Do you measure when you overindulge extremely?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had what I like to call a "buffet for one" last night. I am opposed to the overuse of the word "binge", so this is my rebellion against that. When I had finally eaten my fill, and MAN does it take a lot to fill me, my main thought was "I counted every bite. Who does that?" It struck me as weird that in the throes of this food fiesta, I was counting out 15 cashews, and then 20 popchips, and then 16 what thins, and then another 15 cashews, etc. Weird.
  • Oh, I've done it. It's not a binge, but it is conscious overeating. I do still try to log it, so I am accountable when the scale comes up over the next few days.
  • i count every calorie

and sob all the while
  • Oooooh...the dreaded CASHEW! I have cashew issues...when I eat them, my "turn-off" switch gets broke!

Yup...conscious overeating...we all need that every now and again. It's ok...new day...new eats!
  • Yep, I generally still count every calorie... though my overindulgences usually happen at restaurants or friends' houses, so it's often a guesstimate. But I still take responsibility for it and log it!
  • I do that too! And I view it as progress. Gone are the days when I mindlessly shovel food into my mouth. I am conscious of every morsel and, therefore, the consequences. That doesn't always stop me from eating a "buffet for one" (love that!), but logging it all makes me feel like I still have some control and I think that's important for getting right back on plan the next morning.
  • I suppose it's at least good to know that monitoring your intake has become a habit!
  • You could call it portion control but I don't know if that would work for you.
  • I think it's better to know exactly how much you're eating, good or bad. Before dieting, I started with just logging my food, without altering my habits. Seeing it in black and white (or rough estimates, which I overshot a little) kinda woke me up.

and lol @gagalu
  • I think I was counting because each time I grabbed for something else, it was going to be the last thing. I was going to be "done after this." I felt ridiculous logging "14 thin mints 560 calories." See.....I went over the day's maintenance calories by about 700 calories, nothing to freak out over in the grand scheme, and I really did not beat myself up and the next day I ate well, and that is what is important. BUT I passed up a ribeye steak, (my favorite), a margarita, and dinner out this weekend. Those things are worth indulging every so often. Non-stop eating of just normal everyday foods that I can have anytime, just not ALL AT ONCE, are just not worth it. I'd rather have that ribeye and margarita.
  • Quote: Oooooh...the dreaded CASHEW! I have cashew issues...when I eat them, my "turn-off" switch gets broke!

Yup...conscious overeating...we all need that every now and again. It's ok...new day...new eats!
    I had a coupon for a free bag of Plantar's Deluxe Jumbo Cashews. I swear before I even bought them, I thought about the Joyfulloser thread! LOL I was thinking don't do it, free food is not FREE. But I bought them. Before I opened them I was like once you open them, you know it's all over for those nuts! LOL I can handle almonds, trail mix, but cashews.....like a gateway drug LOL I should put the rest in the kitchen for the kids.
  • I count everything, good bad or otherwise. I actually found that I overate less because I wrote it all down. :-P
  • I track it all, but I can't say I actually count, as in precisely quantify. Even my regular food is estimated. I know lots of people think this is a big no-no, but it's working OK for me. I might not be getting a precise number of calories eaten, but then, I don't know precisely how many calories I burn in a day either.
  • I track everything. Even on those days where I'm hungry and want more. If I'm eating something I need to track it.

It's working its way into being a solid habit. Not that I feel great about overeating, but at least I can say I've been 100% honest about what my intake has been instead of sweeping it under the rug and saying it was "a lot". Sometimes it wasn't as much as I thought... and sometimes I need to see that it was indeed a whole lot of food.
  • I track everything! Even that time I made a mistake and ordered that 1500 calorie burger from Friday's! (Not counting the fries). It's painful to see, but I think it's still helpful.