Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #1  
~Kim~

Default Discoveries about fat.

A month or so ago someone started a thread about the documentary Fathead. I watched it on Netflix instant, and then I watched it again with my husband. I really felt like it taught me a lot about fats and carbs. I learned a lot from it and since then I've been trying to read more about different fats.

I found this article today and thought it was really good and laid it all out very well so I thought I'd share. =)

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resource...nsaturated-fat
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I eat primal, so yeah, I'm definitely down with eating fat! I just had my weekend eggs and bacon.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fat is not bad for you. Then again, neither are carbs. If you watch the movie Fathead and you don't know any better you might walk away thinking insulin and carbs are the problem which is not the case.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Fat is not bad for you. Then again, neither are carbs. If you watch the movie Fathead and you don't know any better you might walk away thinking insulin and carbs are the problem which is not the case.
for some of us, they are the enemy. Certain types of carbs really cause problems for me, and too many in general cause problems for me. FOr other people, calorie counting works and having a balance of carbs with fats and proteins works well, but for me, the low carb is very important. (less than 40 g per day for maintenance.)
So individual this journey. !
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

What I think John means is that fat and carbs are not INHERENTLY bad for you. Our bodies need some measure of each to function properly. It's a much more individual issue to determine what kinds / amounts of fats & carbs work to keep your body healthy.

Like everything else, it's all about the balance that ACTUALLY works for your body.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #6  
~Kim~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP916 View Post
What I think John means is that fat and carbs are not INHERENTLY bad for you. Our bodies need some measure of each to function properly. It's a much more individual issue to determine what kinds / amounts of fats & carbs work to keep your body healthy.

Like everything else, it's all about the balance that ACTUALLY works for your body.
This is very true. For me controlling my carbs is very important. I make sure to get less then 100g a day.

I wanted to share this article because I think there are a lot of people who probably believe just the way that I used to. That eating fat is BAD. You should eat as little fat as possible. I used to try to diet that way and I was miserable. I didn't know that fat can actually be good for you and that our bodies need it to function properly. I didn't truly understand the difference between saturated and trans fats.

I see people posting about their diets all the time, and how they eat super low fat, it makes me want to speak up, but at the same time it's not my business to tell someone else how to eat. I just worry that they are setting themselves up for failure like I did tons of times before.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I know when I first started tracking my food on livestrong.com I was shocked at how much fat I was eating. B/c I hadn't realized... I flipped out for a moment and then was like, "But I've been losing weight!" Now I realize the fat I eat is not the same as the FAT I SIT ON!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote