Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #1  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Default Question about exercise, more times a week Vs less time a week?

Hello everyone,
Hopefully this makes sense, so I usually go to the gym x3 a week. Workout for about 1.5 hours with cardio n weights..
I was thinking of going maybe 5x a week and doing half the time so that my body got more movement per week rather than just x3/week.. Which is better? Does it make a difference...
I am also looking at the time factor. I just completed my first year of grad school and have one more year to go. I start my summer session and internship on the 6th of June so I want to make sure I keep my stress levels down n get my fitness in check as well...
Help!! And thanks!
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Depending on the kind of exercise you're doing more can be less.

The more intense the exercise, the more time your body needs to recover. Pushing too hard can result in burn out or worse, injury. This is doubly true when you're dieting as your bodies ability to recover in a caloric deficit is not nearly as great.

For weight lifting (or HIIT) I would suggest 3-4 times a week maximum.

Cardio can be done seven days a week but you need to build up your capacity and it doesn't hurt to take at least one day a week off.

Having said all of that - my suggestion since you have more free time would be to try an find an activity you enjoy. Whether it is a sport like tennis or hiking in the hills finding an activity you like is very worthwhile and helps to ensure compliance. Of course, some people like going to the gym six times a week. Nothing wrong with that either.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #3  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

John- thanks I'll keep that in mind. I hear you on finding an activity that I enjoy... I wish I had free time but I don't lol
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote