I need a change

• After my four months of screwing up and gaining weight, I am ready to kick my own butt and get back on track. I think part of my downfall was that I got bored and sort of burnt out over the same routine for almost a year and a half. I was really hoping that everything would just become routine after that length of time, but I guess I just got frustrated with it all. I tried going back to Fitday for a week and I am finding myself already slipping up and not logging my foods again. I think I need a complete change in my diet plan and I am looking for a fresh start. I would love some new ideas to refresh my plan, or some motivation to make a commitment once again!
    Here is what I have so far for a new plan. Please keep in mind that I am on a very tight budget right now so joining a gym or organized activity is out of the question at this time. I also don't drive so I have to find local things to do. This does work in my favor because we walk or bike everywhere in my city so I already get a fair amount of exercise on an average day. I also tend to get overwhelmed and panicked by the thought of having to MAKE myself do a formal workout so I prefer outdoor walking or a casual plan.

New calorie counting site : myfitnesspal.com
    New calorie allotment: 1200 - 1350

Exercise:
    • brisk outdoor walking 3 times a week for 45 mins (3.5 miles)
    • strength training twice a week
    • possible cardio workout video 1-2 times a week

Diet:
    • cut out all of the refined sugars..once again
    • continue with my usual diet plan during the day
    • ***finally beat the night time eating*** This is my downfall!
    • stop seeking desert after dinner, no matter how small

Eating after dinner is, by far, my toughest battle I am going to have to face. Even throughout my weight loss, I still ate at night but I just skipped breakfast so I could do it. I ate an entire bag of chips every night as a child, then progressed to dinner size portions as an adult. I need to break this cycle. It just has to stop, somehow.
    I feel like a newbie coming here for advice LOL. I should be giving the advice as this is all old hat to me . I guess everyone falls sometimes. I have chosen to get back up. Getting fat again is NOT an option!

Any suggestions or encouragement
  • Night time eating doesn't have to be a bad thing. In the evening is when I get hungry so I would go crazy if I couldn't eat after dinner. The key is obviously just to eat the right kinds of food. I eat at 2pm, 5:30pm and 7:30pm. My last meal is more like a bunch of snacks, but they are foods on plan. I usually have 2 hard boiled eggs, an apple, a serving of nuts (pistachios or almonds) and an ounce of cheese.

When I would diet in the past and eat a lot more carbs, night time was so hard because the carbs I'd had during the day made me want more carbs. Now that I control my carb intake (usually around 50 net per day) I don't have that want to stuff my face at night feeling anymore.

So basically I'm saying you don't have to stop eating after dinner if you like eating in the evening, just give yourself healthy choices.
  • Oh and BTW, congratulations on all your success so far!
  • Quote: So basically I'm saying you don't have to stop eating after dinner if you like eating in the evening, just give yourself healthy choices.
    I agree with this - make sure to split up your calories to leave some to eat at night, and make sure it's mindFUL eating of healthier choices rather than mindLESS eating.

One thing I love at night is sugar free Jello. No that it's nutritious but sometimes, just a small bit of someone sweet (but with no sugar!) really hits the spot.
  • I just wanted to give you a little encouragement! You can do this!

Maybe you could also look into an "On Plan" challenge. Since your problem is staying on top of things at the moment, looking into a challenge that focuses on either eating on plan, or following some exercise routine might be the boost you need. That way it's not just "lose such and such pounds", but focusing on what you need for the long haul... the actual daily plan!

Congrats on catching yourself and trying to get yourself back to healthier habits. You can do it!
  • I just re-started on June 1 after a 4-year hiatus, so I "feel your pain." Believe it or not, what started me back on the right track was doing a completely different type of diet that I never planned to continue long term: the 17-day diet. I did that for a few days and couldn't stick with it, but oddly enough, just getting through those few days put me back in the "mode" of watching what I eat, exercising, etc. Now I'm back to calorie counting (the plan that I believe is best suited for me for a lifetime). Maybe you need to start with something completely different from what you were doing. Just a thought.

As for the nighttime eating, although I don't think that is my worst weakness, I do have a major sweet tooth, and when I'm in the "dessert-every-night" mode, it is really hard to break that habit. However, if you can just force yourself to get through three or four days, it becomes SO much easier. Break your nighttime routine. Do something different for a few nights so that you won't be tempted to eat.
  • Thanks for the replies They are always so appreciated. At this point, I don't think I am ready to totally give up the night time snack, but I do need to be extremely mindful of my triggers like certain foods and the mindset that it is the weekend so I deserve a treat...etc. My destructive thinking is the root of all my food issues. Tonight I plan on having one cup of dry Special K cereal and a few strawberries. I enjoy both of these foods so I am looking forward to that little snack So far so good for today. Coming here for accountability always helps me get through the day. I just finished dinner and I am NOT going to seek anything sweet except a piece of sugar free gum.
  • I actually did subscribe to that article yesterday. I wonder if they make you pay a fee after a couple emails. There has to be a catch somewhere The first article I read made perfect sense to me though!