Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy I don't get it. :(

Okay so I had been on a new lifestyle since March 20th 2011 and I had lost so far 14.4 lb and was so close to Onederland that I couldn't help but be excited to wake up and weigh myself this morning.

I went to work yesterday, had my usual breakfast (300 cals) then for my snack I had an apple (80 cals) and I had to skip lunch because I had to go home and get ready for an interview. My interview was at 4, and I was done by 5. My fiancé then decided on going to eat at Pizza Hut. (Yes, I know...BAD BAD BOY! ) So I went with him, but had 2 slices of a medium pizza. (My fitness pal evaluated it at about 400 cals). I let him, well actually begged him, to eat the other 6 lol.

I felt guilty, yes, but then again I was doing good right, so close to wonderland and figured I would just burn it off when I got home.

So when I got home, I went on my elliptical and did 40 minutes and burnt off about 500 calories.

I woke up this morning, and REALLY hoping to see Onederland on my scale.

Instead, I went up 2 pound?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
2 POUNDS!!???!?!?!?!?

No it can't be! so I weigh myself again, and YEP, it's right there, staring me in the face.

Back to 202.4...

I am SO upset, I know it may be water retention, I know it may be a bunch of things under the sun, but I still can't help but feel sad.

It's not TOM or anything, I just hope it magically goes away tomorrow.

Can it be that that pizza was not 400 calories, but really over 7000? LOL
I know it sounds crazy, but what else could it be??
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

I am always up a couple pounds after pizza. For a couple days anyway. I assume its the sodium...
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #3  

Thanks Jonesie!

I hadn't thought about the sodium, until you lit a lightbulb in my head.
Hehe I'm going to make sure I drink plenty of water today to flush it out.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Np! I love pizza more than sunshine so Im very experienced with this... Lol
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

Pizza is salty. Also 400 calories for 2 slices seems kind of low to me, but it still seems like a reasonable calorie day. I'm sure it's the salt that has your weight up.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

Also, 14 lbs in a month is a LOT, although not uncommon at the beginning of a weightloss journey. You should probably expect your rate of weight loss to slow down considerably.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #7  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

And not to bring rain to the party, 500 calories burned on the elliptical might be a little too much too. But that's just my humble opinion. BUT, there is no way what you ate that day caused you to gain 2 pounds of fat. No way. If anything, you maintained that day. It's definitely the sodium in the pizza and your body holding onto water also to help repair muscles from the workout. If I have hardcore workout I will never weight myself the next morning. It will always show I'm up a pound or even two. After a day or so, I'm normal again.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #8  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Years ago a ww leader told us to never weigh in after Chinese or Italian food the night before ... now they've pretty much expanded it to any restaurant food. Don't set yourself up to feel bad by weighing in after something like that ... enjoy what you could fit in, get in a bit more activity and water, but not so much that you're just peeing it out right away - that does nothing but tax your kidneys. Moderation in it all.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #9  

thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge, i am new at this, and yes I do realize that 14lb in a month is too fast, but I also did go from eating about 3000 calories and no physical activity to 1200 with 30 mins to 1h of workout / day. I do understand it's going to slow down drastically, I just don't like seeing it go up.

I'll do myself a favor and not weigh in after italian or chinese *(makes sense)* and I'm honestly, just going to do myself a bigger favor and just not eat pizza anymore. It didn't even make me satisfied. I thought it didnt't taste as good as it used to
Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Definitely the sodium! I can always count on a gain of 2 pounds or so when I eat something fried or salty. Last night we had Zatarain's jambalaya (quick dinner night -- but I made it with turkey smoked sausage). Salt out the wazoo! This morning...up 2 pounds.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't you HATE sodium?

I can be perfect all week then go to a restaurant and just get a WATER and be up! Okay I'm exaggerating a bit

But yeah- never weigh in after pizza! Unless you just want to see the difference for reference lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #12  

Hahaha oh man, I wish I would've thought of the sodium before I pulled a fit at home. My fiancé was like "YOU'RE GOING CRAZY WITH THIS WEIGHT LOSS CRAP!" And that just seemed to upset me more. lol

Now I have to apologize, I apparently really am going crazy. Hahahaha
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #13  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Sometimes it's like an accident - you KNOW it won't help to look but then we look anyway - what does it say - did I escape the sodium monster THIS time? NOPE! Dangit!!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #14  

LOL!!!! Very true!

Hey, I guess I can't complain, I'm 14 lb lighter than I was a month ago.
but that damn Sodium monster prevented me from doing my victory Onederland dance this morning!
Maybe tomorrow! Haha
Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

SODIUM! I actually did the exact same as you last night. My fiance came home after a brutal trial (he's an attorney) and all he wanted was to veg on the sofa and order a pizza. So, we did. I had already done my workout that morning, and had eaten well all day (of course, looking back on it, I may have been a little high on salt intake before the pizza). So, I splurged a little and had a couple of pieces of thin crust pizza, as well as a small salad. So, I weighed this morning and I was up 3 pounds. All I could do was laugh, and know that it was sodium/salt (and maybe point something actual pounds gained from the pizza). I know it's weird to laugh, but I am so used to getting on the scale and not understanding weight fluctuations, and then giving up on the whole thing. But now, I know how my body reacts to certain foods much better, and when I slip up or supposedly gain a pound, I know it will all be okay in the end, to just keep going. So, I am about to head to the gym after a sensible breakfast this morning, and I know that in a couple of days all will be well! I bet it will be the same for you!

Since you are at the beginning of your journey, I will remind you that this is a journey, a lifestyle change. It's about learning what your body can and can't do, and how your body reacts to certain things. Pay close attention, and I'll bet you'll have it figured out in no time. I feel like my weight loss has been slow, but I'm okay with that. I'm not running a race to my goal weight, I'm creating a whole new lifestyle to get me to my goal weight. I think it's a healthy attitude for me, others may disagree. But, whatever works - and this works for me!

Good luck!!!
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote