Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Eating well on the road

Well, my living situation has been turned upsidedown, and I'm going to be on the road, in hotels, and living out of a suitcase for the next few days it looks like. See here for details --> http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...d-tonight.html

Money is not a huge issue, but I'd prefer not to spend a lot of it. But I certainly don't need to be living off of fast food dollar menus. I know "dieting" shouldn't really be a priority right now, but I don't want to throw it out the window, either. In this scary and uncertain moment in my life, it would be nice to have a firm handle on one thing I can absolutely always control. I've accomplished too much with it to let myself fall apart and make stupid decisions. Food is not comfort, companionship, happiness, or a problem solver. I want to be kind to myself and nourish my body with foods that will give me energy and strength. I refuse to fall into any kind of pity party such as "but I deserve two Big Macs and fries and a McFlurry!!"

So considering I want good, healthy, nourishing, filling foods but I won't have much access to any kind of cooking or anything of the sort...any advice on what my best eating options might be and how I can keep my butt planted FIRMLY on the wagon?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Will you have access to a refrigerator at all? If so, you have more options... but if not, I might haunt salad bars at grocery stores (I hear they sell toothbrushes at grocery stores, too! ).

You could also buy things to eat right away (assuming no fridge), like yogurt or cottage cheese.

Also, lots of fast food places have healthy options. Subway breakfasts aren't bad for example!

Can you get hot water? Buy some tea -- it's soothing, tasty, and helps me with cravings...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

Like Heather said without access to a fridge, your choices are going to be more limited. You will have to keep a look out in supermarkets for ready made healthy things. Or get yourself some wholemeal rolls a bag of salad and low fat luncheon meat and make urself some sandwiches. You should probably try to get hold of some plastic plates and cheap cutlery too.
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

fast food may not be the healthiest option but there is actually a lot of lower calorie stuff out there if you really look for it.

here are a couple links that may be of interest to you:
http://www.allspiritfitness.com/libr...a072702c.shtml
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...es.asp?id=1193
http://www.ivillage.com/starbucks-pe...-191897#191899

Last edited by niafabo; 03-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Are there any stores like Whole Foods, or natural food stores or food coops? They usually have a good salad bar with lots of healthy meal options. I'd get a cooler to keep fresh fruit and some cheese in for snacks. Remember to drink lots of water to keep hydrated.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

My husband travels for his job and a lot of hotels have mini fridges in stock and will put them in the room upon request. Doesn't hurt to ask!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #7  
One step at a time

Thanks guys I'm cheap and tend to conserve resources in times of crisis (money, in this situation) so I'll probably be crashing at some Motel 6's, hehe. Their rooms are usually too basic for fridges, but Stacy, like you said, doesn't hurt to ask!

In theory, I absolutely know how to stay on plan and eat healthy while eating out of fast food places, gas stations, what I can take with me in my car, etc. I love Subway, I like some of the McDonald's salads, and I pretty much have the calorie counts of both memorized, lol. I know most nicer gas stations have premade salads and decent sandwich options. I'll probably hit up Walmart and get some things that don't need to be refrigerated. I just don't want to buy all this healthy food and binge on it just because it's there. I'll probably keep it in my trunk so I can't keep reaching back for it, hehe.

I'm just so scatterbrained right now that even though I know exactly what to eat and how to stay on plan, I entirely trust myself to go into a grocery store or fast food joint and make good decisions. So I wanted to have some very specific foods in mind that I can choose from. I absolutely want to pamper myself with the foods that I eat, but eating the emotions away is not self-pampering. Nourishing strengthening healthy foods are.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Right now I'm living out of a motel in another province from the one that I live in, because my son is in the hospital after a bad accident ( if you can call bullriding an accident!) He will be in the hospital for a long time and rehab after that and I will not eat in restaraunts 3 times a day! This room does have a wee fridge and microwave and coffee maker so that I can make hot water for tea. I have hit the grocery store and bought some things that I can prepare here fairly inexpensively I have also been in other places where I bought a small cooler and ice and kept the stuff in it. You take care you amazing Lady!
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

What I would do, if you're going to be on the road for a while, is to invest in a cooler (you don't have to get too fancy, the Styrofoam ones that they sell at the larger grocery stores or Walmarts should have them).

Fill with ice. Viola! You've got a portable fridge for yogurts, cheeses, salads, deli meats, whatever else you may need. Buy ice to refresh.

I've done this on road trips to have some semblance of a healthy options (whether or not I take them up is another story!!!!).

I second finding grocery stores like Whole Foods that have options for healthy meals that are not fast food.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #10  

Grocery stores sell tuna, chicken, and fish salads in cans, along with crackers and a little spoon.
They taste great and are inexpensive and handy when you have no refrigeration.

There are little cans of fruit and applesauce, pudding, etc in very small containers also.

Also check Walmarts for Parmalat. It is a boxed milk that will last a long time without refrigeration.

And there is also NIDO. That is a dry, whole milk that you can add to ice water. It tastes a lot better than other dry skimmed milks.
If you still don't care for the flavor, then add a little Nesquik Chocolate or Strawberry powder to it. Ask a clerk at Walmart where these items are on the shelves, otherwise you will never find them.

Go on craigslist and see if you can pick up a little cube fridge. You can use it in your room. They are easy to lug around.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #11  
One step at a time

Thanks guys! I think I'm absolutely going to just buy a little styrofoam cooler. I'm really not in a penny pinching situation, I just prefer not to spend what I don't need. But I need a cooler, for sure. That would vastly expand my food options, lol.

And Jolina, yes! Why didn't I think of tuna and chicken salad cans? Convenient lean protein is the one thing I've been having a hard time thinking of options for. I'll buy a loaf of whole grain low cal bread, some tuna and chicken cans, and keep a jar of fat free mayo and maybe some relish in my spiffy little cooler. Issue solved, lol. Carbs are easy to find and deal with (aren't they always?), fruit is easy, even vegetables aren't too hard. If anything garden salads with no dressing are easy to come by. But a good clean protein that didn't need major refrigeration or preparation needs was the one thing I couldn't come up with.

It strangely makes me feel better to plan my great escape down to the last detail. It makes it seem less like a total clusterfunk and more like a big adventure. Something like that, at least
Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

don't forget about beans. If i'm not mistaken they are protein and I don't think they need to be refrigerated.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #13  
One step at a time

I went shopping

I got a styrofoam cooler and ice. Some greek yogurt. Low calorie whole wheat bread. Wheat crackers. Hummus. Some low fat cheese slices. Canned chicken and tuna. Fat free mayo and relish. Some lil' cutie tangerines. A broccoli/carrot/cauliflower mix. I'm pretty much set! I introspectively asked myself if I wanted a Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar. They're 180 calories, and it would be a moderate on-plan little treat for myself. I simply had no desire to get it. What I'm craving right now is nourishment for my health and strength. Amazingly, at the moment of my deepest crisis, I don't have the desire to turn to food for comfort. Interesting. I had the healthiest meal I've had in a few weeks (as opposed to binging or simply not being able to shove anything down my throat). It feels good Tonight I may treat myself to a Subway sandwich, but may not, I don't know if I'd be able to muster the energy.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

Good for you for putting yourself first.

The choices you made at the supermarket sound pretty good. I would suggest too maybe a small jar of peanut butter to go along with the bread too for a quick lunch.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Styrofoam cooler! Great idea! Good choices!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote