Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #16  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
For me they're either a way to set yourself up to fail, or a way to tell someone else that they're failing (and get whatever feelings of power or virtue you get from your superiority).
yes, i agree with that 100% -- especially the setting yourself up to fail part. no easier way to burn out than to force yourself into doing something that doesn't work for you just because you've seen a study that suggests that it's optimal.

it's also a good way to make excuses; if someone reads a study like that and thinks to themselves, "well, ****, i can't wake up that early!", a lot of times they just don't exercise at all.

siiiigh
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #17  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think the best time to work out is when you want to do it. I also do better if I've had something to eat before my workout. When I didn't eat anything and just got up and got on the treadmill I could only do like 45 minutes versus when I have breakfast then get on the treadmill I can go an hour and 40 minutes. Without food I feel weak and like I'm going to pass out.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I have a slightly different view point as to when the best time to work out for me is.

When I don't want to exercise, that is the best time for me.

My eating and my daily routine pattern has always been lacking any sort of self discipline. I am working hard to change that in me. If I am to make this a real permanent life change and not just a temporary change I will need all the self discipline that I can develop.

Larry,
-------
Fitness - if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body. ~Cher
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #19  
shwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I have a slightly different view point as to when the best time to work out for me is.

When I don't want to exercise, that is the best time for me.

My eating and my daily routine pattern has always been lacking any sort of self discipline. I am working hard to change that in me. If I am to make this a real permanent life change and not just a temporary change I will need all the self discipline that I can develop.

Larry,
-------
Fitness - if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body. ~Cher
that's another damn good way to look at it!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #20  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I just wanted to comment on that article and the study it references.

In the context of trying to lose weight it makes no difference when you workout because the workout just contributes to the energy expenditure for the day. So for the vast majority of us it makes no difference when you workout.

The study was one of excess calories. It is potentially relevant in the context of someone who is attempting to gain weight (muscle) because training in a fasted state appears to modify where the body partitions calories due to enhanced insulin sensativity. More carbs are stored as glycogen and more fat is burned as fuel. Thus you can workout fasted and overeat which will put your body in an anobolic state while gaining less fat. If you want to read all about fasting and training go to leangains.com
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 134.4/149/114

Height: 5'2.5"

I'm at my best first thing on an empty stomach (maybe a little coffee) but this winter I have failed in that regard. I do get out there, but not at 6 am, plus I can't run like I can in the warmer weather when at least there's no snow and ice on the ground. So just remind me of this in August when I'm complaining about how it's too hot to run.
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #22  
shwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I just wanted to comment on that article and the study it references.

In the context of trying to lose weight it makes no difference when you workout because the workout just contributes to the energy expenditure for the day. So for the vast majority of us it makes no difference when you workout.

The study was one of excess calories. It is potentially relevant in the context of someone who is attempting to gain weight (muscle) because training in a fasted state appears to modify where the body partitions calories due to enhanced insulin sensativity. More carbs are stored as glycogen and more fat is burned as fuel. Thus you can workout fasted and overeat which will put your body in an anobolic state while gaining less fat. If you want to read all about fasting and training go to leangains.com
thanks so much for that link -- i've been nosing around for information about those things without a lot of luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #23  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I've read from other trainers that they like working out first thing in the morning, but i know i just can't work out on a empty stomach...I've tried. I get shaky. =/

I figured a day i work out whenever i want is good enough for me.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #24  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

I've Google'd this myself, and all i read is that it doesn't matter.

I HAVE to work out in the morning because I do a night shift (until midnight) and the gym closes at 10pm and I have roomates so nothing that late at home.

I also don't eat before I go, as I get a drive from my boyfriend and I usually want to get there ASAP.

So far I'm losing weight no problem (as per my ticker).

I honestly don't 'think' it matters either way.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote