3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Question about dating and weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/237039-question-about-dating-weight-loss.html)

psuajblue 07-01-2011 03:44 PM

Question about dating and weight loss

I'm newly single, as of a few weeks ago. Last weekend, I went on (kind of a surprise set up) double date. I had never met the guy before. I ordered grilled salmon...which came served atop a mountain of mashed potatoes. I ate about half the salmon, started to feel full, and stopped. I couldn't take the rest to go because the four of us were going out dancing afterwards. The guy was paying, it was a fancy place (about $75 a person). I felt absolutely terrible eating less than half of my dinner when someone else was paying... it was like I took $30 and threw it away! I have the mentality that I would rather throw food in the trash than "throw it away" as fat, but I felt a little differently when it was someone else's money. Just meeting the guy, I didn't want to be like hey, I have issues with food, so I'm just going to pick at this and I'm not going to touch things that have butter in them. I'm all for cheats and whatnot... and it was good... but I was full. Has anyone found a good way to handle these situations? I didn't say anything about it... just said it was good but I was finished.

alaskanlaughter 07-01-2011 03:54 PM

i would probably have taken it in a to-go box and just "oops, lost it" somewhere along the way to dancing or during whatever was next lol

but i know nothing about dating etiquette either :)

uwfan27 07-01-2011 04:17 PM

I understand how you felt, but honestly, you did what you needed to do! If he judges you for it, that's HIS problem. In hindsight, I suppose you could have said something about being full and feeling bad for not being able to finish it all... but oh well! If you go out again you'll eventually order something you can eat more of, or take leftovers home. He won't always think you're a picky eater :) I hope this works out for you! The start of new relationships/dating are always so fun/nerve wrecking etc.!

canadianwoman 07-01-2011 04:27 PM

First off, taking food you cannot finish on a first date is a BAD idea. Score one for not doing that.

Secondly you could have said that you were feeling pretty full and would anyone else like to have the rest of your dinner. Chances are that one of the guys might have eaten it. That is what I wold have done and adding that it was very delicious but it was too big a serving for you.

psuajblue 07-01-2011 05:42 PM

Love that idea! If it happens again, I'll definitely offer it up!

QuilterInVA 07-01-2011 06:15 PM

You could have asked for a vegetable instead of potatoes.

April Snow 07-01-2011 07:02 PM

if you didn't pick the restaurant, don't worry about the price. and don't worry about not eating everything, you ate what you wanted and enjoyed it. regardless of how much it cost, you shouldn't stuff yourself. Just be appreciative when someone is paying for the meal, but they won't be worrying as much as you about how much of the meal you eat, unless you really only eat a bite or two.

but for future reference, I will often order two appetizers rather than an appetizer (even shared) and an entree. that way you get to a small portion to enjoy but there won't be a lot, if any, left over.

MedChick87 07-02-2011 01:23 PM

Honestly, I've picked up the check many a time at restaurants...and I don't even notice how much food is left on someone's plate, much less care about it. I doubt he even noticed how much was left.