3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   5 days in and still scared to step on the scale... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/233171-5-days-still-scared-step-scale.html)

strngsrvrbird 05-13-2011 07:48 PM

5 days in and still scared to step on the scale...

Hi everyone. I am new here...and like many of us, I have tried several times to lose weight before, however giving up several times along the way. Usually this happened after I made a poor food choice, and I ended up so disgusted with myself that I would give up for a while and fall back into my old habits. I have entered into a new phase of my life where I am giving myself a chance to succeed, forgiving my poor choice, and not being so hard on myself. I survived Hodgkins Lymphoma 10 years ago at age 17, and I can get through this! I know it will be a struggle, as I am hypothyroid and have PCOS. Not to mention, I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food.

I started CC and exercising on May 9th of this year. I have actually made it 5 whole days without cheating, and actually feel like I have more energy! I am proud of myself because I have stayed well within my goals and have resisted temptation several times (doughnuts at work, etc). BUT, and it's a big one, I am scared to death to step on the scale. At 5'6", I currently wear a snug size 18, and last I knew, I was about 221 (which was last year). My weight hasn't changed much since then (according to my clothes...lol), but still...I feel like a failure when I get on the scales. I know that this is a measurement of progress, and not a judgement, but can any of you relate? How did you cope with that?

Liz:?:

Ferumbras 05-13-2011 08:18 PM

I can definitely relate, but for me getting on the scale is the best thing I do every day. It keeps me on track and, since I record everything I eat along with the calories, I can see if what I'm doing is working or not, or if I should try tweaking something. It's difficult, and weight every day may well not be for you, but sometimes the biggest step we take on this journey is facing the numbers.

Maybe you could schedule a weigh-in day with a friend/boyfriend/husband? You step on the scale and close your eyes, they write down the number. Then, at each session, they can let you know whether you're making progress or not. Just a thought.

berryblondeboys 05-13-2011 09:18 PM

There is no need to step on the scale, especially if you think it will throw your head in a bad place. Just eating right, moving daily and making better choices is good for you PERIOD. Doing that will automatically make you lose weight, but more importantly, it will make you healthier.

So what, you don't know beginning weight? You already don't know because 5 days could be 1 lb or 5 lbs. What you will know is that you feel better, you can move faster, wear smaller clothes and so on. Just do what feels right to you. I feel I 'need' the scale, but if you don't? Then skip it until you are ready.

JoJoJo2 05-13-2011 09:29 PM

The scale won't bite you, it's just a tool. However if you don't want to step on it, then don't. There is absolutely no reason to step on the scale. Ever!!

There are lots of ways to measure your loss progress. Having more energy is one of them.

So just continue to eat a healthy mix of foods, control the portions, continue with the exercise, and relax. You are in this for life, and best of luck to you. :wave:

Lovely 05-13-2011 09:34 PM

The only reason I use the scale is to have an idea of how the previous week went in general. So that when I do get down to a more reasonable weight I can look back and say... I lost xxx pounds.

There's no need for a scale in a sense. If you are the type of person that can judge by clothing, and don't mind not knowing, then don't put the pressure on yourself.

I know for me, I had to be honest with myself. I had to step on the scale, and say "I weigh this much. This is too much to be healthy. I will now make healthier choices and lose the weight."

There's a quote from one of the mods around here that goes something like "We use the scale to measure our success not because it is the most accurate, but because it is the most convenient."

The scale really isn't everything. Promise. =)

Ferumbras 05-13-2011 09:45 PM

Have you considered taking measurements? Some people find this a preferable way to track their progress.

blackace86 05-13-2011 10:13 PM

don't be scared just keep at it and you'll be fine don't give up!!

strngsrvrbird 05-14-2011 10:02 AM

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the support! I hope to be able to return some along this journey.

Well, I had my husband go out last night and buy a nice digital scale. What woman would be happy when her husband brings home a scale?? LOL Anyways, I really felt like I needed to know where I was....and even though it was about 20 pounds more than I thought....I am glad that I know. It is a good starting point and I even feel a little relieved.

Stepping on the scale was a turning point for me. My entire life, even when I wasn't heavy, I always kept my weight a secret...I wouldn't allow doctors to weigh me unless absolutely necessary. It was shameful to me. When I got on last night, I felt like I shed that shame and knew that with all my efforts, I have nowhere to go but down!

Thanks again everyone! You're all terrific!

Lovely 05-14-2011 04:35 PM

Hurray!!!! :D That's so good to hear!

Congratulations on shedding that shame!!! :hug: