Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #1  

Default What's the deal with "starting tomorrow" ?

There seems to be this general idea of starting tomorrow when starting diet, or getting back on plan. I'm not saying everyone does this, but I am totally guilty of this!!!!!

I went to this family get together today. And family member of mine has been on WW and really has lost a lot of weight. I'm happy for her, but it was just a reminder to me (like I needed one) that I've been off plan and really not doing what I need to do eating wise to lose weight. I've gained like 2 lbs. (I'm about 182 lbs) and I'm trying to lose weight before we go away, not gain it!

So I thought, I want to get back on plan. I want this to happen. I've done so well. I don't want to give up and gain. So what do I do, I get the "I'll start tomorrow since I already didn't watch today. I'm doing WW and I have no clue how many thingies I ate today.
I really want to lose about 10 lbs before we leave, which I could do if I could just get my act together.

Blaahhhh....
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I think we all like a clean fresh start. I have started many, many diets in my life, and I think every single one was started on a Monday morning. I am sure I have never started one at lunch time, in the afternoon, at dinner....I have always started them first thing in the morning. Now that I think about it, I think many were started on days like: the first Monday after New Year's Day, the first Monday of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter......
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Be done with putting it off and tell yourself, "I'm starting right now".
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I have always said I'll start on Monday. I mean who wants to start on the weekend??? Not this time. I started on Thursday. Low-carb for a little while.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #5  

Height: 1.67m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaM View Post
I think we all like a clean fresh start. I have started many, many diets in my life, and I think every single one was started on a Monday morning. I am sure I have never started one at lunch time, in the afternoon, at dinner....I have always started them first thing in the morning. Now that I think about it, I think many were started on days like: the first Monday after New Year's Day, the first Monday of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter......
So true.

And in my case it's also a little bit "why do today what you can do tomorrow".
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

It's because every time we do it, we get rewarded with food. That magic phrase "I'll start tomorrow/Monday/on the 1st" is always followed by a plate full of guilt free deliciousness, which just reinforces the pattern, and encourages you to tell yourself the same story next week.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #7  
Happy Member

There is that old adage - "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 03-12-2011 at 08:50 PM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/135.5/120

Height: 5'2"

I have to start everything on a Monday morning - exercise, diet plans - heck, even new toothpaste. I think it gives me time to get psyched and prepped for whatever I'm about to do.
maydaymayday911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I definitely have to (In terms of weight loss at least) get back on track right in that instance. Tomorrow tends to become the day after, and a week maybe, and possibly even 2 weeks after that.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i usually start at the beginning of a new week or on the first of a new month, and i always have to have a huge binge/ last supper the night before where i try to eat everything "bad" that night before since i'm starting tomorrow. i know this mindset is not good but that is pretty much my routine every time i start a new plan.

good luck. you can do this!
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 348/Ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I was always the "diet begins on Monday" kind of girl, but this time I just woke up on a Wednesday and realized I wasn't happy with myself. I walked a mile that day. It almost killed me! But for some reason, this time it stuck. 8 months later, I'm down 100+ pounds and healthier than I've ever been in my life.

Everyone is different though. If you want to wait til tomorrow, I say wait. A lifestyle change is whatever is best for YOUR life. It's about what works for you! Good luck to all and never give up!
IheartZumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #12  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I find myself putting off a restart until the next day because I usually feel so useless/despondent when I've been off plan for a while that I feel like I need the time to sleep and truly reset my body and my mindset.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mainly, I think we put it off, because we learn to. It's how we see weight loss being done. We follow the examples we've seen, without really understanding why. "Because everyone does it."

We know it's a poor excuse. We even promise not to do it, but we do it anyway (because we're taught to do that too - we learn what we see - even if we know we're learning it "wrong").

A lot of weight loss isn't about learning, it's about "unlearning." Learning to do weight loss is ways we've never seen anyone (or have seen very few) do.

Learning not to be a figurative lemming is difficult (trivia: real lemmings don't follow the herd over cliffs and into the sea, that's a myth. Films of this mythical event were rigged. It wasn't migratory instinct driving the little critters off the cliff, it was filmmakers).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-13-2011 at 07:43 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #14  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I used to say "I'm starting tomorrow" because I was so stuffed from bingeing I couldn't eat another bite, I had no choice but to start the next day. lol
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote