Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #1  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

Unhappy Nervous about job meeting tomorrow

I have a meeting at a residential care home i am hoping to work at tomorrow, its not an interview as such, just a meeting with the manager for me and others thinking about care work, but it may lead to a job. im really nervous about my weight though, that they may not employ me because of it. the logical part of my mind knows thats not true, plenty overweight people have gotten jobs and been good employees, but im so scared of being judged by it. i live in a small town with not many job oppurtunities in the field i want to work in so its very important to me to make a good impression. just need some advice if anyone has any, and some words of encouragment! thanks xx
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Look your best when you go. Make sure what you are wearing fits perfectly. Nothing tight and nothing baggy to make you look sloppy.

Excude confidence and you'll be fine. I started my current job at 221 lbs and I marched in there with my head held high and I still got the job
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #3  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

hey, you're fine as long as it's not retail. good luck!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

The timing of this post was perfect because I was on the phone with my sister who works as an assistant living hospital administrator when I read this. She is not overweight (but she struggles to maintain) and I read her your post. And she said exactly what beerab said....go in with confidence (smile!), dress nicely and make eye contact! She said when those 3 things are in alignment, physical appearance (weight) doesn't matter.

Since this is just a meeting and not technically an interview, you'll feel more comfortable to ask a lot of questions. And by doing that, you'll seem interested and stand out from the others who may be there.

Good luck and report back to tell us how it went!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #5  
Amazing Revelations

thanks everyone, my stomach is already churning but i have picked out my smartest, best fitting clothes, i have nice new shoes i bought 2 weeks ago so that will give me some confidence, and i will plaster a smile on my face and not let my nerves show!
ShanIAm thank you so much, i feel a lot better after reading what you wrote, i am quite good at faking confidence, but however i am feeling i always smile and i am naturally inquisitive so ive thought of questions already, i just have to get into the mindset that whilst people may notice my weight first, there are other things about me that are far more forthcoming once i spend some time with someone
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #6  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSMcC View Post
there are other things about me that are far more forthcoming once i spend some time with someone
And there you have it! You are ready girl!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm sure you'll make a good impression. Good luck and tell us how it goes.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

Height: 5'6"

I just wanted to say, go for it! I am a full person heavier than you, and had my very first interview today at a local nursing home. I left my interview and got home at 11am, received a call from the Director of Nursing at 11:35 and was offered my first job as a CNA!
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #9  
Amazing Revelations

i just got back, wanted to let you all know it went really well!! there were 7 of us there, by the end of the meeting only 4 of us said we were definetly interested, my employment adviser got application forms and i have a meeting with her on thursday so i'll apply then. the manager took down our names so she'll know i've shown interest when she gets my form. i asked lots of questions, and sat right across from the manager so most of her eye contact was directed at me. even if i dont get the job i know i made a good impression, and did my best. thanks for everyones support, if i get an interview i may need some more lol