Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Default Short Term Ankle Injury, Exercise in the Meantime?

I have a history of a weak right ankle. I used to roll it very occasionally when I was younger, but in the ninth grade I got put on crutches because I fell off a stool two feet off the ground and landed ON my ankle. Ever since then it's been my only "real" physical limitation.

I'll go months, occasionally a year, without having an issue with it. But then, quite suddenly, it will give out if I'm walking and I'll roll it again. It's instantaneously painful, but I can usually breath it off and go about my day without any more problems.

Well, I rolled it again last night walking on mulch as I was about to get into my truck and I rolled it pretty bad. It's day two and I'm still having pain (though it has subsided since the first day) when walking. I'm wearing my ankle brace to get around as I usually do when I roll it.

My question, does anyone have any suggestion for exercising with an injured ankle? I've just gotten back into the groove of exercising again and now this has occurred and I don't really want to do nothing in the mean time.

I don't currently have access to a gym (though that will change in march, at which point I shouldn't still be injured), so that's not an option. Anything at home? I've relied pretty much on running/walking and work out videos to do my workouts with an occasional rollerblading excursion and some other variety, but most of it involved using my feet and lower body muscles, so I need some ideas!
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You can get a pretty good heartrate with punching/boxing. Stand on one leg and punch, punch, punch. And if you have access to weights or substitute weights (heavy cans, milk jugs, etc) you can work your upper body while waiting for the ankle to heal.

Hope you have a quick recovery!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I second the weights and the punching. Also crunches (not sit ups because you might use your legs to some extend) and swimming.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #4  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I, too have had ankle injuries. I mainly rested to let them heal. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest seeking some help from a podiatrist or other doctor who may be able to help you out.

I agree with the other "chicks" - about upper body. Also, maybe water exercises are something you can do as long as you're careful with not kicking but aqua therapy can be very helpful.

Feel better!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #5  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

I can tell you that I've had 3 ankle reconstructions on my right side. I had major ligament damage to where they had to remove healthy tissue from my knee to put in to my ankle. My talus bone is titanium. I have bone anchors holding all of my ligaments in place. I have 7 screws in my foot. And I had a complete rupture of my achilles tendon. My injuries started out like yours, just constantly rolling my ankle. I did have more serious injuries from sports to go along with the constant rolling.

I was out of commission and on crutches for 6 months. I didn't do any traditional cardio during that time, but I did crutch my way around the gym doing upper body strength training after each surgery. My husband bought me a speed bag like boxers train with, and I would pound on that for about 20 minutes a day. Not only did it give me a killer workout it also greatly improved my hand/eye coordination.
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Easy tip for strengthening ankles, and working on balance. Stand one one foot while you brush your lower teeth at night. Stand on the other one while you brush your upper teeth. Stand near the wall or sink so you can use your other hand to steady yourself if you need it. Work up the time.

I have achilles tendinitis, and used to always be afraid of falling (even when the sidewalks were dry). I started with only 20 seconds or so of balancing, and now I am up to a little more than a minute at a time without hand-touching-sink help. I can already tell the difference that little bit has done for my overall balance, body confidence, and ankle strength. It works all the little muscles and stabilizers around your ankles.

Eventually I want to be able to stand on one foot without wobbling for ten minutes. It'll take me a while to work up to it, but that's my goal.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I get foot problems ocasionally. The next time I am going to try Chair Aerobics. I had never heard about this exercise before reading about it on 3FC's

Goggle it and you will find all the information and instructions you need.

Larry,
---------
The word aerobics came about when the gym instructors got together and said, "If we're going to charge $20 an hour, we can't call it jumping up and down." ~Rita Rudner
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote