Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

Default How to not lose focus?

Well, I am back, after having gained 10 lbs over my starting weight when I signed up for this. I know my problem - I lose around 10 lbs, maybe 15, feel that I am looking pretty good, take my eye off the prize for several months, then gain every pound back and then some. It is a pattern, and right now, I am at my heaviest, although I have been at this "heaviest" weight many times before. It is just that, at this point, 160#, I buckle down and lose again.

Why can't I overcome this? I know that my issue is probably common, and I know that there are lots of ladies who have overcome this, because lots of ladies on here lose, get to goal, and do not lose focus. So, was wondering if you guys have any advice - how do I keep from losing focus once I lose about 15 lbs. Because I really, really want to get to 130, but fear that this will not happen unless I overcome my mental blocks.

Thanks.
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You've found your pitfall. A good thing! Now we brainstorm solutions.

My first thought was stop using weight as a goal. Instead, try making mini-goal challenges that focus on the actual FOOD PLAN and EXERCISE as the goal.

Old goal: Lose 10 pounds.
New goals: Work out 3 days this week. (Re-occurring goal!)
Stay on plan for 7 days with food.

Reward yourself for the ACTIONS not the reactions (weight loss). That new dress you want... you buy it not "when you've lost the weight", but rather when you've kept to your changes for 6 months. Things of that nature.

Just a preliminary suggestion =) You can find what works!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 148/135/118

Height: 5'4"

You're not alone here. I struggle with the same issue. Once I hit a certain number, I go nuts making sure I stay below it... then I don't stress too much about floating up to it. One thing that has really helped me is to know that while our body can create new fat cells, it cannot lose them once they are created- only shrink them. I don't want to create new fat cells! I also am lucky enough not to have loose skin from losing weight- I worry that if I continue to yo-yo, that could happen for me.
psuajblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I second what's been said above, but I'll add my two cents:

Consider having a weekly or bi-weekly weigh-in day, even when you've lost 15 or 20 pounds. Not daily, so you're not stressing about it and so you feel like you can live your life without worrying about numbers, but often enough so that if you find yourself creeping up, you can take action before it goes to far. I'd add to that selecting a red line number: a number which, when you hit it, reverts you into focusing on your food choices. Maybe when you hit it you start journaling your food again until you've gone down to where you're comfortable. But just like you need to check the lint tray in the dryer every few loads of laundry so as to prevent a fire and keep your clothes lint free, you can check your weight every so often to keep yourself on track. (sorry if that's a bad analogy -- it's laundry day for me)

Last edited by Ferumbras; 06-20-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I think every one loses focus from time to time. I think the trick is to learn how to quickly re-gain focus. I think Lovely hit the nail on the head with suggesting a focus that isn't number-on-the-scale related. I have been trying to focus on my exercise. It has been a few days since I last exercised and I am twitching to get home and get a run in this evening. With the way I ate this weekend - the scale probably went up a bit, but I am just going to focus on exercise and cooking a healthful dinner tonight. Tonight's menu: chicken boobies, organic spanic and some sort of noodly-side dish for hubs.

I find focusing on the number on the scale to be too... demotivational? It is easier to control what I do than that darn number.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

Wow! Some great suggestions! I like, I like!

I will try these suggestions out. Mini-goals is a good thing.
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #7  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Hi There,
I am the queen of losing focus! I know exactly what you mean. I started a diet in Feb.2011 to lose weight for my sons wedding May 7th of this year. My goal was 32lbs. I lost 20 and was feeling pretty good about my accomplishments. But! After the wedding, I just stopped traying. I have gained back 3lbs. I just can't seem to get back on track. What is wrong with me? Why do I punish myself and turn to food for comfort. We all know why, how do we stop?
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL216 View Post
Why do I punish myself and turn to food for comfort. We all know why, how do we stop?
I wonder the same thing..what's wrong with me..I wish weight loss was a class I could take at school becuz that I am SURE I could pass!
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/177/143

Height: 5'8

Hi. I'm in the same place at the momment...about 2 months ago I got to my sticking point..and am struggling. Always happens at the same weight, and it's starting to creep up again, I've still got a lot to lose and am feeling so frustrated....Someone actually thought they were trying to chat me up a couple of nights ago by saying 'I like fat women'...felt worse than ever after that.
Scottiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

lol...I needed a good smile @ the cheesy pickup line.
Seriously tho..the struggling bit is getting to me...I will have to restock my house with good foods....maybe lower quality better quality foods will satiate my cravings
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/177/143

Height: 5'8

I just wish I'd thought of a suitable response, but I always think of the good come-backs after the event.

You've done fantastically to get so close to goal, I hope you smile when you look in the mirror.

I had been feeling really stupid at not having more self control..but am feeling a little more human now. Am going to hit the supermarket later, I am going to come home without chocolate for once.
Scottiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #12  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

ScottieChick, thats terrible - that wasnt in romford by any chance was it
Some great suggestions here, after a week of off track eating, im feeling pretty useless and the exercise goal is a good one!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Did you enjoy what you were eating when you were dieting? Did you feel deprived?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #14  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Red face

Some great advice.

I guess I never stray too much from the scale so I can gauge where my weight is at and if it's in an acceptable range.

I agree with looking at what you are doing to lose weight and is it sustainable? Learning how to make permanent lifestyle changes (a routine) was a big one for me.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/164/158

Height: 5'8"

Scottiechick, I hardly consider you "fat"at your height and weight.Probably because you and I are almost exactly the same size! That guy who used that lame line on you was a jerk. It would have been fun to respond with "I'm glad you like fat girls.Now go find yourself one!"
I have to say it's comforting to see how many people get off track now and then. I like the idea of NOT using the scale numbers as a goal. Today is a new day!
Veal2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote