Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #1  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Post Looking back to when you first began

Starting to lose weight is really hard. Everyone on this site has been there at least once. Many newbies struggle with thoughts of discouragement, wondering if all the hard work will ever pay off. I was hoping some of you might be willing to share your experiences with us as a way to encourage us newbies and give you a chance to look back on all the progress you've made.

Approximately how much had you lost when you first noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? How did it make you feel?

When was the first time someone commented on your weight loss or how great you looked?

What was the first reward you treated yourself with and what was the goal you reached to get it?

What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then?

The first time you bought clothes in a smaller size, what did you buy? Do you still have it? Wear it?

Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before?

Is there a particular moment during this journey that stands out the most in your mind?
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Approximately how much had you lost when you first noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? How did it make you feel?

I noticed a difference in how I looked after about 10lb. It wasn't a staggering difference, but it WAS a difference that I could see.

When was the first time someone commented on your weight loss or how great you looked?

Probably after I lost 20lb.

What was the first reward you treated yourself with and what was the goal you reached to get it?

I don't remember the first reward to be honest. I don't really do rewards, since I don't work and don't have a lot of spare cash lying around.

What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then?

I started doing Billy Blanks Tae bo work outs. I still do them, but now I also bike and do Ricahard Simmons tapes, along with pilates and weight lifting.

The first time you bought clothes in a smaller size, what did you buy? Do you still have it? Wear it?

I bought a couple of shirts, and yes I still wear them.

Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before?

I can't stand peanut butter or sea food anymore.

Is there a particular moment during this journey that stands out the most in your mind?

More like every moment I ever binged and then hopped right back on track. Before, when I binged, I would just call it quits for a week, or two, or a month, then get back on plan. Now if I binge, I start up the very next day.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I like this!

20 lbs down and I could clasp my jeans again with a muffin-top. I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to keep on going.

About 40 lbs down was when it was really noticeable to people. (I was about 145-150 lbs)

I treated myself to a hair cut and highlights in my hair when I was less than 175 lbs!

I aimed for 30 minutes of exercise a day mostly on the treadmill. I started off with just fast walking for 30 minutes and slowly added in jogging and eventually running. I do more strength training, increased cardio intensity and incorporated P90X into my workouts. I went from not being able to jog for a few minutes to running for 50 minutes straight but it required building up my stamina and endurance

I bought a few sweaters. I can still wear it now but it's looser.

I don't have any foods I hate but I have started to eat more vegetables. I'm constantly on the lookout for new things I can add to mix it up in the kitchen.

I forgot the exact moment I felt super empowered but it was within the first 2 months of my journey. For the first time in my life, I was doing this thing by myself, for myself and on MY terms. It was incredibly motivating knowing that I could lose weight without starving, depriving myself of foods I enjoyed, and being judged by other people. Even though looking back, I was still obese in those stages, I remember feeling beautiful and so in control!

Last edited by InControl2Day; 04-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #4  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilli Doo View Post
About 15lbs. I could see it and pants started to fit better. Loved it. Still love it!

Quote:
People who know noticed quickly. Others? Not yet!! I am over 30 lbs down and nothing. Unbelievable right? Not sure if they just don't say anything...

Quote:
A T-shirt that says: "The babe with the power"

Quote:
Treadmill, Weights & snowshoeing.

Quote:
New pants. I really couldn't stand wearing the old one any more. I was afraid to get up from my chair in the office and lose them. I still wear them but they are getting quite big now too. Yay me!

Quote:
Nothing actually. I still eat what I ate before. For me it is more portion control and reducing fat/calories. I was a clean eater before. However, I find that sweets are sweeter now since I eat less of them.

Quote:
Every Sunday when I step on the scale and the number gets smaller and smaller. Very addictive!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I remember the first 20 lbs lost were like magic - everything fit SO much better and people started to notice.

I don't remember, either. I think when I first started, I thought about doing "food" rewards. At some point, I realized that that defeated the whole purpose.

When I started, I could BARELY do 10 slow minutes on the elliptical. (My heart rate would shoot up over 200 according to the machines.) Now, I hate the elliptical and run on the Treadmill instead. Monday I did 4.6 miles in an hour.

Pants were the first thing I had to change. My shirts don't change a lot - I have big boobs and big arms. My pants have long since worn out in the crotch and been replaced again and again.

I used to eat things like salsa con queso and pretzels every night for dinner. Or cheesy dip and fritos. Cheese on everything. We went out to eat at least twice a week. There was not a fruit or veggie to be found in our apartment. Now, hubby and I eat things like bean salad with quinoa for snack/lunch. And I LOVE IT! I eat veggies every day. Fruit everyday.

In the last year, I have realized that I will KEEP trying until I lose all the weight. If I have a bad day, fine, I will stop and go back to healthy eating. Also, realizing that for me this is a VERY mental journey. I have mental/emotional things I need to work on, rather than struggling to force myself into some specific diet.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Approximately how much had you lost when you first noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? How did it make you feel? I noticed a difference in the way my clothes fit after I lost about 10 “true” pounds. I am discounting the initial water weight from the first week. So, I guess you’d say about 3-4 weeks into diet. And of course it made me feel empowered! But from the first day of my journey, I emotionally felt great because I knew I was finally on the path of looking and feeling better.

When was the first time someone commented on your weight loss or how great you looked? Hmmm, well --- I am going to say it was when I went down a pants size and that was probably 4 weeks into it. What’s nice is that since then, there hasn’t been a day that has gone by that someone hasn’t said something. I LOVE IT! (And it’s making me a little vain – hahaha)

What was the first reward you treated yourself with and what was the goal you reached to get it? My first goal was losing 10% of my body weight so around 18-20 pounds. And I treated myself to new clothes! To be honest, I needed to get all new skirts and pants and I couldn’t really afford anything else after that!

What did you do for your first workout and how has your workout changed since then? Oh, wow – this is a big one. My first day at the gym I was able to complete 20 minutes on the elliptical at a resistance level of zero. Now, I’m on there for an hour at a resistance level of around 7. I won’t stay on for more than an hour but my goal now is to increase my speed/distance. I want to do a 10 minute mile and right now I’m around 11-12. And I also mixed in strength training. I couldn’t tell the difference in muscle tone in the beginning but when the weight started coming off my upper arms and tummy I was surprised to see how nice and toned it was underneath!!

The first time you bought clothes in a smaller size, what did you buy? Do you still have it? Wear it? I used to wear 18 and stayed in them until I was able to comfortably fit into 14’s. Which now I can no longer wear because I’m in 10’s. I am keeping 1 pair of pants from each size as a reminder of how far I have come. The rest I am giving to friends who want them or Goodwill.

Are there foods you used to hate but now you love? Have you tried any new foods that you had never eaten before? Well, I’d rather say there are foods that I used to hate EATING but now love such as salads. I love making salads. It’s become sort of like an art form for me because there are so many different ways to make them! The only new food I really love is spaghetti squash. It’s cheap, easy and tastes SO SO good!

Is there a particular moment during this journey that stands out the most in your mind? Good question! And to be honest, there are quite a few! I think the biggest one is when I said adios to my friends w/benefits. I no longer needed that toxic relationship. I woke up one morning and realized that I was giving myself the validation I needed. I didn’t need it from him anymore. THAT was a huge thing for me! It was in that moment when I realized I loved myself.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
People who know noticed quickly. Others? Not yet!! I am over 30 lbs down and nothing. Unbelievable right? Not sure if they just don't say anything...
I've noticed some people looking thinner, but I am often afraid to say anything. Weight can be a touchy subject and I am afraid of offending people or making them uncomfortable. It might be that people notice you, but dno't know what to say?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #8  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

Quite a bit, about 30. I felt great it made me more motivated.

First comment was around 40lbs in.

I haven't rewarded myself yet really but new smaller clothes are a reward

I think it was Jilian 30 day shred, now I mostly walk. I plan on increasing my exercise again, maybe joining a gym in the future

Jeans, I still wear them although not very often as they are not really flattering anymore

I like cauliflower a lot more than I remember, all vegetable really

hitting onderland recently was very very special
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm guessing 10-15 lbs. When I could fit back into some things in my closet I was thrilled. Growing out of size 24W clothes was not a good feeling.

It was probably my husband after 10 lbs. or so. I worked out from 09/09-04/10 without losing weight though, so I think he first noticed that I was more fit, not thinner. He was so happy I could walk more. We went to a baseball game and I remember him complementing me for being able to walk from the car to the game to a restaurant without whining that I was tired or he was going too fast. (Now I have to slow down for him )

My rewards are the clothes I need to not look like a clown. Now buying clothes is like dressing up a cool doll. I haven't been this size in over 5 years.

I started working one on one with a personal trainer and we did 30 minutes 2x a week. I did not do cardio at all the first eight months. Now I work out in small group personal training 3x a week for an hour.

Black jeans! My Black NYDJ are one of the most important parts of my wardrobe and I greatly enjoy slinking down a size at a time. Then I sell the old pair on eBay. I have gone from a 24W to a 16W so far.

I didn't used to like yams or acorn squash but I eat them with mild enthusiasm.

-Walking into Nordstrom and telling the clerk I didn't know what size I was and thinking I was 20 when I was an 18 on the bottom and 16 on top.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
I've noticed some people looking thinner, but I am often afraid to say anything. Weight can be a touchy subject and I am afraid of offending people or making them uncomfortable. It might be that people notice you, but dno't know what to say?
And that is totally fine for me. I am not losing weight to get noticed or please other people :-) Thanks for the comment though because I was wondering...
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #11  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

I was probably 20 pounds down and had to wear different pants because my 24s were falling off me. It was grand, let me tell you! Tangible progress is a huge motivator.

I was surprised how long it took - it was 50 lbs down, and then all of a sudden I had a rush of comments, so much so that it was almost embarrassing or overwhelming.

My first reward was a cheap $20 DVD player and iHome for working out in the garage; it was at my first 10% lost.

My first workout was 10 minutes on the stationary bike in my garage...and it was tough. The buildup has been gradual. Now - no kidding - I'm training for my first triathlon (a sprint) on May 7, and I may even do an Olympic length tri late this summer. My workouts are a minimum of an hour a day, 6 days a week. Today is a bike and run day; I'll run for half an hour at lunch and then bike for an hour or so after work. Change, indeed.

The first thing I bought was a pair of size 18 hiking pants and a lightweight windproof jacket. The pants didn't quite fit when I bought them and then got to a point where they were ridiculously large. The jacket I still wear - almost daily, for running and biking.

I have never been one for hating foods, including vegetables. However, I have reconciled myself to fresh green beans - I always hated green beans, but fresh ones are pretty good. I tried lots of new things - for example, Acorn squash, which as it turns out I really like. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes. Various kinds of greens. Flax seed, dried cranberries, multigrain oatmeal...wow. lots of stuff, I guess.

Not too long ago I was writing a post and noted that "in my first year, blah blah blah". And I thought, wow. I'm in my second year of this and going strong. I will persevere, and I will meet my goals. I was very proud, and maybe just a little bit amazed.

cool thread!

Last edited by calluna; 04-20-2011 at 01:22 PM.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

It was around 15 pounds I think. My clothes were fitting looser and my face was a little less pudgy.

Around 20 pounds down is when people started saying that I looked thinner.

I actually haven't technically "rewarded" myself for any milestones - because my rewards in the past have always been food related. It's a mental block for me, so I just don't do rewards. However, when I shop, I will have no problem buying myself a new article of clothing!

My first workout was EA Active Sports on the PS3, as well as Zumba on the PS3 - it was all sooooooooo hard! Now that it is better weather, I am doing a lot of my exercising outside. These days I do 3-4 miles of walking with intermittent jogging (trying to increase my stamina!), as well as weight-lifting. I also do some abdominal work almost every day. I LOVE working out now!

I just recently bought myself a new pair of jeans, because all of mine were falling of me. I also have purchased a few new shirts. I still wear them, because I've only gone down one size so far. And, for the first time ever, I am giving away all of my old "fat" clothes once I grow out of them.

There isn't anything I really used to hate, I love food. I have added quinoa and bulgar, as well as Greek yogurt. I'm sure I will keep adding things in the future.

The first time I fell off the wagon and binged one night, I cried like a baby afterwards. Then, the very next day, I got right back on the wagon. It was such a monumental moment in my journey, because I have never recovered from a slip-up like that so quickly. I always used to use it as an excuse to just give up. Huge moment, huge mental breakthrough.

My second one is when I step on the scale in the middle of day or at night (I'm obsessed with the scale), and I no longer see 200 and something - it's always below, no matter what time of day it is! Love it!
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #13  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

About 10 pounds. But I had lost inches, too (I think; I didn't do my measurements before I started, which I now regret.) And it made me feel AWESOME, because I knew I could actually do this.

Again, once I had lost about 10 pounds. Like I said, I'd also lost inches, and since I'm short, I guess it was noticeable faster? I don't know. But people started commenting on how much weight I'd lost before I even noticed it myself!

A new outfit for my grandmother's birthday party. It wasn't so much a matter of "When I lose X pounds, I'll buy myself a new outfit", it was more a matter of "Holy ****, I need something new to wear because everything I own is way too big."

Well, I don't "work out", per se. I don't go to a gym or do weights or anything. Frankly, all I do is walk. But I have gone from doing 30 minutes 3 days a week to 60 minutes 5 days a week (sometimes 6).

It was the aforementioned outfit for my grandmother's birthday party -- a new pair of jeans (four sizes smaller than my old ones) and a new blouse (two sizes smaller.) It was only two weeks ago, so I definitely still have it *L* and I still wear it, obviously.

Broccoli. I mean, I never really *hated* it, but now I can't get enough of the damn stuff!

There was one night when I was feeling frustrated because my weight hadn't budged in three weeks and I was feeling "fat", so I was cleaning out my dresser (which I tend to do when I'm ticked off.) I started trying on old clothes that I figured I'd need to throw out because they were too small (they'd ALWAYS been too small) and discovered that now, they've gone from way too small to way too BIG. That was my huge *lightbulb* moment, when I realized that all my hard work really was paying off, and that even if the scale doesn't budge for a while, I'm still making better food choices and living healthier, and that's the most important thing.

Last edited by Snoofie; 04-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

About 15 pounds in -- yeah, it took that long -- the waist of my jeans was so loose that I could pull it away from me & look down inside, like I was looking for something I'd lost down in there. Also, my bra band was no longer leaving a deep red groove under my breasts. That confirmed that I was really doing it this time, for real.

Much, much later than that. The inspiring words were spoken by a woman whom I'd worked with, a serious runner, who'd helped me out with accessing our company gym. (You needed your ID card activated so it could be swiped in card reader that opened the locked gym door. Which required filling out some kind of legal waiver swearing you or your heirs would not sue The Company if you fell off the back of a treadmill or dropped a weight on your neck. Also you needed a locker key. Someone in Facilities had to be contacted to arrange all that.) This woman said: "You've lost, like, a LOT OF WEIGHT, haven't you?" Never were words more welcome & yet also very embarrassing. So she'd known I was fat, all the time? And you know what? I was down maybe 30 pounds by then. Maybe everyone would have noticed sooner if I'd stopped dressing like a fat girl before then. It took a new pair of jeans to get me noticed: No more diaper butt.

My weight loss was sort of improvisational: I just wanted to weigh a little less each week. I didn't use charts or graphs or have a ticker here. I hadn't structured out anything, like "If I lose 10 pounds, I get this." The weight loss itself was gratification enough. I did get myself an iPod Shuffle, though, because I wanted music during my workouts. Does that kinda count? Becoming an Apple slave?

Walked. Walked around my old neighborhood, which is, literally, old. I mean it has broad sidewalks & shade trees & houses set back from the sidewalk. It's made for people walking. People walk there to get to work & run errands, since it's pretty densely urban, very close to the Bronx & indistinguishable from the Bronx in some ways. So I didn't stand out in any way for being out there, walking. (I see some people on 3FC who live in newer suburbs without sidewalks & I congratulate them for getting out there when the conditions are less than congenial for walking.) Oh, and my workout changed when I started pushing myself to run a little. Then my feet started acting up, and to keep exercising in spite of that, I started riding a stationary bike at my company's gym. I needed something to do when it rained & I couldn't walk. I also used an elliptical. I tried yoga. I picked up a pair of red Barbie weights. I tried swimming. Now, I exercise seven days a week. I take spin classes four nights & use an arc trainer or elliptical the other three nights. I also do a free-weight routine, take Pilates classes & am a regular at a Monday night circuit training class.

A good bra, which I desperately needed, and had needed for a very long time. (I had many outgrown ones stashed away, but these were stretched out.) Actually I still wear it. Good thing, because it wasn't cheap. Maybe I should call that one of my treats, for hitting the goal of having my straps always falling down on the old one?

Yes, a big part of my journey has been learning "remedial" cooking, since the cooking ways I'd learned from my mother & picked up on my own (reheat in microwave) were not going to support my effort at change. I have never had a problem with vegetables, and my mother did make them more frequently than some mothers seem to have done -- so it's more like there are foods that I felt neutral about, or barely knew existed, and then suddenly became intimately acquainted with. Let's see. An awful lot in the greens family, like collards, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, beet greens. Fresh beets, not out of a can. Kohlrabi and jicama. Oh, yeah, quinoa. Whole-grain pasta And meat, too. Pork loin, flank steak, turkey bacon, ground turkey. And different ways of cooking fish other than reheating something from Mrs. Paul's or Gorton's of Gloucester.

I hadn't seen my parents since Christmas, and I met them in the parking lot of a restaurant on the day before Easter. When I got out of the car, they practically gasped, grinned, and hugged me nearly senseless. "You look great!" That stands out above all the subsequent comments from everyone else & even from them. They looked the way they'd looked at my undergrad graduation day, when I finally found them in the stadium after the ceremony was over: Happy, proud, relieved, even a little teary-eyed.

Last edited by saef; 04-20-2011 at 02:08 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE this thread!!! I hope more posts are coming!
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote