Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #16  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I did not have a rock bottom moment. I have fought each pound tooth and nail the entire way. But my "This MUST work this time" came about because I knew if I failed anything I lost would come back plus friends. And I had PCOS, insulin resistance, high blood pressure which I was ignoring, plantar fasciitis, and I was starting to welcome death. I was miserable.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 253/192/150

Height: 5'8

I decided to lose this weight after a week and a half into the new year. My mom and dad were going on a diet and asked me if I wanted to join them. Of course I wanted to, because I didn't want to be the only "fat" one left in my family. Since starting January 11, my parents and I have lost a combined 95lbs together. It is such a great accomplishment and I am so proud of how far the 3 of us have come! I look forward to progressing through this journey with my mom and dad until we reach our desired weights where we will strive to maintain.

I'd love to get down to my sister's size... I have a long way to go, but I'm closer to my goal than I was 3 months ago, and that's what matters!
sweck08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
Lame reason to start but I found plenty of other reasons along the way that are far more important to me now.
Not as lame as mine, during an arguement with my EX-husband he said several times in a nasty tone "You got a lot of junk in that trunk." We have never done personal attacks like that, but I really don't know why in the **** it bothered me. I didn't start then. In fact, I think I went out and got Chinese to wallow in that night, but it nawed at my brain for months. Being uncomfortable in my own skin and my bra and pants being VERY uncomfortably tight to the point of not wanting to get dressed were my final straws.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweck08 View Post
Since starting January 11, my parents and I have lost a combined 95lbs together. It is such a great accomplishment and I am so proud of how far the 3 of us have come!
That is awesome! My parents started at the same time I did, but they only lasted a couple weeks.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #20  

over the years I had a few rock bottom moments and would lose weight at the time. But each time I relied on self control and restriction, it only gets you so far. I never dealt with the emotional issues so each time I would get to a certain weight, I then would always gain it back.

Some of my rock bottom moments are

walking 1/2 a block and realising I could hardly breathe because of my weight

trying to buy size 22 clothes trying them on and them not fitting, and finding nothing that fit when I needed clothes

walking in on a conversation where some really nasty school mums were talking about my weight

truelly seeing myself in a mirror one day

* those are just some of those moments.
I must say this time around I am not sure what triggered me to do something about my weight, I am looking back to when I started my journey again (last oct/nov) and this time around it wasn't one moment, it was a need for me to live again, I know i had wasted so much of my life because of my weight and I just had a need to re-join life again.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #21  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I went shopping with a friend at a Fashion Bug. She was also plus-sized, but was picking out cute jeans left and right to try on. And as I started sorting through the racks I had the sudden realization that there wasn't a pair of jeans in the entire store that would fit me. It hit me right then and there that being in a store that offered plus sizes still wasn't enough, that I was too big even for one of the few stores in the mall that actually carried clothes for fat people.

I had a few other moments as well that involved my health, but for whatever reason it was the jeans (or lack thereof) that hit me the hardest. I ran off into the mall and found the closest restroom in one of the department stores and started crying. So many aspects of my life were making me miserable back then and my weight was merely a reflection of that.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
6) Someone I have been internet/poker pals with for over a year (he lives in Canada) is meeting me in the States over Memorial Day. I sent him altered pics of myself.
Sorry to laugh at your rock bottom moments, but this one and your grandma are a little humorous.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #23  

It is good to remember why we started and how we felt back then and how we dont EVER want to go back to that....

Gosh people can be so cruel!
MichelleLoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

I had two rock bottom moments one behind the other towards the end of 2009 and those incidents started me on my journey in February 2010.

1. At my third year residency in Atlanta, we took group pictures, and when I saw my porky face on facebook, I KNEW I had to do something immediately!

2. None of my "fat" clothes could fit, I could not find anything to wear to work...couldn't even step foot into some pants.
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 AM   #25  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

the absolute worst rock bottom moment happened about a year ago, when i was only slightly heavier than i started here (and at the time prompted me to lose about 35lbs).

this might be TMI, but i don't think it gets much worse than this. during an intimate moment with my then-boyfriend (now fiance), he asked me in the very nicest way possible to "please move, you're squishing me".... that right there was a serious kick in the pants!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Default OMG...you lie...not funny, but I get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nfyo0zed View Post
the absolute worst rock bottom moment happened about a year ago, when i was only slightly heavier than i started here (and at the time prompted me to lose about 35lbs).

this might be TMI, but i don't think it gets much worse than this. during an intimate moment with my then-boyfriend (now fiance), he asked me in the very nicest way possible to "please move, you're squishing me".... that right there was a serious kick in the pants!
I can see how this was a motivator....
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #27  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thank you for starting this thread, and thanks to those who have shared some very personal stories here. I've really appreciated your candor.

My bottom came on January 17. I remember the day very well: it was my best friend's birthday, and I had the day off from work, and she and I and another close friend had gone out for a birthday lunch. My best friend had her 13-month old son with her, and our other friend, who was 4 months pregnant, had brought her 3 year old daughter. At that point I had been trying to get pregnant for over a year, and I remember how hard it was to be with them and their kids that day. We talked about what was going on with all the appointments and tests I'd been having, and while I know they were trying to be supportive, their "relax, it will happen, it took me 7 months" advice, and the "are you sure you really want this?" statements as one of the kids began crying or refused to eat, left me feeling very sad and alone.

Right after lunch I went to yet another doctor's appointment. When they took my weight it was several pounds higher than it had been at a different doctor's office the previous week, and I was very upset. I'd been trying to watch what I ate over the previous few weeks, and I couldn't believe my weight had gone up instead of down. When I spoke to the endo and he'd again found nothing in my bloodwork that seemed to indicate a problem, and he told me that my weight was likely the reason I wasn't getting pregnant, I burst into tears. He told me that I had two choices: either stop trying to conceive for a while and he'd put me on a medical weight loss program, or find a way to lose the weight myself and hope that I became pregnant in the meantime. I left the appointment devastated, and completely without hope that I could manage to lose the weight - by myself or with help.

I don't know where the strength and determination came from, but that night I decided that I wasn't willing to give up on trying to conceive, and I would find a way to lose the weight myself, whatever it took. The next day I began restricting my calories and counting every single thing I put in my mouth, and two weeks later I began exercising 5 days/week. I haven't looked back since. This is far and away the best and most imporant thing I have ever done for myself, and it is so much more to me now than just something that might help me to get pregnant. I'm still really hoping that will happen for me someday, but even if it doesn't I will always be grateful that it was what kicked me into gear.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #28  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
Sorry to laugh at your rock bottom moments, but this one and your grandma are a little humorous.
Oh, beleive me, I can look back at my rock bottom moments now and laugh myself. All combined was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

To Michelle -- thanks for the book recommendation! LOL I am going to go out on Amazon right now and order it. Can't wait to read it!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #29  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

To ShanIam and Michelle-- Jemima J is a great book, I loved it! I own it and read it a few years ago and will definitely pick it up again. Thanks for the reminder!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #30  

Ohh my goodness chickadee...what a story..you brought tears to my eyes..but you are an inspiration. Just know when you are down to nothing...god is up to something! Keep up the great work things will all work out.
MichelleLoses is offline   Reply With Quote