Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #31  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by darway View Post
I've been edging away from making soups, to baking sliced vegetables.

Typically I line a pan with a small amount of sunflower oil, about half a teaspoon at most... enough to wipe it into a thin film with a finger. Put the veggies in, drizzle lightly with egg white (maybe 5 spoonfuls) and then spices. It's a good way to use up sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, and squash when you have an excess of them.
I recently got my dad started on doing this and now this is what he cooks almost every night. He's gotten all creative with it--gold and red beets sliced up together, multiple types of potatoes, parsnips, squash, you name it and he roasts it.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #32  
I know I can,I know I can

S/C/G: 293/161/145

Height: 5.4

Default This is my supper menu for the next 14 days..

I allow myself 20 grams of carbs a day.

Every breakfast I have ISO Femme it's only 3 grams of carbs.

Every lunch I have a salad either with or without chicken. 2 grams carbs (dressing)

and for supper yummm....

this is my menu for the next two weeks just for supper..

MUSHROOM & SPINACH OMELET
2 tablespoons butter, divided
6-8 fresh mushrooms, sliced, 5 ounces
Salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch garlic powder
4 eggs, beaten
1 ounce Swiss cheese, shredded
1 handful fresh baby spinach, about 1/2 ounce
Chives, chopped, optional
In a very large skillet, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and keep warm. Heat the remaining tablespoon butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Beat the eggs with a little salt and pepper and pour into the hot butter; swirl the pan to coat the entire bottom of the pan with egg. As soon as the egg is nearly set, place the cheese over half of the omelet. Top the cheese with the spinach leaves and hot mushrooms. Let cook a minute or so to start wilting the spinach. Carefully fold the empty side of the omelet over the filling and slide onto a serving plate and sprinkle with chives, if desired. Alternately, you could make two omelets using half of the mushroom filling, spinach and cheese in each.
Makes 2 servings
Do not freeze
Per Serving: 321 Calories; 26g Fat; 19g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This makes a nice, fancy-looking omelet for two. Sarah said she uses Monterey Jack cheese in hers, but I changed that to Swiss cheese because I had some on hand. Believe it or not, 1/2 ounce of fresh spinach is a pretty big handful. I weighed out a full ounce and couldn't fit it all in.
SATURDAY
PHILLY CHEESESTEAK
1 steak
1/4 cup onion, sliced or chopped, 1 1/2 ounces
1/2 green pepper, sliced or chopped, about 3 ounces
1/4 of a 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
Butter or oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 ounce Monterey jack cheese, sliced
Season and grill the steak as desired. Leave whole or slice into bite-sized pieces. Sauté the onion, pepper, and mushrooms in butter or oil until they caramelize. Season to taste. Top the steak with the vegetables, then the cheese. Broil to melt the cheese.
Makes 1 serving
Do not freeze
Per Serving; 9g Carbohydrate;; 6g Net Carbs

SUNDAY
LAREDO BARBECUED POT ROAST
3 pound boneless chuck roast
1 small onion, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
1 clove garlic, chopped
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup granular Splenda
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
Brown the roast in hot oil in a large skillet; place in a slow cooker. Sauté the onion and garlic in the pan drippings; add to the slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients; pour over the roast. Cook on LOW 6 hours.
Makes about 8 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving:; 3.5g Carbohydrate;; 3.5g Net Carbs
MONDAY
LEFTOVERS

TUESDAY
POT ROAST
Chuck roast
Toasted or regular onion powder
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper
Any other desired seasonings
Carrots, in large chunks, optional
Other low carb vegetables that are suitable for roasting (onions, celery, turnips, rutabaga, etc.), cut into chunks
Place the roast in a roasting pan or 9x13" baking pan. Sprinkle liberally with your desired seasonings on both sides. Arrange the carrots and other vegetables, if using, around the meat and sprinkle them with seasonings. Cover the pan with heavy foil and roast at 325º for about 4-5 hours until tender.
The number of servings will vary with size of roast
Can be frozen
* You could use a package of dry onion soup mix for this, but keep in mind that the soup mix is pretty high in carbs. Figure about 3 net carbs per serving for the meat only, plus whatever veggies you add. Another option would be to use some low carb Onion Soup Mix.
With Carrots:
Per Serving: 273 Calories; 13g Fat; 32g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Without Carrots:
Per Serving: 258 Calories; 13g Fat; 31g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
(Add additional carbs for other vegetables)

I was hoping to make some nice gravy with the pan drippings, but I ended up with almost none. Next time I may add a little water or beef broth to the pan while roasting.
WEDNESDAY
SPICY PEPPER BEEF
Marinade:
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds top sirloin steak, sliced thinly across the grain
3 tablespoons oil, divided
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 green bell peppers, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 medium onion, sliced thin, 4 ounces
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
Put the sliced beef in a zipper bag and add the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir 5 seconds. Add the beef and marinade. Stir-fry just until the meat is no longer pink, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the beef and keep warm. Add the peppers and onions to the pan with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook until tender-crisp, 1-2 minutes. Return the beef to the pan; stir in the Splenda, salt, pepper and sesame oil. If you would like to thicken the sauce, push the meat and peppers to one side of the pan. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat. Quickly stir it in and toss everything together. The sauce should thicken by serving time without further cooking.
Makes about 6 servings
Do not freeze
Per Serving: 300 Calories; 16g Fat; 32g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This recipe is from Low Carb Luxury. I added some onion simply because I thought it could use some. I also used 2 pounds of steak instead of the 1 1/2 pounds called for because that's what was in the package that I bought. To save money, I only used one red bell pepper instead of two. I like this dish very much. The black pepper gives the sauce a unique flavor and the red pepper flakes give it a little kick of heat. Try not to cook the steak too long or it may get tough
THURSDAY
SPRINGS CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts
8 pieces bacon, coarsely chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Season the chicken with the seasonings of your choice (I use Spicy Seasoning Salt); grill until just done. Keep the chicken warm. Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels. In the same skillet, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in butter, seasoning with salt to taste. Cook until the juices have evaporated. Place the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top each piece of chicken with 1/4 of the mushrooms and bacon, then with the shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes 4 servings
I think this could be frozen
Per Serving: 356 Calories; 20g Fat; 40g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I found it a bit too tricky to get all the ingredients prepared and assembled while still hot. Instead of trying to keep everything warm, I just assembled and baked them at 350º for 10 minutes or so, until hot and the cheese had melted
FRIDAY
CHICKEN PARMESAN II
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 2 ounces
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pinch garlic powder
3 boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons spaghetti sauce
3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Mix the first 7 ingredients in a shallow dish or pie pan. Dip the chicken in the melted butter, then coat with the parmesan mixture. Put in a greased baking pan. Bake 350º for 20 minutes or so until chicken is done, depending on the size of the breasts. Top each breast with 1 tablespoon of the spaghetti sauce and 1 ounce of the mozzarella. Return to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes 3 servings
Can be frozen
Per Serving: 456 Calories; 30g Fat; 42g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

SATURDAY
SEOUL CHICKEN
6-8 chicken thighs, skin on
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
5 tablespoons water
Xanthan gum, optional
Place the chicken pieces in a gallon size ziploc bag. Mix the remaining ingredients, except the xanthan gum, in a small bowl. Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken. Close the bag and knead gently to coat all of the chicken pieces. Place in a shallow pan, just in case the bag leaks. Put in the refrigerator and marinate at least 1 hour, turning the bag over occasionally.
Dump the entire contents of the bag into a 9x13" glass baking pan. Arrange the thighs skin side up. Bake at 425º for 35-40 minutes until the meat is done. Remove the chicken from the baking pan to a serving platter and keep warm.
Skim most of the fat off the juices remaining in the pan and pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and lightly sprinkle the xanthan over the liquid while whisking briskly. Be careful not to let it get too thick. Stop before you think it's thick enough or you'll get glue. Serve the sauce over chicken. With granular Splenda:
Per 1/6 Recipe: 300 Calories; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

SUNDAY
CHICKEN PIZZA
1 boneless chicken breast, about 5 1/2 ounces
Dash Italian seasoning
Dash garlic powder
Dash salt
Toppings:
1 tablespoon pizza sauce
1/2 ounce pepperoni, 8 thin slices
1/2 large fresh mushroom, sliced thin, 1/2 ounce
1 ounce Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons green pepper, minced, 1/2 ounce
1 tablespoon red onion, minced, 1/4 ounce
Pound the chicken as thin as possible without tearing it. Season both sides of the chicken with the seasonings and place it on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce on the top of the chicken. Arrange the remaining topping ingredients in this order: pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, cheese, peppers and then the onions. Lightly sprinkle with a little more Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bake at 400º 10 minutes. Do not overcook.
Makes 1 serving
Per Serving: 438 Calories; 23g Fat; 51g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

MONDAY
CHILE CHICKEN MONTEREY
4 boneless chicken breasts
Seasonings of your choice
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
4 ounce can mushrooms or 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
4 ounces pepper-jack cheese, shredded
Flatten and season the chicken breasts; grill and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, sauté the onions and mushrooms in butter until the onions are tender. Stir in the chiles. Place the chicken pieces on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking pan. Top with the mushroom mixture, then with the cheese. Bake at 350º about 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Makes 4 servings
Do not freeze
Per Serving: 224 Calories; 8g Fat; 32g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

TUESDAY
SPICY ASIAN CABBAGE
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, slivered, 4 ounces
12 ounces coleslaw mix with carrots, about 6 cups
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
Dash pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a wok or very large skillet. Sauté the onion for a few minutes until it starts to soften. Add the cabbage and stir-fry until it wilts but still has a little crunch to it. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to mix well.
Makes about 4 servings
Freezing not recommended
Per Serving: 96 Calories; 7g Fat; 2g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 5.5g Net Carbs
TUESDAY
EGG FOO YUNG
2-3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, about
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 serving Spicy Asian Cabbage *
Warm the cabbage mixture, or your choice of vegetables and meats in the microwave and set aside. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Whisk the eggs, soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Go easy on the salt because the soy sauce is salty. When the butter in the skillet is hot, pour in half of the egg mixture and swirl to spread it over the entire bottom of the pan. Top with the vegetable/meat mixture, covering the entire surface of the eggs. Pour the remaining egg mixture all over the top of the vegetables, coating them as well as possible. Cook until the egg is set on the bottom and slightly browned. Carefully flip the whole pancake over and cook on the other side until lightly browned. Slide the egg pancake out onto a serving plate.
Makes 1 serving
Do not freeze
* Connie sautéed some onion, broccoli slaw, cabbage, mushrooms and leftover diced meat. I think that just about any kind of cooked veggies and meats would work great in this. I think that leftover peppers and onions from fajitas would be great as would leftover taco meat, cheese and salsa.
Per Serving: 232 Calories; 17g Fat; 14g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is based on a recipe I saw on Low Carb Friends. It was posted by Connie (RVlady). My version posted here is the method she used and not so much her recipe as she posted it. I had some leftover Spicy Asian Cabbage which I thought would make a nice filling for the egg foo yung and it did. If you'd like to see how Connie made hers, click here. Since this is more about the cooking method than an actual recipe, the ingredient amounts are approximate and so are the counts. Mine didn't turn out very pretty but take a look at Kevin's picture in that recipe thread. I think I had my stove turned a little too high and the eggs got too dark. Flipping the egg pancake is tricky because of its size. I think that the trick is to flip it very quickly.
WEDNESDAY
QUESADILLA QUICHE
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and diced, about 4 ounces
5 green onions, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
Put the cheese, chiles, tomatoes and green onions in a greased 9 1/2-10" pie plate. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and salt. Pour into the pie plate and mix everything just to combine. Bake at 350º 35 minutes or until the center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen
Per 1/6 Recipe: 306 Calories; 25g Fat; 17g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 Recipe: 230 Calories; 19g Fat; 13g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; .5g Dietary Fiber; 2.5g Net Carbs

THURSDAY

MOCKAFONI & CHEESE
16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower
4 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons heavy cream or low carb milk
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced chives, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook the cauliflower until tender; drain well. In a 1 1/2 quart casserole; soften the cream cheese in the microwave about 30-40 seconds on HIGH. Whisk in the cream until smooth, then stir in 4 ounces cheddar cheese. Microwave on MEDIUM about 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Stir well until creamy and smooth, microwaving a little longer if necessary. Stir in the green onions, chives, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower and gently fold into the cheese sauce to coat well. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Top with the remaining 2 ounces cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.
Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen
Per 1/4 Recipe: 326 Calories; 27g Fat; 15g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

I included all counts if anyone is interested.....

I just started this "way of eating" Nov.1st 2010.. I hit the 40lbs lose Feb. 4 2011
Oh_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #33  
Reluctant Adult

Oh Canada - what wonderful recipes! Thanks for sharing them. I'll be using several for sure!

My typical day:

Breakfast:

2 fresh eggs (I have chickens) scrambled in 1/2 tsp butter
1 sourdough English muffin or homemade whole wheat bread with 1 tsp butter
2 clementines
large cup of coffee with 1/2 cup of 1% milk, heated

Mid-morning snack:

1 apple, chopped
small handful dried blueberries
6 oz. homemade yogurt
cinnamon

Lunch:

1 cup homemade vegetable soup

Mid-afternoon snack:

29 peanuts
cup of black or green tea

Dinner:

6 oz. tuna packed in water, drained
10 grape tomatoes
8 kalamata olives
1/2 cup beans, rinsed
chopped greens, parsley, onions, red pepper, celery
dressing made with 1 TB olive oil, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 TB lemon juice
6 oz. white wine

Dessert (if any):

15 semi-sweet chocolate chips

I keep my calories at no more than 1,650 per day.
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #34  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

This is a good idea! I like routine, but sometimes there's a fine line between routine and rut, so it's good to get some new ideas for meals. I can cook but I'm not very creative - now I can go search for recipes for some of the meals y'all make.

I'm a calorie counter and aim for 1200-1400 calories per day. My breakfasts and lunches are pretty set; I rotate among 2-4 set menus for those, which works really well for my planning, budget, and calories. Dinner is where I do different stuff.

Breakfast: (300-350 cals)
Egg muffin with 100 cal English muffin, turkey bacon, 1 egg + 1 egg white, and thin slice of cheddar.
OR
Greek yogurt with mixed berries and uncooked oats or Fiber One cereal
OR
Whole wheat tortilla with 2 Tbs. PB, half a banana, apple slices
OR
Whatever leftover veggies I have thrown into an omelet.

Morning snack: More for munchies than hunger
Celery and carrot sticks

Lunch: (300-350 cals)
Turkey sandwich on light wheat, with hummus and spinach leaves; fruit; occasionally baked chips
OR
Greek yogurt with berries and Fiber One cereal or uncooked oats

Snack:
Fruit and 1/2 ounce nuts
OR
Chopped veggies with LC wedge
OR
Luna mini bar (if I'm traveling)
OR
Greek yogurt

Dinner: This changes, but usually looks like this (400-600 cals)
Lean protein (chicken breast, salmon, very occasionally extra lean beef)
Sometimes beans (I love black beans)
Veggies (tons of these, sauteed or roasted or steamed)
Oil (1/2 - 1 Tbs. olive oil)
Occasionally I'll have a Flatout wrap as well

Dessert:
Fruit
OR
Jello SF pudding, frozen then put into a plain ice cream cone (80 cals and YUMMY!)
OR
Square of dark chocolate
OR
Single pack Reese's cup (80 cals)
OR
25 cal hot chocolate
OR
cup of hot tea
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I loved reading this thread. It gives me ideas for when I am working on maintenance!

I am doing Medifast right now. Here's a typical day:

7am: coffee with sugar free creamer
8AM: pancakes with 1T peanut butter and 1T sugar free strawberry jelly, with apple cinnamon tea
10AM: hot cocoa made with coffee (a mocha!)
12 noon: chicken noodle soup
3PM: peanut butter crunch bar
6PM: 5 oz flat iron steak marinated in rosemary & garlic, 1 c steamed broccoli, 1 c mixed baby field greens with light Balsamic vinaigrette
7PM: decaf Candy Cane green tea
8:30PM: brownie

Pretty satisfying.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #36  

I tend to go more on a week to week basis. Some days I don't think I'm eating enough, but other days I'm sure I go over. I know there are diets like that and I figure that is the best way for me not to have this golden number I start to obsess over. (i.e. 1500 cals)

I'm kind of fighting this on two fronts. 1: I have issues with over eating / binging. 2. I alternate that with over restricting which then leads to a binge.

So I need to not over-eat but if I get too obsessed with counting / measuring, I slip into over restricting. Sucks.

Typical though:

I used to have a coffee (with fat free coffee mate) and a water, then gym, first thing in the AM. But starting tomorrow, I will also have a yogurt, so I'm not going on an empty stomach.

After gym
Breakfast: egg beaters omelette with random veggies (spinach, onions) maybe black beans or maybe not. Another coffee with FF creamer and some fruit if we have some (which we usually do) blue berries or strawberries. Or a yogurt, but I'll be eating that pre-work out now.

Lunch: Wrap with tofu, feta cheese, fresh spinach, raddichio, onions and some type of low cal dressing. Usually a low fat granola bar. Maybe not. Depends. Sometimes I'll hae a sandwich, with turkey and some cooked veggie on the side. I try to switch things up.

After noon snack: I usually get hungry around 3pm. So I'll have a yogurt IF I haven't had one yet that day. If I have, the maybe a granola bar IF I haven't had one yet that day. Or some fruit. I usually find something small. And a cup of coffee with FF creamer. Occasionally I'll just have the coffee.

Dinner: Some type of meal concoction with a protien (tofu or beans or chicken sometimes) random veggies, and usually a tsp (small amount) of olive oil in there. If I make a standard dinner b/c hubby is home, I just dont serve the startch (like rice) for my self.

Night snack: Is hit or miss depending on when I have dinner and how late I stay up, but I'll either have a granola bar or once and a while a small amount of wine!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote