They Opened a Sonic

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • For those of us in the North East Sonic is a relatively new phenomenon. A new location opened a few minutes from my home and I just HAD to go. I mean how cool is it? The car hops on the skates, the drive up ordering and eating in the car? And all of those delicious combination of cool refreshing drinks in pretty colors?
    Well I go online to check out the menu and the nutrition stats. how appalling were they? A burger for 1280 calories? Yea right! and the drinks about 500-600 calories each?
    So I decide I can have a hot dog 350 calories, tater tots 200 calories and a large diet cherry limeade for 33 calories.
    All I can say is YUCK! I was in the car eating just because DH paid for it and i hadn't eaten.
    Wow! Never thought i would get to the point where fast food lost it's appeal to me & the food wasn't worth the resulting gas
    I always looked at people who didn't want a nice order of fries or a big burger and wished I could be like that. Who knew. My dinner sucked, I feel sick but at the same time I'm happy!
  • They've been advertising Sonic in the NE for a LONG time... the closest one from me was always a three hour drive.

I admit they had funny commercials, but I was never tempted.

Congrats on realizing you don't need that kind of food so often!
  • I personally think all of Sonic's food tastes the same - they have the strangest grease ever. Their hotdogs are ok - but anything fried is horrible. But I think there drinks are good (I'm not a big ice cream fan, though). I love their diet limeaids.
  • i've never been to a Sonic before...heck i haven't been to a Burger King or half the other fast food places either...they just don't have much in alaska unless you live in Anchorage, the only really big city in the state...when I go to anchorage, i like to go to arby's and starbucks and taco bell

in the capital city where i live, population about 40,000 not counting tourists and politicians, there are 3 Subways, 1 McDonalds, and 2 Starbucks locations (they make crappy coffee too)...and that's it....Taco Bell was here about 5 years ago but closed up

i can't believe my little sister's town up north, wayyy smaller than mine, has McD, Dairy Queen AND Arby's...and probably a few more too...no fair! lol

and on a side note, i drove through McD today and passed up their new Rolo-flavored McFlurry, even the snack size one!...i left with a salad and a diet soda i was proud of myself lol
  • Here in Florida, I can't even remember -not- having a Sonic. I use to love Sonic because it was a HUGE treat for my parents to take me there. A few years ago my ex worked there and because of our horrible financial situation, sometimes the only food we would get was the food they cooked too much of at the end of the night.

It was okay at first. Then it got to the point all I could eat from their was a BLT. Now? I can't even look at Sonic food without feeling sick.

But, hey! That's awesome that you realized right away that Sonic is not really that appeasing, especially after being away from Fast Food for awhile. I haven't touched fast food in at least 3 months. Have to say, I feel pretty good about that accomplishment.
  • @ Lovely they always played the commercials but you're right there wasn't one even remotely close. I always wanted to go.
    Mary the hot dogs weren't even good to me and I found the limeade to be just okay. I knew I wouldn't like the hot dogs when I saw the raw onions.
    Alaskan I saw the Rolo McFlurry the other day and I wasn't tempted either! And I say you're lucky there aren't all of those fast food temptations!
  • Exjordanaire reminds me of my 2 yr stint at Little Caesars (shudder) can't even look at one when I see it now!
    Every now and again I get a craving for some FF but usually talk myself out of it.
  • I love, love, LOVE Sonic! They closed ours here, so I can't get to it anymore....probably for the best.
  • Good for you! I've gotten so I can't stand fast food, though I still east it sometimes out of convenience/laziness. Always feel so gross after and never crave it anymore. Hubby like Arby's and I will sometimes get their chicken pecan grape apple salad. It's supposed to be a wrap/sandwich but you can ask for it with no bread. Not sure of the calories, but it just tastes lighter than the normal fast food fare.
  • I love the cherry limeades and the tater tots with chili and cheese. Oh and corn dogs! I love corn dogs and they're hard to find at restaurants. I have a sonic about ten minutes from my house, but I haven't been there since i started my journey. Sometimes I forget it's there.
  • Lucky for me, the only thing I like there is their ICE! LOVE the ice!!
  • I admit I was a little disappointed the first time I tried Sonic. After YEARS of seeing the commercials and there not being any around, I finally spent last Summer around the Boston area and there is one there on the North Shore. I went a few times with my boyfriend and my favorite things were the campfire blast (graham cracker soft serve with chocolate covered marshmallow pieces), the slushes, and the mini appetizer combo with small tots, 2 mozz sticks and some jalapeno poppers Arby's is alright too, but I do crave their Horsey Sauce! It was a rare treat that I would get with my mom when I was younger.
  • I agree with those of you who have said the hot dogs are the only thing good about the menu and even they arent amazing. We have a couple sonics here where I live and I've never been a fan.
  • I liked their fries better than the McDonald's ones which are too salty. Like most burger places in New Mexico, you can order Sonic burgers with green chile. I used to get mine with cheese, green chile, and bacon. Maybe it depends on the location, but in my experience Sonic's vegetables were more fresh. McDonald's and Burger King always had wilty lettuce and defeated-looking tomatoes. I'm not much of a burger person, so my planned deviations tend to be stuff I haven't learned how to make myself or homemade baked sweets.
  • I don't care for the food, per say...but I the ice cream and slushes!!
    Orange Cream and Strawberry Cream Slushes are the BEST!
    Oreo Blast
    Any Regular flavored or fresh fruit slush

Of course, I have only had one orange cream slush since April. I can never remember a time when we didn't have Sonic.
    If I get food there, it is a grilled chicken wrap--which isn't that spectacular--how hard is iceberg lettuce, tomato, chicken, and ranch dsg in a flour wrap??