Measuring... help!

• Ok, how and where do you measure yourself? I realized in the 30 Day Shred thread when we were putting in starting stats that I have NO IDEA. But I'm pretty sure I do not have a 27.5 inch waist and a 23 inch thigh.

So umm... where do you put the tape measure for waist, thigh, bicep, etc? Especially waist. I fit and sell bras for a living, so I am pretty clear on things like bust and rib, but other than that I'm lost.
  • The most important thing is to measure in the same place every time so you know if it has truly changed...

For waist just make sure the tape stays parallel to the ground, and use your belly button as a reference point (at, an inch above or below, etc). I measure bicep and thigh at the largest/widest point.
  • Thank you! I was measuring at the narrowest point of my waist, but it just didn't seem quite right.
  • I measure my waist at its narrowest and everything else at it's widest. I have a place on me that just feels "waist-y". Everything else is a crapshoot.
  • You could measure your waist in more than one place. I measure at the narrowest part of my waist, and also around my bellybutton. In the past 2.5 months, I've lost about 1.5 inches off the narrowest part of my waist, but about 3.5" off my bellybutton measurement. So I was glad I took both measurements!