Averaging Weight Loss?

• Hi everyone!

As I'm sure plenty of people are aware, the number on the scale can vary greatly depending on what time of the day, week or month you hop onto it.

I keep track of my weight by recording it onto a chart I made, and I measure and weigh myself every Sunday morning. Sometimes the number on the scale is disappointing, especially when I've weighed myself "unofficially" in the week and got a lower number.

So I thought of an idea to weigh myself every day in the week and then on Sunday find out the average weight that I was hitting that week and record that number on my official weight loss chart.

It seemed to be a great idea to myself, but when I told my boyfriend about it he said it was stupid o_O.

Just wondering if it makes sense to anyone else or I'm just being a crazy person!
  • Makes perfect sense to me .... my husband doesn't understand my scale angst either .....
  • I think it's fine, as long as you realize that all you're doing is playing with numbers. It's not really going to yield you a much more accurate number. I'm saying this as someone with a spreadsheet tracking all kinds of variations. I love doing it, but I also know that none of it is real information.
  • In my weight loss attempts, there have been weeks where I would lose no pounds. It was disappointing, so I started calculating the weekly average on my spreadsheet. Knowing that even though I didn't lose any weight during one particular week yet have steadily lost 2 lbs. a week on average helped me see past that zero. Perhaps your idea will have the same effect.
  • I'm with Jonco. I always enter my Saturday weight as my "official" weight, and I keep in mind my average weight loss over the duration of my journey.

So this week I lost 1.6 pounds for a total of 19.8 over a period of nine weeks. That averages out to 2.2 pounds per week. :-)