Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1  
Not for long!

S/C/G: 350/346/200

Height: 5'6''

Question Help! Getting Started!

Hi everyone, I need some help. I am trying to get started with my weight loss program. I know that I need to eat healthier and watch my portion size. I also need to exercise more. I feel like I get all psyched up to do it and then I cave and run to get lunch instead of heating up the can of soup I brought. My question is how did you start your weightloss journey and make sure that it stuck, that you didn't give up on it. I'm scared because I know it will be so much work and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. I hope this makes sense. I know no one can do it for me, but what if I can't? If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
LackinMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #2  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Hey LackinMotivation, and welcome to 3FC This is a great site with lots of wonderful people, so you're definitely going to get a lot of support and encouragement here!

First off, do you have a plan you're wanting to follow? Calorie counting, low carb, etc? Having a loose outline of what you're going to do foodwise is a good first step. Personally I planned on doing low-carb (my body just reacts best to that) and then I made ONE change at a time. First by cutting out refined starches like white bread and white rice, then switching soda (I only drank diet, but still) for more water, then increasing the amount of veggies I would include with each meal and decreasing the amount of protein to an appropriate "portion size" as we know it. Changing one thing at a time rather than trying to do it all at once made things seem much more doable for me, because hey, it really IS a lot to chew if you try going from soft-drinks-and-fast-food-everyday to veggies-and-water-and-caloriecounting-and-working-out

You've already said you're bringing your soup for lunch, which is a step in the right direction - now it's up to you to commit to eating healthier and having that lunch rather than eating out. You said it yourself, nobody can do it for you, but at the same time that doesn't mean you're going to be doing it alone!
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Ask yourself why you're avoiding that soup? Are you getting overwhelmed by the prospect of staying on track at all times? Well, how about you set up a menu and follow it every day? I agree with the one step at a time. Start by logging what you eat every day into a food journal...then see where you can start making changes.

I would start by eliminating soda and juices. Increase your veggies. Get a pedometer and move more every day. Don't let yourself become ravenous because that's when it's hard to make a good decision. So, if you're hungry before lunch, soup might not sound as attractive, but if you bring cut up veggies and some string cheese as a snack with you and have it before you reach that state of mind, then the soup will sound a lot better.

It won't happen overnight and you may have to tweak your program here and there but you can absolutely do it!!!! Don't think long term...just think in 5 lb. increments.

Try to have protein of some sort at every meal to keep your blood sugar steady. If you do all this and you're still not getting results, you may want to post a typical day and you can get great advice!

Start today and you'll be so glad you did!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

For me, there were two big things in terms of getting started:

1) shopping list when I went to the grocery store and under no circumstances would I buy something not on the list. If I did, I threw it out when I got home.

2) when I'd be at school or work, I wouldn't have money on me, thus forcing me to eat the food I'd brought and not buying something easier or less-healthy that tempted me.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! I think you've found a great place to get this rolling! I started out at the same starting weight as you, May 25th it will be a year ago. Boy, what a difference a year can make if you get down to business!

What I have found is that if you do the work at the beginning to get a really sensible, sustainable and satisfying plan going, then it's all about getting over a big hump. At first, the old habits will try to creep themselves in and it can be difficult to navigate. But if you can just hang on for a few months, really just be a grown up about it and say to yourself, "LOOK, I told myself NO, I'm NOT caving in, I'm going about my plan, I WILL stick to my plan. PERIOD." It starts to become much more natural, and you won't have to "hold on for dear life" as often, it just starts to be something you do day in and day out as usual.

I stay vigilant, because I know the old habits could be back in the blink of an eye if I let it happen, but in general I'm just living life eating in a very healthful way, moving a whole lot more, and standing back to watch the pounds do their thing. There certainly isn't anything special about me that has allowed me to make some big changes, so I know that YOU can do it, too, if you want it badly enough and are willing to do what it takes to get over that hump!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Shannon couldn’t have said it better than myself. It is really about getting over that initial hump. Kinda like starting a new book. At first it’s hard to get into but once you read a few pages, you are hooked! And when you start seeing progress on the scale, your mental attitude toward dieting starts to change. It constantly renews your faith that YOU CAN DO THIS! And the way you feel about yourself changes immediately because you know you are doing something great!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #7  
Not for long!

S/C/G: 350/346/200

Thanks for the help! I am feeling pretty good. Last night I was really conscious about what I had for dinner and I've been really good today about cutting out the pop and drinking water. I feel better drinking the water too! I am so hopeful seeing all the progress that everyone has made and it is such a supporting community!!
LackinMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

That is excellent! I'm so happy to hear that you've started and are already feeling the positive differences!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #9  

For me it's making sure my house doesn't run out of healthy options...that and what's been helpful was joining a gym class on campus...making be accountable because I don't want a "fail" on the transcripts because I was too lazy to show up. So I've had a semester to make working out habit. The true test is in a couple weeks when semester is over and it's up to me to keep it going.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/183/130

Height: 5'6"

Someone on this site once said something along the lines of "You have to want it (exercise, losing weight, being healthy) more than you want anything else".
When I first started out I went to a bunch of different sites and found some basic meal plans that weren't going to break the bank. www.freedieting.com has some excellent plans that really do fill you up.

Cook up some stuff on the weekend (Brown rice, chicken cutlets, shrimp, sauteed veggies, hardboiled eggs) then you'll have options for the rest of the week. Just be careful to watch portion sizes.

Goodluck and don't give up!
shimmmer178 is offline   Reply With Quote