Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Gaining inches, losing weight

Ok, why can't my body lose both weight and inches at the same time!? Seriously, it's always one or the other.

Anyways, intellectually, I know this is probably just water retention but I'd like to hear some second thoughts. I've been sick since Sunday (ate something bad, couldn't keep anything down, took some medicine to help, fun stuff). I've been trying to drink tons of water so I'm not dehydrated (although it's winter here and really dry so no matter how much I drink I feel thirsty!) but I did eat more carbs than usual because, well, they had more staying power in my system.

I've been more or less back to normal since yesterday (Thurs.) and today I'm definitely normal and am done with the meds but I've gained 1-2 inches each on my bust/waist/hips. However, this whole week my weight has been lower than normal and dropping. I didn't exercise sun-tues because I just couldn't but I ran on Weds and lifted yesterday. I've also started counting calories (was doing intuitive eating before) and have been between 1200-1600/day.

So is this just water weight? If so when should it go away? Like in a week can I expect myself to be back to normal? And seriously why can't this journey have linear weight loss and inches loss? Could it be also from dropping my calories? UGH!!!!

ETA: I forgot to mention the obvious but it's not my TOM, definitely not pregnant either.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 06-17-2011 at 08:37 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Definately water, not fat.

What's causing it? Who knows! Medication can do odd things.

How long will it last? Who knows!

Try not to stress. Easier said than done but stress is never helpful.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

If your weight is down but inches are up, and you were sick in the stomach this past week, it could be a type of inflammation -- your body diverting resources to the affected area, causing it to swell slightly. I'm no doctor and completely winging it from extremity injuries (the way a sprained wrist or ankle swells). So yeah, I don't know, but I wouldn't stress it!
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Agree on the whole medication/being sick = water retention.

Don't worry about it. Just do what you know and it'll come off. It's not a sprint, but a marathon. And weight loss will rarely EVER be linear.........
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #5  
June

That's everyone for the comments. I think it's really got to be bloat because my mid-section is pretty much rock solid at the moment and it's not from having a six-pack!

I'm really hoping this goes away soon because it feels like I'm putting in all this hard work for nothing, sigh.. I KNOW it's only temporary but I think having this temporary bloat has been a lot harder on me than when the scale has slowed in the past because what I'm seeing in the mirror (and measuring) is not something I'm very happy with.

In the meantime I'm trying to drink a TON of water and eat lots of fruit. Hopefully that will help a bit.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #6  
June

Ok, any suggestions for bloating? My stomach has continued to swell and it's getting really, really uncomfortable. It's now 2-3 inches bigger than normal and just as solid as a rock. I'm going to try to cut out salt completely and drink tons of water... any other suggestions?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

I say talk to your doctor if it's continued for several days and is causing you this much discomfort.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #8  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferumbras View Post
I say talk to your doctor if it's continued for several days and is causing you this much discomfort.
I actually already have an appointment set up for Weds about something unrelated to this but I'm definitely going to ask about it. I'm pretty uncomfortable right now.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

Have you increased your intake of fibre and water together? Are you going to the washroom regularly? Sorry for being so personal. But I'm wondering if in your haste you increased those things too much and it takes a while for your body to adjust. I hope you feel better soon and get it figured out.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

are you constipated or gassy?
sorry for TMI.. but that can cause sever bloat, especially the "hard tummy" youre describing
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #11  
June

I think I must be gassy or something, this is just not normal at all.... I have been going to the bathroom regularly I actually look pregnant (and I'm not). I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow so hopefully we'll figure out what's going on.

Maybe it's the fibre? I don't know, I have been eating more broccoli/spinach lately to try and add more volume to my meals.

I wanted to see if it was all in my head or not so I took a picture today and compared it to two pictures I took 2 weeks ago... yeah, I think there's definitely something weird going on here because there really is a huge difference!