3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   The weird questions people ask (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/225435-weird-questions-people-ask.html)

CherryPie99 02-11-2011 03:28 PM

The weird questions people ask

So I'm sure that many people here have been asked weird questions surrounding their weight loss. Now that I am almost 100 pounds down, people have really noticed my weight loss. Most people who work with me have known about my journey, others who haven't have started noticing me carrying my yoga mat and workout clothes around the building at lunchtime and have made comments about "keep up the good work".

I've been asked at least 3 times if I've had weight loss surgery - including once where the person looked at me as if to imply he was sure I was lying after I responded that I had not. But that's a question I would expect.

This is the weird question I keep getting "What's your goal?" I'm not sure how they want me to respond to this - I mean, I'm 5'1" and still weigh 250 - it is clear that I have a lot more weight to lose. Is it a number that they want to hear come out of my mouth or what? My general response is "To keep getting less fat".

marianne78 02-11-2011 03:46 PM

I'm not at that point yet where people are beginning to take notice of the weight that I lost (that's still a long journey ahead), but if people start asking me "What's my goal?" in relation to my weight, I'd just say "To be healthy" and whatnot. Your general response of "To keep getting less fat" sounds fine.

niafabo 02-11-2011 03:47 PM

I'm sure they were just being polite and honestly wanted to know. When you said weird questions I was thinking something like "do you sometimes grab your body and push around the fat to see what you'll look like skinny?" (for the record i do that sometimes XD).

DixC Chix 02-11-2011 03:57 PM

How this:

I'm just gonna keep doing what I do and see where it takes me.

Or

To live a long and healthy life.

duckyyellowfeet 02-11-2011 03:58 PM

I got the "how much more do you want to lose?!" when I was at my low last summer.
I just always told people "oh, i'm not sure. I'll stop when i feel done" and change the subject

Lori Bell 02-11-2011 04:08 PM

LOL... busy bodies drive me nuts.

My favorite when I was between 50-5 pounds from goal, would go something like this: "So, how much more do you plan on losing?" I'd give my answer...depending on my weight at the time, and then I'd get, "Oh, YOU don't need to lose any more weight.!"

Well, if you thought I looked fine, then WHY did you assume I was still planning on losing more? You must think I need to lose more if you are asking me how much more I want to lose. Gurrr If you thought I should be at goal, then why even ask that question? Why not just say something like, "you are doing great..." or say nothing.

AZ Sunrises 02-11-2011 04:10 PM

When someone asked what I was doing (before the regain), I told her that I had cut out grain products, mostly because wheat makes makes my skin flaky and itchy. (Which is true.) She told me I had to be doing more than that.

Um. Really? :D I then told her that she'd caught me and I was actually gorging on Doritos and Oreo's....then barfing them back up...and following up with Colon Blow to get rid of everything else.

I heard through the grapevine that she mentioned my response to a couple of other gals in the office who laughed at her and asked what sort of idiotic, asinine comments she'd made to me to get that answer. Good times. Lots of fun.

beerab 02-11-2011 05:18 PM

From personal experience don't give numbers! I think your response is perfect. I find when you say something like "50 more lbs" people freak and act like you've gone anorexic.

CurryMama 02-11-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niafabo (Post 3707207)
I'm sure they were just being polite and honestly wanted to know. When you said weird questions I was thinking something like "do you sometimes grab your body and push around the fat to see what you'll look like skinny?" (for the record i do that sometimes XD).

I do that too. lol

fillupthesky 02-11-2011 05:39 PM

ugh so nosey.

i think a general response that others have mentioned is a good way to go. in the past when i lost weight, people would ask me the same, and i would say "when i feel healthy" or something to that effect.

you're doing a great job :)

JohnP 02-11-2011 05:41 PM

They're all hoping you'll tell them about the magic pixie dust you've been sprinkling on yourself to lose the weight.:D

beerab 02-11-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 3707380)
They're all hoping you'll tell them about the magic pixie dust you've been sprinkling on yourself to lose the weight.:D

HEY! DO NOT GIVE OUT THE SECRET!! SHHH!!!

:D

carter 02-11-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryPie99 (Post 3707172)
at? My general response is "To keep getting less fat".

I love this answer! :D

I don't even have a goal weight - I've never been asked this question (if anybody even notices my weight loss, they don't say anything to me about it) - but if I ever am, I am sure I will just steal your answer. ;)

KellyMarie90 02-11-2011 06:22 PM

I agree with what the others have said, I like to keep it general without numbers. I love the "until I feel healthy" response.
A lot of people tend to not believe me when I say I just did it on my own with healthy diet and exercise...kinda contemplating giving a sarcastic "magic fairy dust" reply next time lol
I also have always found it very interesting that people are so nosy when it comes to someones weight loss but would not dare to comment if someone was gaining weight. I dont want my body to be a topic of discussion, good or bad.

stacygee 02-11-2011 06:44 PM

I like your answer! To Keep getting less fat. I think that is a great answer!