Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

As others have said you can't motivate other people. You can only provide direction when they are ready. Motivation comes from within.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #17  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I echo what everyone else has said about setting a positive example rather than nagging or "strongly encouraging" him to change his lifestyle. My boyfriend saw me shrinking and getting healthy and one day decided he'd try running and eating a bit healthier. Now we're both in better shape than ever.

One thing to be prepared for is if he does decide to start losing weight, he'll likely lose it really fast. That can add an edge of competition or jealousy that you may not expect. Remember if that happens that it's an INDIVIDUAL thing, this weight loss journey, and all bodies are different. I get really frustrated sometimes when I feel like he's "surpassing" me but then I sit back and remind myself that it's not a contest.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Ah, what Krampus says is true. I have to lose 80 pounds (or a bit more). My husband has only 20 to lose. I started and two weeks later he started because he saw I meant business and it motivated him. I've lost 16 or 17 and he's lost 5 by hardly doing anything. Men tend to drop weight much faster, so if he can do a mediocre go at it and surpass you, don't get jealous, just be happy he's doing something! It's for BOTH of your futures together.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #19  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Damn men and their mantabolism! lol.

I don't think he should be up all night playing games and watching TV just cuz he isn't working. He should be up by at least 9 am, cleaning the house and what not and looking for work. When I was unemployed I still go up, cleaned the house, did groceries, cooked dinner, etc. And during the day I spent most of my time looking for work, searching job sites, calling around, etc. I still went to bed at a decent hour (10-11 pm) because I didn't want to throw my body on an off schedule.

It would definitely benefit him to sleep earlier so he can get up and workout with you and start his day
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote