Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

I usually eat a Kashi bar on the way to the gym to put a little something in my stomach. And then I drink a protein shake right after working out.

It's a simple plan, but it works for me.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 170/156/135ish

Height: 5'5"

NY Times article (too lazy to look for the original publication): Diet: Bigger Breakfast, Bigger Daily Calorie Count
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #33  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
NY Times article (too lazy to look for the original publication): Diet: Bigger Breakfast, Bigger Daily Calorie Count
Great article!

I certainly believe that if something works for an individual, they should keep doing it. Whether that's eating a large breakfast or none at all. So I am NOT trying to convince any of you breakfast-eaters to give it up. But I do get so tired of defending myself for not eating breakfast. People constantly parrot "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and "you'll just overeat later" and "people who eat breakfast keep healthier weights." That may be true for some, but not for all.

When I was first starting, I was zealous and wanted to diet the "right way." I started eating 6 mini meals a day, and breakfast was my largest meal. But I hated it. I feel sluggish when I eat in the morning, and then I'm just annoyed that I don't have the calories left for bigger meals later in the day. I like to eat a big dinner and then snack at night, and when I was forcing myself to eat breakfast, I STILL wanted a big dinner and to snack at night, but I didn't have the calories left. So I'd either just be hungry and grumpy or go over my calories.

Once I gave up all that nonsense and started eating MY way, I lost weight much easier (and have maintained) and I was much happier. I eat two meals, lunch and a big dinner, and then plan snacks for the evening.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #34  
always ready

my mom taught me its best to eat before gym becuase you CAN faint form excersie aleast a lil something but its better that way
whoIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 180/168/125

Height: 5'1

I usually work out 6 pm and on, but I try not to eat anything at least an hour before workout. I hate the feeling that food is hopping around in my stomach, and it makes me nauseous. I'd rather workout without anything in my stomach and then eat something afterwards to make up for the energy I put out. Then again, everyone is different. Some people might find it better to workout out with an empty stomach, some like to eat before. Whatever works for you and makes you feel right while you workout, based on what you said though, I think it's better you eat something small. Like you said, yogurt, to kill the cravings and energize you for gym

Last edited by xXLosingItXx; 02-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.
xXLosingItXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm another early morning exerciser. But even when I exercise in the evenings, I have to wait at least 3 to 4 hours after eating before I can workout properly. Otherwise, I feel this heaviness in my stomach, no matter how light the meal.

Question: Have you tried drinking more water before your workout? Every now and then I feel a little weak during my workout, then realize, I didn't drink my usual glass of water when I woke up. I was dehydrated. Especially after not drinking anything for 6-8 hours (sleeping).

Sometimes water might be enough to get you through.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #37  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Yes I do eat before I workout, I have to and it's really an inconvenience that I have to. I feel weak and nauseous if I don't. It's a bummer because if I have a race or something I have to get up hours beforehand to eat and let the food settle so there's not many early morning workouts going on with me.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote