Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:06 AM   #91  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Hope you don't mind me barging in here but after reading what choci wrote regarding the "time limits" we sometimes put on ourselves....I could really relate. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds. We are all UNIQUE! So there is no way we are going to lose the same amounts on the same programs, etc. We all have to lose in our OWN time and IF we really want to do this......then we WILL do this.
Ok.....that's it......just wanted to put my ten cents in. Hope ya'll didn't mind. You sound like a nice group too. I've been one of the NIGHT OWLS since the 3fc started this site and love it. Couldn't do WW without it. OBVIOUSLY, since I've gained quite a bit of weight back while being absent from the forum for a while.
Here's hoping you all have a GOOD 2003.....weight loss wise, happiness wise, and all the other good stuff.
Be well and happy,
Old 01-07-2003, 05:05 AM   #92  
No Limit Souljah!!

Default Totally sore right now

Ciao Ladies,

I ran about 3 miles yesterday morning after completing 126 push ups and sit ups (not continuously, we did it in pyramids 15 push ups, then 15 sit ups then 13 push ups and 13 sit ups, etc) So I am totally feeling it today I am aching all over. Leave it up to the army to remind you of bootcamp every once and again.

My boyfriend did the sweetest thing...he told me he too would work out everyday so that I wouldn't have to do it alone, (even though he doesn't need it.) He calls me from Florida every day to tell me his progress.

I hope all is well with you ladies, Clarita, I don't know if i had the oportunity to welcome you so allow me to say that I'm glad you're riding along with us and I wish you much success.

That's all for now
-Dips-
Old 01-07-2003, 08:14 AM   #93  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

How is everyone doing today? Good I hope.

Dips, that sounds like quite a workout.ouch. I am so week I don't think I could do 5 pushups. HA HA

I just "Unofficially" stepped on the scales and it says 170.5. I am so close to being out of the 170's. That feels good. I wonder how come when I am going down these weights feel good but while I was going up anything above 140 was painful? I guess it is all in the mind.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #94  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Wow Dips! That is some workout. Like, Angie, there is no way I could compete. I think I am roughing it after the 5the pushup. Whew and I feel it the next day. Is that awful or what?

OMG! Angie you are doing great. I am trying really hard. So hopefully I can get that darn scale to budge. Actually I am going to go shopping for a new scale. I think my 6 month old, 40 dollar scale broke. I mean I can hop on that darn thing like 5 different times each after the other and it never gives me the same weight. I don't know. I think I am just going to try my hardest to get the scale to move and after that I will just look into shopping for a new one.

Anyhow...my family will begin another weight challenge this coming Sunday and I hoping to do better than I have in the past. But on the other side of the coin it may be my last weight challenge...DH and I are thinking of having another baby. I getting so close to 30 and I didn't want to have anymore past 30. I have put it off for the "right" time...when everything is right. But I don't think you can ever be ready for a baby unless you are like a millionare and even then I bet they have their problems. So anyway it's not in oven, so to speak, it's just a thought we are tinkering with. There is so much to think about before making this decision for instance my school most importantly. So I don't know. I have been having dreams, last night i had a dream DH was the one pregnant. I think it's just my clock ticking and it's just ticking very loudly. Anyway.

I better get going and get on that machine before the feeling goes away. Bye.
Kina
Old 01-07-2003, 10:03 AM   #95  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

Hi Buddies!

I've been snowed under - literally and figuratively - we have SO MUCH SNOW and it's been gray and cold for a week. Sure brings on dem ol' winter blooz again.

This year is different, though. Instead of filling my face with pasta and other heavy duty comfort foods - I've been trying to drop red meat entirely out of our diet and concentrate on tasty vegetables and fruits and poultry/fish and soy. It's taken me since the 12th of December but I finally broke the 156 barrier. I was up and down and up and down there by five pounds some days. Dang female hormonal cycle.

I did have three days where I about doubled my intake to 2400! Eek - and it was Christmas, Christmas Eve and New Years. But everything I ate was low fat - everything. I've kept my (average) fat grams under 20 grams a day for four months now. I figure that if my body wants to wear a thick layer of fat - it's going to have to burn calories turning carbos into fat - it's not going to get a free ride.

I love my $30 digital scale. It has a number instead of a dial, so I get a hard and fast reading when I step on it. Experts say the best way to get a good scale is to step on it five times and see if you get the same reading every time. LOL (And pick the one that gives you the lowest weight! Kidding)

My immediate goal is simple - the next dang pound. Whenever I get down to a new number I rejoice and tell everyone (ad nauseum!) and get started on the next pound. I keep thinking I'm losing too slowly (does this sound familiar?) but BoxerBob says, "What's your rush?" He's right - I've gotten to a weight I was comfortable with for a couple of years so the rest is just sticking with it and realizing that I'm in this for the long run.

I will not (now that we're both eating well) start buying Oreos and potato chips again. If they aren't here - we can't eat them, right? It took us a couple months to get used to eating smaller portions and snacking on fruit and popcorn and dry cereal - it would be stupid to blow that all away. (BB lost sixteen pounds so far!! He's amazed that all he had to do was eat what I put in front of him.)

Well, I guess I used up my word allotment today. Too bad typing doesn't burn calories.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #96  
No Limit Souljah!!

Yeah Rusty- it is a shame that typing doesn't burn calories, well actually it does but not enough to really matter. I'd be 40 pounds right about now!

Angie ( my name too by the way) I'm glad you're moving steadily towards your goal. It's very encouraging. You go girl! and as far as push ups go, I couldn't do that many when I first enlisted. But after so many "Drop and give me 50!" commands, I got the hang of it quick

kina, it does suck, the feeling that you get the next day, not in your arms but your chest. I honestly don't think us women were meant to work out our chests. the pain is so bad I can't give hugs, lol. I'm not use to working my chest area, so that's where i feel it the most.---But enough of that! You're thinking of having another baby?!! that's great! Kids are such a blessing. and I encourage you to have one while your young (if you decide to go ahaed with it) Because my mom had her last baby at the age of 40. and that was 4 years ago. she lost her Mom edge, she spoils the baby as a grandmother would so have em while you still have the energy to kick em' in the butt when they need it.

Well, even though i am sore, i am going to the gym today, but I'm going to work on lower body and cardio to give the upper body more recovery time.

Later Gals!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM   #97  

Congrats Angie and Rusty!! I knwo that is such a great feeling when you hop on the scale and see that is has actually gone down.

Kina you aren't going to forget us if you get pregnant are you?

Dips I hate working chest. It is my weakest spot but of coures hubby pushes me and calls me a girl if I wimp out. Of course that always pushes me a little more. I don't want him to think I am weak.

Hi to all to come.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #98  

O.K. The last time I tried to do a push-up, I failed miserably, so 5 would be great for me! What a work-out Dips! It's great that your boyfriend is so supportive of you too.
Angie and Rusty, if you don't mind me asking, what weight did you start at. You're both at weights I would do anything to get to (except eating right and excersizing apparently!) From where I am, it seems like even getting to under 200 lbs is so very far away. It seems I can do well for 4 or 5 days, then I get goofy for a while and it's really difficult to get myself back on track. I've been eating O.K. for a couple of days, but won't get back to excersizing. I do have an ice-skating lesson tonight and that's a bit of a workout for me, but I haven't done my WATP tapes in I don't know how long. Gotta get back to it. I always feel so good afterward.
I know about inaccurate scales too, Kina. I just found out this morning that it makes a difference on my scale where I stand. I've always stepped on the scale and the wiggled around a few times until it got to as high as I could get it and I counted that as my accurate weight. This morning I found out that where I stand can also cause it to vary by up to 3 pounds. Now I know where to stand to get it to the highest weight, but it also shows me up another pound. I guess that's where I'll start from now. AAAARGGHH! Annoying thing!

Jen
238/233/140
Old 01-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #99  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Jen, I originally started out at 265.5 pounds and then I lost it all and got to 130 pounds. 2 years later I had gained back 76 pounds and so now since I have been here (October) I count my starting weight at 206.5 pounds and I have lost 36 pounds. I do 45 minutes of exercise 6 days a week and 30 minutes on Saturdays. I do 30 in the morning and another 15 at 3:00 and lately I have upped it to an hour so I will do another 15 minutes at about 7:00 in the evening. I am thinking of going back to just the 45 for a while though because I don't know if it is PMS or what but my legs were sore this morning so we will see. I am kinda fanatical about the exercise, I feel incomplete if I don't do it all everyday. When I lost all my weight the first time I split up my exercise all day too so apparantly it doesn't really matter if you do it all at once or not. It is easier for me to be able to squeeze it in throughout the day whan I get breaks(especially with 3 little heathens LOL)

I hope this helps you
Old 01-07-2003, 04:06 PM   #100  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Exclamation My Cue to...get my BUTT moving!

Quote:
Originally posted by angieME
I have been here (October) I count my starting weight at 206.5 pounds and I have lost 36 pounds. I do 45 minutes of exercise 6 days a week and 30 minutes on Saturdays. I do 30 in the morning and another 15 at 3:00 and lately I have upped it to an hour so I will do another 15 minutes at about 7:00 in the evening.

When I lost all my weight the first time I split up my exercise all day too so apparantly it doesn't really matter if you do it all at once or not. It is easier for me to be able to squeeze it in throughout the day whan I get breaks(especially with 3 little heathens LOL)

I hope this helps you
wow! Angie I was at your same starting weight (October) but in June of last year and have not been able to move the scale as much as you have. But after reading your post...well...the only left to say is GET MY B TT MOVING! I mean it is the honest to goodness truth. I do exercise just not as much as I should. Certainly not as much as you do. Of course I did at one time but then school, work, and kids get in the way. No excuses to squeeze 15 minutes or something. So anyway I am all better from my throat infection so I plan to get a schedule as best as I possibly can.

Jen~~~ I try to keep my scale in the same spot whenever i use it. Actually I keep it in the kitchen in order to keep me away from the goodies. Almost as if it is telling me "Remembering you will have to be accountable for your actions." Crazy me!

Kempyd~~~ Of course I would never forget about you gals. But you know gosh it's such a hard decision to make. I mean here I am doing so great in school and in my weight loss (even though I am kind of stuck right now ) but the point is I am doing so well and to put it all at a sudden halt. It is kind of terrifying. Afterall, it was only 5 semesters ago that I started back to college...after 10 years! But this time I have the initiative to really do and actually complete courses. Before I was stupid with stupid choices but this time I have been really serious about my studies and to just throw it all away. Because really I wouldn't be able to get back to school not any time soon. Gosh! If I was only 10 years younger with all the knowledge and determination that i have today. that would be so nice.

Dips~~~ I know what you mean. My MIL had youngest child only 7 years ago and she is in her young 50's. YIKES! I certainly don't want to be caring for any little ones at that age. Actually it kind of irks me to think I would 48 if we did have child at 30! We really don't need anymore children we already have 2 boys and 2 girls. And I really want to have 2 more but I can't squeeze 2 in the same year unless the good man above blesses us with twins. It is all just in the thinking stage. I have accomplished so much to just let it all go in order to have another child.

Rusty~~~ I have been waiting to say goodbye to that next dang pound but it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. LOL

I just got back from pampering myself by getting my nails done. I love 'em. This was my first day alone without the kids since sometime in December. It felt nice to alone but at the same time kind of empty. I hadn't gotten my nails done in SO long. But it feels good to feel so feminine. Anyhow they look really nice maybe I will put them up on my avatar...just to be silly.

Okay kids should be home soon. Talk to you all later.
Kina
Old 01-07-2003, 04:37 PM   #101  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Thanks Kina, it is nice to know that I could inspire someone. You sound like your life is way more busy than mine. LOL I work at home and my kids are all in school so I never leave my house. That makes it easier for me.

That is an awesome idea about putting the scale in the kitchen. I always have to keep mine under my bathroom vanity and pull it out since I can't leave it out all the time. I always put it in the same spot too.

You are braver than me...6 kids. I had my tubes tied after the twins. I had them on my 21st birthday and I knew that was going to be enough for me. Brittany was almost 2 at the time. 3 kids under 2....AAAHHH!!!!LOL I love them to death but I don't think I would have the patience for anymore. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by angieME; 01-07-2003 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:57 PM   #102  

kINA, i THINK IT IS WONDERFUL THAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING ANOTHER CHILD! Oops on the caps. I have three and I think I might want another one in 7-10 years. I'll be well over 30, if we do. But then, I don't care about being an older mom. I was a young mom, so maybe I'll try it out at the other end!! LOL. Anyway, I had just lost 30 pounds the last time I got pg. We were not planning her, she's my only surprise! I was pretty upset for a couple of months, but everything worked out of course. It does seem like you have to put your life on hold forever, I know what you mean. It took me till she was 8 months old to get any ambition to lose weight again. I guess you just need to think about how you'll feel 2-30 years from now. Will you always regret not having more children? I don't really know how I feel about that one yet. It just seems like such a huge decision!!
Dips, you have inspired me! I had a lot of upper body strength before this last pg, but I was on bed rest for a couple of months and it's gone!! I am such a woos now. I am going to start doing push ups TONIGHT. 124!! Wow, you must be in amazing shape!
I am doing well with my program. I am increasing the jogging every week and it really feels good!! I jogged for 5 straight minutes today, I find that hard to believe. My new exercise clothes are awsome, did I mention that? The tank top has a built in bra so I wear that over my regular bra and it really keeps me from jiggling. When I first ordered them, I was freaking out about spending that kind of money on workout clothes, but I am SO glad that I did.
I am anxiously awaiting breaking into the 170s that Angies is trying to get out of, LOL! I know what you mean though cuz when we got married 9 years ago, I felt huge and I think I was in the 170s. Well, I haven't seen them since, but I'm telling you, I know they're going to feel a lot smaller this time around!!!
You are a great bunch of ladies, everyone hang in there and have a great evening, TTFN,
Old 01-07-2003, 05:39 PM   #103  
No Limit Souljah!!

More baby talk,

Laney- must be so nice having kids. motherhood (from what I've seen) is the most challenging yet rewarding time in any woman's life. Push ups are really effective, it took me a while to appreciate them because their often used as punishment in the army. But it's best for upper bady because you're working many muscle groups at once. I wouldn't say I'm in amazing shape maybe generally decent shape for my field in the army but I have been placed in the army weight program for being overweight. (We call it the G.I. Chub Club) That's when I really got serious about losing weight. You loose a lot of benefits if you're an overweight soldier and you can be kicked out for it. I got out of the program in September and I haven't looked back.
My next goal is simply to wear a two-peice bathing suit this summer.

Kempyd- don't let the hubby make you feel like a wimp. Upper body can reduce your cup size. I don't like that my boobs shrink as a result of push ups but in the army I have to be able to do 43 in under 2 minutes to maintain the army unit's standard of fitness. So I guess I do them because I have to, they do great things for your arms though.

Angie- I think I'll follow your plan and have a maximum of 3 kids. I am 1 of 8 so I know how crazy it can be.

Jen- I hope you get your momentum up. One thing I see is that you don't appear to be discouraged, you continue to try. But exercise is a must. We don't enjoy it but we need it. By the way, you can stop rooting for my boyfriend now, he just submitted to his local Wendy's Bacon Double Cheese burger with biggie fries. I was a nice thought though.

We'll I'm at least 6 hours ahead of you all which means it's bed time for me.

Remember, weigh in is a whole 4 days away, that's enough time to really push!!

-Dips-
Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #104  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

I keep reading that the key to weight loss is to control your calorie intake and stay between 1200 and 1600 calories depending on your build and height.

Exercise is most important when you get to your maintenance weight. As Gen has said - it's either eat like a bird for the rest of your life or burn the calories by exercise.

If you measure and weigh your food and count your points or calories - you drop weight. Your body burns X amount of calories - you take in X minus 500 calories and you lose weight. I think that the times when I plateau are the times I forget to count the extra calories I take in with larger portions and snack stops during the day. I've been strict for the past five days and dropped the two pounds that I needed to get rid of to break the halfway point to my goal. The little extras add 300 - 500 calories a day and slow me down - then I get frustrated.

I've gotta be more watchful!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:23 PM   #105  
Hardcore UFOs

Hi ladies!

Just wanted to pipe in and say how much I have been enjoying everyone's posts lately.

I've been hanging in there -- just about recovered from last Friday and back down to 280. I have a feeling I might have been even lower than that, but it's almost TOM and I know I am retaining water and all that fun stuff. I just keep doing what I need to do, and I know I will get results eventually.

I did get started with an exercise routine, in addition to my daily walks, starting on Sunday. I have the gazelle but haven't been using it as much as one of the Richard Simmons tapes I borrowed from my mom. The first time I was all over the place (in a bad way!) and very winded, but the second time was sooo much better! And today -- it was almost like cake. I'm looking forward to moving on to some more challenging tapes when the time comes. But for now, I am proud of moving on to the next phase of my lifestyle change. It feels really good. It's making me feel strong.

It's amazing how different my perspective is on this journey since I realized how unimportant the self-imposed deadlines are. It just feels better! I am satisfied KNOWING that I will get to goal as long as I keep up the good work I've been doing.

~~Amy, thinking about all those push-ups Dips is able to do (wow!)
Closed Thread