3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I need some help or SOMETHING... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/231508-i-need-some-help-something.html)

slvrangl 04-21-2011 11:34 AM

I need some help or SOMETHING...

I really have no idea what to do anymore. I am overweight, i would like to lose 50lbs...maybe even 60lbs. Actually at this point 10 or 20lbs would be a major achievement. I get all motivated coming here or watching Biggest Loser or whatever. I do well on my diet during the day and then at night i go crazy and eat everything and anything i see. A few times in the past i've eaten so much i've made myself sick to my stomach. I will even have an upset stomach and i will still overeat. What do i do! And i will go out running on Monday, then when it comes times to go running again its raining or something and then i don't go that day or the next day. Its all overwhelming and at night i go to bed hating myself because i want to lose weight MORE THAN ANYTHING. I don't know what to do. :(

berryblondeboys 04-21-2011 11:39 AM

Well, maybe you are eating too little earlier in the day? Or, loading up on carbs which then make you hungrier to make you binge in the evening? You need to learn your cues to what makes you want to eat and eat.

And find exercise that isn't weather dependent. Get some exercise videos, or join a gym, then there's no excuse, rain or shine.

WendeeLou 04-21-2011 12:01 PM

I agree with Berryblondeboys. You say that you "i go to bed hating myself because i want to lose weight MORE THAN ANYTHING" The HARD truth of that is, when you really want it more than anything, you will go and get it.

My BIGGEST suggestion is to continue to look here for support.. even if you have a strong support system at home. And let me tell you why... Your support system at home is definetly important, however they are more likely to let you get away with more. For me personally, my husband is my best support, but if I say I want something I shouldnt have or that I dont want to go to the gym, its easy for him to say its okay, no big deal. But here...not so much. There is more accountability, more honesty, more "bluntness", and more experience based support. The people on this site dont know you from Adam and arent going to lose sleep at night if you get upset or dont like their response, they care enough to support and give advice, but its not like your husband or friend who doesnt want to upset you! There have been plenty of times I have read someones response and wanted to punch them in the face.. but later- I realize they were right.

When you get those cravings and want to eat eat eat, get on 3FC and read some goal and mini-goal stories to encourage you to get to your goal. I also found it very inspiring to read the posts that had to do with over coming these obstacles, if you read the initial post you can see the frustration.. but reading the responses and the last posts from the frustrated one really helps.. most of the time they are able to overcome those feelings and cravings. Or get on and post a thread about your feelings, you will have responses and encouragment instantly, and what better motivation is there then that of feeling like you are not alone and others care!

I wish the best of luck to you. You are beautiful no matter what size you are! You can have whatever you set your mind to. Just have to make the decision to do it 100%. there is no half a$$in it in this game, girlfriend.

M0vingon 04-21-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slvrangl (Post 3818210)
I really have no idea what to do anymore. I am overweight, i would like to lose 50lbs...maybe even 60lbs. Actually at this point 10 or 20lbs would be a major achievement. I get all motivated coming here or watching Biggest Loser or whatever. I do well on my diet during the day and then at night i go crazy and eat everything and anything i see. A few times in the past i've eaten so much i've made myself sick to my stomach. I will even have an upset stomach and i will still overeat. What do i do! And i will go out running on Monday, then when it comes times to go running again its raining or something and then i don't go that day or the next day. Its all overwhelming and at night i go to bed hating myself because i want to lose weight MORE THAN ANYTHING. I don't know what to do. :(

Oh man, I relate so much! There are a lot of ways to overcome this pattern, but it takes some experimentation. The key is to keep moving forward. If you identify that your current eating patterns aren't working for you, try something new. There's nothing wrong with changing the game plan.

You're stuck in a pattern that isn't working. It's time to change it. Find a buddy, get a coach, cut the white stuff, whatever- the point is to do something different. Don't stop searching until you find what works for you.

joyfulloser 04-21-2011 12:40 PM

Couple of suggestions:

1. Plan your daily calories (maybe start at 1500 cal/day)
2. Count your calories
3. Ration your calories like money...when you run out...that's IT! YOUR OUT!
4. Outdoor exercise is good...but you should also have indoor exercises avail (rent/buy a video or go on craigslist and buy a cheap treadmill if you have space).
5. Hang out in the calorie counter's section of this site...you'll get many tips and can even post your daily menu and exercise (I do...see the link in my siggy);)
6. LAST...but certainly not LEAST...SLOWWWWWWWWW DOWWWWN!!! This is NOT going to happen overnight...it will take planning, persistence, readjusting...more planning...a slip up here and there...then again more persistance...catch my drift? Good news is that YOU CAN do it...I did...lost over 50 lbs in a little over 6 months...NOW GO GET EM!:carrot:

slvrangl 04-21-2011 02:28 PM

I've never actually counted calories before. I think i'm going to head over to that section and look around. I've been on the South Beach Diet before and its worked but maybe i need to try something new. And i think i'm still going to try running but if for some reason i can't get out i'm gonna do a dvd. I think i just needed to freak out and write everything down, now a feel a little better. I just gotta take everything one step at a time. Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement!! :)

beerab 04-21-2011 02:37 PM

Mind posting up your daily menu and when you are eating these things? I bet your problem is the same thing I used to do which was eat hardly anything during the day then binge at night.

slvrangl 04-21-2011 02:45 PM

That is exactly what i do. I eat pretty healthy during the day...but i don't think i eat ENOUGH of it to satisfy me. Then when evening comes around i think i can have a little snack, and then that snack turns into EVERYTHING i can get my hands on. I'm gonna start calorie counting tomorrow and i'm gonna spend the rest of today researching it and see what knowledge i can obtain! :D Any calorie counting tips people wanna throw at me i will happily accept! Thanks!!

Txalupa 04-21-2011 04:20 PM

Things you don't want to hear:

Knock out the simple carbs and sugar, they are a huge reason that people get the munchies and overeat! For a week, see if you can avoid eating anything white (besides cauliflower)

Biggest Loser is not real life. Normal people change their lives eating sensibly and slowly making changes.

Things you want to hear:

You can get thin. You can lose weight. You can go to bed without hating yourself. You have everyone here rooting for you!!!

yhahmd 04-21-2011 04:45 PM

Make a plan and stick with it. If it isn't working after X amount of time, come back, ask for suggestions, tweak it, and try again. Find an eating plan that works for you. Have the willpower to cut the soda and junk out completely? Go for it. Don't? Start slow. Try eating every few hours, counting calories, limiting carbs, etc.

I think it's better to try SOMETHING, than to just sit around and feel bad for yourself. And I don't mean that to sound rude- I did it for the longest time. That's time I can't get back now, time I could have spent getting healthier.

You can definitely do it if you put your mind and body to it.

inanesam 04-22-2011 09:22 AM

The biggest thing I've learned about myself through a few attempts at weight loss = I can't do too much too soon, or I'll get overwhelmed and quit.

Weight loss sticks for me when I focus on one change at a time. Like now, I'm focusing on my calories and food choices. I've lost several pounds that way, and now I'm ready to start exercising. The pounds I've lost by trying to keep my calories and portions in check has been really motivating. Once I get that motivation, things become easier and I move on to the next area.

Just a thought! Maybe lack of motivation is just a feeling of being overwhelmed. I know, because I've been there. (=

4star 04-22-2011 09:37 AM

You might be struggling with carb-y cravings. I calorie counted for a long time and constantly fought those cravings. One day my Doc recommended a high protein diet with a lot less carbs, yet not low carb. Once I started eating to fulfill my protein requirements and moderated those carbs, things were much easier to control for me, including calories. I have some insulin resistance so controlling carbs is pretty essential b/c my body doesn't process them very effectively.

Perhaps your carbs are too high and your protein too low? It differs from person to person but I am not the only one who has seen a huge difference by adding more protein and getting rid of extra carbs.

SCraver 04-22-2011 10:13 AM

I over eat in the evenings, too, as a way to relieve anxiety. Now, knowing why I do it, I am working on changing it. I am trying to find other ways to relax in the evenings. It has been a VERY slow process for me - BUT I pat myself on the back for EVERY little accomplishment. "Look! I only ate 3 snacks instead of 4!" Things like that... each step in the right direction is something to be proud of. Also - I mostly only have healthy stuff in the house at this point... so if I want to over do it, it is me going crazy with Bean Salad... or something equally as silly to over-eat.

The thing that helped me A LOT when I first started exercising, was realizing that it is NOT all or nothing. You don't have to go crazy and do an hour of cardio and weight lifting a day to see a difference. Find a simple, easy, 20 minute work out that you can do on days when you don't feel like working out... or if it is raining or what not. On days I didn't feel like working out - it was easy to tell myself - well, it is only this 20 minute easy routine. I can just do it and be done. And even from those, I wuold see things firming up or improving.

slvrangl 04-22-2011 02:43 PM

Thanks everyone! you are really getting me motivated to do this!! :) I am going to start counting calories on Monday and also start walking. I think i am overwhelmed with trying to diet and exercise at the same time so i'm gonna take it slow. Walking doesn't really seem like exercise to me because i enjoy doing it so much so i will do that until i get used to counting calories. Then maybe i will up it to running and/or exercise dvds. And yhahmd don't worry about sounding rude, i need a kick in the butt! I can't feel sorry for myself anymore, i have to DO something about it!

fivestone 04-22-2011 07:22 PM

A lot of people have already given you good advice... I just want to say hang in there! You can do it, just have to find a plan that works for you and stick with it. I wish you tons of success!!