3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   underestimating binge calories (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/229904-underestimating-binge-calories.html)

nomorenachos 04-06-2011 06:35 AM

underestimating binge calories

I had a huge binge yesterday. I just started using one of those calorie tracking sites, so I simply put down 3000 as my calorie count under the title binge. I thought that would more than cover the amount of calories I'd eaten. WRONG. This morning, after gaining 2 pounds from yesterday, I added up all the calories. The grand total was well over 4000 calories - in one day! That one binge wiped out all the hard work I did this week. How depressing.:(

LisaP916 04-06-2011 08:12 AM

But now that you know that, will you pause and reconsider when you're heading for another binge?

I had convinced myself that I was eating relatively healthy over the last few years, despite the fact that both my husband and I were slowly steadily gaining. Now that i' tracking my food, I realize how delusional I was and i'm determined to do better with each choice AND to hold myself accountable for the not so better choices.

nomorenachos 04-06-2011 08:17 AM

Lisa, adding up those calories was a real eye opener. I'd convinced myself that one day wouldn't matter (everyother day is more the truth). There is NO way that I'll go that far again. I may slip, but I'll remember that 4000 calories adds up very quickly!

K-boogie 04-06-2011 08:17 AM

Crazy isn't it?! If I wasn't a binger myself I probably wouldn't have believed it. That's why sometimes when we talk about gaining a pound or 2 and others say no no no you couldn't have possibly gained that much it's just water weight you would have to eat X amount of calories over your BMR........ well there you have it! There are people who can binge on large amounts of calories therefore resulting in a significant gain that week.

Anyway hope you have a better day today. :hug:

nomorenachos 04-06-2011 08:22 AM

Thanks K-boogie. I never realized how big my binges are until I wrote it all down. I'd read about someone eating more than 4000 calories in one day and I'd wonder how they ate so much. Shame on me for not facing the truth until today.

dnnrca1987 04-06-2011 08:34 AM

Calories can add up if you're not careful. Yesterday, I binged as well. On top of the overeating I did, I 'rewarded' myself with a 40oz coke slushie with my meal. That piled on an extra 300+ empty calories that I could have easily avoided! The guilt didn't set in until later that night when I was tallying up my calorie intake, and saw a whopping 3,150! Several of the biggest calorie items were the ones I almost forgot to even write down!

surfergirl2 04-06-2011 12:40 PM

Yup...sometimes when i binge, i think to myself..."ok i'm just going to eat until i feel like stopping, because what's the worst that could happen? i'll eat an extra 1000 calories." but no!! i am capable of eating like 3000 calories in one sitting!! yikes!!!