get too much of them. So, I am having to come up with substitutes. Still, by using foods that add up to close to the same nutritional profile and calorie count, I am continuing to lose.

I would say, order a two-week package. By the end of the first week, you'll know whether the program is something you can do. If you like it, it will be time to order another package (they take 4-5 days to arrive).

My ticker shows you the progress I have made.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #6  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Default Hi, I used to do Medifast

Hi,

I used to do Medifast. I lost a bit of weight on it. I agree that it depends on the individual as to which foods you will like. I liked some foods, not others, and I think it is a good program if you are looking to do that kind of diet. I am not sure if they still have this, but it used to come with free Health Coaching sessions with someone who was doing the program and was a certified health coach. I found that helpful. I think the Medifast site has a chat room, to connect with others on the program too.

It is a good program if you stick to it, at least I lost some weight on it and I believe others can be successful on it to. I stopped doing it because I wanted to get off that type of diet but I did lose weight on it.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Default Awesome Success on Medifast! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michinmn View Post
Hi!
I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my daughter....20 years ago! LOL. I lost weight (34 pounds) in 1995 and kept it off for 10+ years. But now....its back and more than ever! I weigh more now then I did after giving birth.
NO excuses either....bottom line, I got lazy stopped working out and I eat junk food.

Moreover, I've lost my willpower as I got older. Not sure why either! I used to be so disciplined. In the past when I decided to eat healthy, count fat grams, and work out every day...I did just that....counted fat grams and worked out every day! Now it’s a different story.....I am so not disciplined, I worry if I start a diet I will be off it in a day or two.

For me, I do not believe in cutting out carbs....like Denise Austin says, people are not loosing weight because they cut out carbs....it is because they are eating FEWER calories!! Bottom line. By cutting out the carbs you're really just cutting out the amount of calories you are consuming.

With that said....I'm thinking about doing the medifast plan, though they do a little of the carb thing. For me, I need a structured plan....a plan that tells me what to eat, when. Because I no longer have will power, I believe following something that is written out for me, without counting calories or going in for weigh-ins would be a great fit.

However, am very scared I will not like the food. I've been reading posts about others who have tried medifast or are on medifast, some say the food is good, & others say it’s gross. I'm not one for dehydrated foods, but given the options, Medifast is more affordable (kind of) vs. the other plan I would love to do....Seattle Sutton.

Any advice is welcome! Thoughts? What has worked for you?
Thanks!
Michele
I have been on the Medifast (MF) plan for 12 weeks and have lost 54 lbs. It has worked better for me than any other plan ever...and believe me, I've tried them all. Reading Dr. Anderson's awesome book, Dr. A's Habits of Health also greatly contributed to my success. I would highly recommend it ($30 - Amazon.com) Best wishes to you. Check out tsfl.com if you'd like to learn more about the MF plan. Good luck!!!

sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/see tkr/150

Height: 5'8"

I have been on Medifast for 35 weeks. I love it. I have never been this successful on a program. I definitely haven't stuck with a diet this long before and I will have no problem sticking it out to goal. I have totally changed my relationship with food. It is fuel. It's not entertainment or comfort anymore. As for the taste, some I love (crunch bars), some I can't stand (dark chocolate shakes). There is enough variety in the things I like that I don't get bored.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!
MelKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #9  

Cool

HI everyone!
thank you so much for responding and for your great advise.

sacha: I think you are right, its all or nothing with me. Never dawned on me but I think you hit the nail on the head.

Lyn2007: thank you very much for the link to your blog. I'm going to check it out asap!

Riddy: WOW! Down 28 pounds awesome!! Like you said, I never thought about how MENTAL losing weight is either. I am scared of Medifast or any other program because I'm scared I wont follow through. t,

I too feel scared that its going to be physically difficult, I hope the light and discipline will turn on for me too.

JayEll: I didn't know some food can be returned for credit! That's a really great option to know.
Ordering a two week program to see if I like it is a great idea too.

seabiscuit: At least you lost some weight on it before stopping Medifast. What are you doing now? Are you working out too? Thank you for applying and for your advise!

MelKnee: Wow on Medifast for 35 weeks?! That is commendable!

I feel like I will have a problem sticking it out to goal! Though, I like that you said there is enough variety in the things you like that you don't get bored.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #10  

Smile

sidanne42: You lost 54 pounds in 12 weeks??!!!! WOW!!! Congratulations!!!!! I couldn't even imagine me loosing that, though I WOULD LOVE IT! I NEED to loose 58 pounds to get to my goal weight. I am so scared I won’t be able to do it.
Thank you for responding to my post. Your story is definitely an inspiration to me.