Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #1  
I think I can...

Default Protein Shake Trial

So I ordered some Protein shake samples online to help me deal with my crazy cravings mid afternoon and before bedtime. They arrived Friday. I made 2 shakes on Saturday and wow! What a difference!!! I was able to make it without snacking at all.
Only thing is yuck they were kinda nasty lol. All of the reviews I read said they were so delicious. Anyone supplement with protein shakes? If so how can they taste better!?
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Did you mix them with water? If so they definately taste better with milk. I use Unsweetened Almond milk. It is only 35 calories for 8 ounces. I have found that none of the chocolate flavors are very good so I always opt for the vanilla protein shake mixes.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I used to use Unjury products and they were really tasty. They also have unflavored powder, so you can mix it into stuff you're already drinking.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Definitely worth it to trial some others. Go to a GNC or other "nutrition" store or health food place, whatever, and ask for samples or trial packs. (hint, if they don't have them, don't order) Some of these things are like 30-50$ for container, thats a big investment if you don't like it.
I do Atkins, so get those, or mix my protein powder with water and cream, so almost anything tastes good with cream LOL, but I don't like any other flavours than vanilla and chocolate. Thats just me tho. Good like finding the right one for you.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've found that flavored protein shakes whether pre-made and ready to drink, or powders you mix with your own liquid are hit and miss. Everyone seems to agree that some taste good and some are nasty. The problem is, it seems that everone disagrees over which ones taste good and which are nasty.

If you have a Rocket blender or a Magic Bullet (or any of the knock offs), they make smoothie/shake making a breeze. Even with the powdered mixes. But if you're going to use the blender anyway, it only takes two or three minutes more to make the shake from scratch.

I buy unflavored whey isolate (90/10 - meaning 90% protein). It's expensive online and in health food stores, but if you're lucky enough to live close to a cheesemaker, they often sell it at much cheaper prices.

There are other unflavored protein powders too - soy, egg, pea/bean.

I borrowed a low-carb smoothie recipe book from the library, and it gave me a lot of ideas for my own flavors.

My basic smoothie recipe is 1 cup of frozen fruit, still frozen (berries are the lowest carb), 1 cup of skim milk, almond milk, or diluted coconut milk, and up to an ounce of whey isolate. Sweetened with Splenda to taste.

I used to use low-carb ice cream in my smoothies, but I can't find a brand that isn't too sweet or doesn't contain imitation vanilla (which tastes bitter to me).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/256/165

Height: 5' 6"

I mix the powder with 50-50 milk and water. Can't taste the difference. I really like the Optimum Nutrition brand. It also really makes a difference using a Blender Bottle.
KLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #7  
I think I can...

Thanks to everyone for the tips! I did use water trying to keep the cals to 100, I guess that's where I went wrong. Almond milk is a staple around here so I'll try that tonight with some ice and maybe half a banana in the blender. Hopefully they are more palatable that way! Maybe next time I'll try the unflavored ones.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

As much as I love my unflavored whey protein powder, I wouldn't try to make a 100 calorie shake with it. The protein powder itself has about that many calories (1 scoop = 2 protein exchanges on my exchange plan) and I'm sure it would taste pretty horrible mixed with just water or any other zero calorie beverage.

Protein shakes (in my opinion) make better meals than snacks. I find I can make a tasty and filling shake for about 250 - 350 calories, but it's hard to keep a shake under 150 calories without sacrificing flavor or texture. It's not entirely impossible, but it is difficult.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-24-2011 at 07:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #9  
I think I can...

@ Kaploids I quickly found out! LOL. It was pretty tasty just the vanilla bean protein powder with a cup of almond breeze & a cup of ice.