Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #1  
~Kim~

Default How much is exercise a factor in your journey?

I know a lot of people say that it's 80% diet 20% exercise. Just wondering how important exercise is in some of your individual progress.

Did you start exercising right away or did you wait until after you'd already lost some weight?

Did/do you increase exercise as your fitness level got better and you got lighter, or do you keep it about the same the whole way?
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I think exercise is HUGE in meeting my goals. I started off slow and as I lost weight and started feeling better I started pushing harder and doing more. It goes with changing my life that I am making myself into a healthy person. I am continuously looking for more ways to squeeze more exercise into my life. I just added pilates and yoga last week, I spin 4-5 times a week, cardio on other days, weightlifting 3 times a week. 2-3 hours of exercise a day.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

This time around I'm jumping more slowly on the exercise bandwagon. I'm trying to take to heart the advice you hear not to make too many changes all at once. So I'm mostly eating less, moving more. Right now I'm mostly focused on the eating less part. I am moving more, but I'm not making it much huge priority. Yesterday my exercise was an easy 1 mile walk, that was it. Today I rode my bike to work, but this will probably be the biggest workout for the week.

I really, really believe in the benefits of exercise. It makes me feel better both mentally and physically, in a way that eating better, just doesn't. But I'm only 8 weeks in, and determined to make this time different than the times in the past, when I jumped into the exercise hard and fast. I think that small injuries I got from pushing myself too hard where part of the reason for losing motivation in the past. So this time I'm going REALLY slow.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Exercise is not my top priority. I have only a few times in the last 3 years actually exercised for the sake of exercise. I mean, I don't sit aside an hour a day, (or even a week) to just concentrate on doing nothing but walking or lifting weights or other "gym stuff". I DO however, MOVE, lift, run, walk...A LOT. I am a very busy wife/mom with a busy life and something has always got to get done, all my movement has a purpose. Mowing, tilling, hoeing, planting, cleaning, highly physical job...you get the idea.

So yea, I'd have never made it if I would have continued to be a computer/tv junkie, so excercise is important, I just don't think that *for me* walking on a conveyor belt leading nowhere has it's benefits in *my life*.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

My exercise actually came first. I realized that I was having issues with depression (especially SAD) and that staying active improved my outlook 100%. So I added in walks around my neighborhood at first, then made them progressively more intense. I moved and then it got to be summer and I transitioned to workout DVDs that incorporated weights and cardio circuits (Jillian and The Firm).

Around all of this, I realized that my mood was improved but, except for an initial drop) I wasn't really losing weight. That's when I decided to build a plan and try calorie counting. I would say that was 6 months after I ramped up my exercise.

Because of the order I did things, I've always considered calorie counting to my main weight loss tool, while exercise is just as necessary but for different reasons - emotions and fitness.

I have periodically retooled my exercise routine to include more weights and change up the cardio. I joined a gym and completed the c25k, so I run now. I don't use the DVDs much at all anymore. I need to keep my routine fresh so I don't get bored with it.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

For me, exercise is a HUGE part of my weight loss journey. I tried dieting when I was younger but to no avail, then I started exercising when I was 18. I just jumped straight in with a gym membership, but when I was 20 I started running outdoors. I say running, it was slower than a jog - I was terrible! I could barely move! But I stuck with it no matter how hard it was, and now I can run around 2.5 miles in one go in 16 minutes! Not setting any records, but it's not that bad for a podgy girl.

When I'm exercising, I don't WANT to eat unhealthily. I actually consciously think "this will just undo all that work I just put into exercising" and stray away from snacking. Granted, I've never been a huge eater, I naturally don't eat that much so I'm lucky in that respect. But I stay away from drinking soda, snacking on chips, sneaky late night bowls of cereal etc.

So for me, it's 90% exercise and 10% being conscious of food - but nothing strict. Perhaps there'll be a point where I HAVE to diet to start shifting pounds, but until then I'll stick to my exercise plan!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #7  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Exercise was a huge factor to me too. For a few reasons. One, because seeing that payment come out of my account each month keeps me motivated. I am not one that likes to waste money! Two, because the muscles I am developing under the fat gives me more reason to lose the fat I have left. It has also firmed up what would be lose skin right now. And third, exercise suppresses my appetite and keeps me busy. I am a recovering night time binger so going to the gym as opposed to the drive-thru’s has been a life saver.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Exercise to my routine is very important. Very, very, very. I have athletic goals that I also want to meet,it isn't all about weight. I feel like I have better energy and a better attitude with my exercise. I try not to stress it, but I try to get it done if at all possible.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Exercise is not my top priority. I have only a few times in the last 3 years actually exercised for the sake of exercise. I mean, I don't sit aside an hour a day, (or even a week) to just concentrate on doing nothing but walking or lifting weights or other "gym stuff". I DO however, MOVE, lift, run, walk...A LOT. I am a very busy wife/mom with a busy life and something has always got to get done, all my movement has a purpose. Mowing, tilling, hoeing, planting, cleaning, highly physical job...you get the idea.

So yea, I'd have never made it if I would have continued to be a computer/tv junkie, so excercise is important, I just don't think that *for me* walking on a conveyor belt leading nowhere has it's benefits in *my life*.
Yes! This is me! Or the me I'd like to be. :O My job isn't physical, but it seems like the rest of my life is, and I like it that way! And not all that activity is toward a purpose, but it'd really like to to be fun! Hiking, biking, exercise is a by-product, not the goal in itself.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post
When I'm exercising, I don't WANT to eat unhealthily. I actually consciously think "this will just undo all that work I just put into exercising" and stray away from snacking.
This part of Riestrella's post (though not the rest of it) is my experience as well.

The actual weight loss, I am sure, is almost entirely due to what and how much I eat. But the exercise helps give me a point of focus, a mental hook to help resist temptation or to stop myself overeating.

In fact, this whole process started with exercise, for me. I decided to get back to lifting, and once I started, I almost automatically started controlling what I was eating, so as not to "waste" the workouts. In the long run, it took a lot of focus on food and food planning to make it stick and last, but it was exercise that got the ball rolling.

Lastly, I love what resistance training does for my body. I love getting stronger and developing good balance. I love being able to hop up from sitting on the floor without grunting or groaning or rolling around. I love to feel my muscles, and see the definition starting to develop even when I am still about 30 pounds overweight. I won't be flabby when I get there, that is for sure.

I'm not ashamed to admit that vanity is my #1 reason for this process - health is really not an inspiring motivator for me (it's too distant, hypothetical, amorphous). And there is no way I'd get the strong body I want without the resistance training.

Last edited by carter; 05-06-2011 at 09:43 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Exercise has been HUGE for me. I battle with mild depression and anxiety. Exercise has REALLY made a big impact on that. If I am happy and relaxed, I am less likely to stress eat. If I am working out hard, I tend to fuel my body for my work outs (eating chips and cr@p makes me feel SO sluggish when I work out).

Also - exercise oriented goals have helped me focus on something other than the number on the scale - something I feel a little more in control of. To say I want to weigh 'x' lbs by 'y' date is not something that I have TOTAL control over. My body has some say in the matter. Where if I say, I am going to run a 5k on a specific date, that is something I can work at and achieve with more ease.

ALSO, the exercise shows changes in my body even if I am not losing weight - body is firmer, clothes fit better, etc. And just the little changes keep me positive and make me feel good about myself. I feel stronger and just... capable.

AND I need to exercise to keep up my energy levels. I NEED the energy to balance my life. I work, I have a toddler, a hubby, a house, hobbies, a busy social life, I am trying to eat whole foods, cook new recipes. I HAVE to have the energy to keep up with it all and then go home and cook dinner. When I don't have energy, I am more likely to grab cr@p.

I could probably keep going on... but I will spare you all!!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #12  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

My dieting and exercise started at the same time on the advice of my Dr. who told me doing them together would give me better results. I started exercise with a 20min beginners tape and have increased dramatically, to a huge collection of DVD's and equipment. No only have I gained strength and lost fat I noticed that my migraines decreased in severity and frequency. Big extra bonus there

As others have mentioned, I feel better about myself when I exercise. I can't explain it but over the past two weeks or so I've increased my exercise {I was in a boring rut} and now just feel better about myself overall. My posture is straighter and even thought I haven't lost much weight, I feel better about my body; I feel like an athlete not an overweight blob.

Basically, the couch potato who hated gym is now searching for the hardest workouts that she can find.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

The only thing that works for me is excercise! As others have said, I find it so much easier to eat right when I work out. I feel better, less depressed, and stronger.

The other thing is that my shape is getting better with this weight loss and I believe that is because of working out. Larger or smaller, my body has always had a basic "chunky" shape. This time, I am actually showing a curvy body with an indented waist.

I have at least 40 more pounds to go but I can't get through it without excercise.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #14  

Exercise is the deciding factor in maintaining and it is imperative while losing weight so that you lose fat and not muscle.

I exercise 2 hours on Monday and Wednesday, and an hour a day the other days of the week. I do water aerobics, water zumba, weights, and cardio machines. I'm 69 years old and in the best shape of my life.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #15  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Exercise isn't a big factor in my weight loss.

However, it is HUGE in helping combat blood sugar and mobility issues.

I don't exercise "a lot"... I walk 30-45 minutes three times a week, then try to garden, walk, hike, Wii Fit, or bike at least two other times each week.

When I do, I don't hurt as much, and my fasting blood sugar is lower.

When I don't, my tendinitis stiffens my ankles with tremendous pain, and my FBG is higher.

So, I exercise.

But it doesn't make any difference in weight loss. I lost my first 50 pounds without any exercise at all.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote