Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #1  

Default Question about how fat is carried on males vs. females.

So I have a question about fat deposits on males and females. Several men in my family(obese with monster bellies) and my boyfriend (only slightly overweight), it seems like even though they have an obvious "belly"(more so on my relatives) the area is still very firm and smooth when touched, not soft. I've noticed more on women, however, that the area there is completely covered by the fat, even if it's less obvious than on the male. It's "squishy", has almost no form at all(just hangs where it hangs) and you can feel no muscle through it. For example, you really only see cellulite on women. Our fat really seems just underneath the surface, completely exposed.

I understand that male and female bodies are different and that women by nature have more fat on their bodies, but this seems like a huge, monster difference, even when comparing a slightly overweight female with an obese man. What are your thoughts?
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #2  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

The big, firm belly is called visceral fat. It is fat that is packed around the organs, underneath the muscle rather than on top of the muscle flapping around, being cellulite-y.

From a health standpoint, that visceral fat all tucked in with the vital organs is more concerning.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

what shannon said. men also put the majority of their weight on their bellys where as females spread it out across their bodies and usually put more weight on in their hips buns and thighs.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

My husband has a big belly- but his arms and legs are really nice. I wish I could be an example for him as the belly fat is so bad for him.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Yep. What Shannon said.

My husband always gains weight in his belly first. He SWEARS it's not really that bad because his abs are still hard as rocks. He doesn't like to hear that all his fat is below the muscle, but it is.

It's also the most dangerous kind. It tends to apply pressure to the organs and a lot of other things I don't remember right now. All I know is that the cushy belly fat is healthier than the pot belly fat.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote