Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Are you willing to count and sacrific everything to be that size 6? (random size I picked to make the point) Or would you stay the size 10 (my current size) in exchange for still enjoying some of your most enjoyed treats and not having to measure out your wine? lol
I develop my “winning” number strategy and I act on it. Here is how it works:

I weight every day, but record only the number( “wining” number) which I see most of the days as my weight in number.
It was 128 for many weeks, I didn’t count calories, was just making good food choice. Then it become 129 for couple of weeks, I still didn’t count calories.
Then it turned out to 130 !!!! Now, this is my red line, which should not be crossed, so I am back on calorie counting.

From Jan 1 – 31 I went from 138 to 127, then maintain at 128 and now back on counting, so I believe that is what it’s gonna be for me for a while. I can not count every day all days; it is so annoying and as you said “food prison”. But at the same time I can not let myself pass 130 mark , so I will have to count if I must …temporarily.

Love my red wine too, so cheers!
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #17  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm at that place right now. I have been maintaining this weight for 6 months now, not really on purpose but basically by weight stabilizing at the calorie and exercise level I had been at for the previous 18 months as my "plan" was to not make any changes I couldn't keep up with for rest of my life.

So, to tackle that final 20 I tried to cut calories further and exercise a bit more. Trouble is that calorie level triggered some eating behaviours I don't like. So I'm back up to the level that doesn't make me crazy (@1800), and will see if changing my workout routine tightens things up. But at this stage of my life, will accept the higher stable weight , rather than force myself to the lower one and possibly rebound to an even higher number.

Last edited by caryesings; 05-27-2011 at 09:58 AM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #18  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Size 10 is thin to me. If I could be a size 10 and still eat what I wanted, I would be all over that.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #19  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Where does quality of life meet your weight loss? Are you willing to count and sacrific everything to be that size 6? (random size I picked to make the point) Or would you stay the size 10 (my current size) in exchange for still enjoying some of your most enjoyed treats and not having to measure out your wine?
For me, the quality of life meets weight loss is when I can be comfortable in my clothes & be able to wear clothes I like without feeling self-conscious. While I am very willing to sacrifice quite a bit of food, I am not willing to eat things I don't like just because they're healthy or on some diet plan, and I am not willing to completely give up the things I love either. Finding the happy medium is my ultimate goal.

I'm currently a size 14. I was a size 16, altho I flat-out refused to buy anything in a size 16, so I just squeezed my big'ol butt into some half-way stretchy-forgiving 14's. Yeah, breathing was optional.

I am aiming for a size 8. I would SO LOVE a size 6!!!! Being a size 6 would make me deliriously happy and everybody who knows me would hate me for my all-smiles-all-the-time happy-go-lucky state of mind! - but if I get to a size 10 & that's as far as I can go? I'd be OK w/that. I wouldn't consider my diet a failure at a size 10. However, a size 12 simply isn't good enough. And remaining a size 14 is completely unacceptable.

I have lost weight so many times in the past, using different diets (South Beach, Metabolic Research, MediFast, portion control, no junk food, etc.) so I KNOW I CAN DO THIS. Maintenance has clearly been the caveat for me. I simply must settle with myself - once I lose the weight, I CANNOT go back to my bad eating habits. I've always eaten healthy (and junk as well!) - but my hang-up seems to always come down to SIMPLY.EATING.TOO.DARN.MUCH. I just love food! The smell, the taste, the texture, etc. If I wanted a candy bar, dagnabit I'd have one! The "My, that meatloaf was sure good, think I'll have some more!" attitude has got to stop.

So this time I am intent on eating foods I love and substituting where I can. Low-fat mayo, not a problem. Lite ranch dressing instead of regular? Oh yeah, I can do that. Never having pizza ever again? Problem! But I've learned I don't have to have an entire pizza, or even half of one to enjoy it & be full. Two slices, along with a nice healthy side salad is like baby bear's porridge - Jusssssstttt Right. And of course, done properly, pizza can be healthy! In fact, I love veggie pizza, so that's another check mark in the "YAY!" column.

My weight loss this go-round is very, very slow. I could probably cut calories some more & lose faster. But I'd rather do it slowly (even tho it's sometimes soooo frustrating!!) than mess it all up & regain what I've lost (& learned) thus far. Can you dig it?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #20  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
I'm at that place right now. I have been maintaining this weight for 6 months now, not really on purpose but basically by weight stabilizing at the calorie and exercise level I had been at for the previous 18 months as my "plan" was to not make any changes I couldn't keep up with for rest of my life.

So, to tackle that final 20 I tried to cut calories further and exercise a bit more. Trouble is that calorie level triggered some eating behaviours I don't like. So I'm back up to the level that doesn't make me crazy (@1800), and will see if changing my workout routine tightens things up. But at this stage of my life, will accept the higher stable weight , rather than force myself to the lower one and possibly rebound to an even higher number.
While I do track my exercise, weight and food intake - it's more a fun game for me to see how it all unfolds, I don't have an end weight firmly stuck in my head for the reasons you mentioned.

I will continue doing what I'm doing. I will watch what I eat for the rest of my life (no more simple carbs for me ever. I have blood sugar issues which i'm able to control with this way of eating). I will remain active for the rest of my life. Sometimes that will mean needing to jump around to an aerobics video, or it could be vigorous gardening, or housecleaning - whatever. It's just needs to be active. If I do that, I will lose weight. I'm not sure if that will take me to 175, 175, or 155. I just won't do anything, like you said, that makes my life difficult. If I can't maintain it, then it's pointless. What I'm doing now, I could do forever and plan to do forever.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

When I started a year ago, I was a size 16. I ended up a size 6 for a few weeks, a size 8 for a few months and now I am a size 10. I believe I am gaining the weight back due to allowing myself to eat some of the food that I pretty much ignored while losing weight. I cannot seem to grasp the concept of moderation. If I allow myself the goodies-I just crave more of it. It is definitely simpler for me to just not eat certain things at all. It is really not about wanting to maintain a certain size-if I allow myself the goodies, I will pretty much be in a gaining mode period. I cannot maintain a 6 or a 16.

At this point, I have gotten back to eating very few sweets (nothing I really enjoy), no fast food and very little eating out period. However, I still struggle with some starches and in particular I drink wine way too often. I really need to get back on the ball.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #22  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I think your quality of life pretty much means how happy you are. And, dropping everything that makes you happy just to be "thin" doesn't seem like a good thing to me. Personally, I dropped things that weren't good for me that I over did anyways. Cokes, sweets all the time and I eat a bit less now than I did before. I still go out to eat sometimes, I drink once or twice a month. I love love love my carbs. I'm still losing though. I refuse to give up carbs, I refuse to count my calories. It just isn't for me. It may be for others though and that is okay.

I think it is just something you decide with yourself. If the day comes when I quit losing I'll readjust my diet, or my exercising but I wont be dropping things completely. As much as I want to lose weight, I refuse to turn into someone who revolves their whole life around it. I don't want to be a girl that gets so skinny it's gross, nor do I want the body of a little boy. I have huge hips, and I'm built to have some meat. Period. Yes, I am losing weight. Yes, I am toning up. Do I have unrealistic expectations? Nope. Am I living an unhappy life because of what I've changed? Nope.

It is just what makes you happy and where you feel good about yourself. That's really about it.

We are all different. But, for me. If I hit a plateau or start gaining I'd implement more exercise or different exercise before changing the way I eat. And, that's simply because there isn't much wrong with how I eat. The more I lose, the easier and more fun exercise is. I'd just add on to it or do something different. I aint been at this very long though so maybe I'm wrong. But for me, it's right. For now anyways And I am happy, so that is all that matters!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #23  

A lot of awesome replies! Its definitely something I've been thinking about. I don't want to find myself hating my days because I'm overly obssesed with my food intake. For me, too much thought, planning, measuring, counting slips over the edge to restricting and starving, then "breaking" and binging and eating out of control. (I have a history of swinging between extreme dieting and binging)

I want to learn to have a healthy relationship with food, where I do not feels all is lost and mountains of guilt because I licked icing off my finger! I have gotten so obseesed that I would not touch my food if I just touched a hotdog (for the kids) because of the greese on my fingers might have extra calories. I would eat my salads dry. I would eat everything dry. NO peanut butter, no nuts, nothing that wasn't a super diet food. Oops, and few carbs! And low sodium....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So my obsessive personality does play a part in why I don't want to start counting eveything. I start EXPECTING to see the results IMMEDIATELY on the scale and when I don't I "give up"....

This time, I am going to continue my healthy balanced eating. I will continue to weigh daily, I always have. But I will give it a month or so, to see if I'm maintaining or maybe still slowly losing. (As I am working out and adding new workouts to my routine) I'm happy enough at this size that I don't need to see a 2 lbs lose every week to be happy. I'd still like to lose a little more and tone but if it takes me the rest of the summer, I'd be ok with that, as I am also working on maintaining this new lifestyle, and not slipping back into old habits.
Maybe if I maintain for a month or so, I will consider "counting" for a week, then taking off a week. Or maybe counting alternating days (like making sure I'm not going over like 1200 or 1500 cals everyother day, then the other days continue my non counting, maintanence eating. I thought about doing that. That counting everyother day (or like Mon, Wed, Fri) might help me not get to obsessed, but in the long run contribute to a slow loss. And help remind me what a day of 1200 cals is like!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote