Body Fat Percentage Question

• Hi all,

Can (a trainer) take five skinfold measurements and come up with an accurate body fat percentage?

I'm asking as the trainer today came up with a figure of 28% which is alot lower than I expected ....

This even is in a healthy range according to him (the higher end) ....

I guess I get fixated on trying to get to 72kg to be in the healthy range according to BMI?

I still feel so far off .... and think he may be giving me false hope that my weight now is healthy???
  • I thought body fat was a more accurate measurement than BMI?

Maybe you are in the (upper) healthy range because you could have a lot of muscle which adds to your weight because it's denser. My friend's BMI says that he is obese, but he's a rugby player with a big build, there is very little actual fat on him, go figure!

I find it helpful not to focus solely on my weight, I mean I weigh myself because it's a quick way to find out how I'm doing, but really I focus on photographs and measurements. I won't be annoyed if I gain weight but lose inches but I want to be fit as opposed to skin and I want to look good as opposed to be light.

(I'm not an expert, I'm just guessing based on the research I've done, probably best to ask your trainer.)