Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default Alcohol is the root to all evil

i know this as it always knocks me off the wagon and gets me and my partner in trouble with money etc ...........ill explain.

So we hardly drink but when we do , we miss judge how much we can drink now to what we used to be able to............which results in overspending.............a horrendus hangover the next day...............and then the raging appetite to follow for at least the nxt two days which results in lazy behavior /getting takeaway..= weight gain and extra spends.

Weve just got over our weekend blowout and it had been months since wed done it.

Amazing how silly little downfalls can knock you off and get you back to square one.
Really need a good three stone off for my holiday in june .............so alcohol is off bounds
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Good call alcohol always leads to more alcohol and usually binging to some extend. I try to avoid it as much as I can but my sister always brings people around who drink and smoke pot so it's hard to avoid temptation sometimes.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I definitely feel your pain. I went out this weekend for a friend's bday and completely overdrank and overspent. It is actually a pretty common occurrence for me so don't feel too bad, it had been a long time since you guys did it!
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I am a substance abuse counselor and one of our fastest growing clientele that we are seeing is those people that have had gastric bypass/lapband surgery that end up addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol. Seems like food and booze often fall in the same addictive category.

I am not saying this is true for you, but I do see a lot of posts on here from people that make me very concerned about their drinking.

Alcohol is TERRIBLE for a person in general. And it is even more terrible for someone who is trying to lose weight. Alcohol is pure rings of sugar.

If you can give it up completely, that's the way to go!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/168/125

Height: 5'1

I wish I could relate or help in some way, but I'm underage, can't and don't want to drink. I've tried it before, and I hate it.

Although, I think that you shouldn't put yourself down, since like you said, you haven't done it in a while. Simply resist and try not to do it next time Good luck!
xXLosingItXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

I got trashed on Thursday and Saturday its was my friends 30th birthday and I had just got paid..... not good i blew all my money im monthly paid so I have to get through the month totally skint, did some outragous things and now feeling pretty crap about things. I didnt eat alot over this time but booze is so high in cals its scary.
I didnt drink all month and felt good so I think i am gonna knock it on the head and only drink on special occasions
you are so right Alcohol is the root to all evil
Good luck
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #7  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I understand exactly what you mean.

There's nothing I enjoy more than a glass of wine or a couple of beers with friends. That leads to appetizers. That leads to another drink to go with the appetizers...and maybe dinner since I need to put something else on my stomach since I'm on my second drink.

Not cool.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #8  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

You should really avoid it like the plague. That's exactly why drinking and weight loss do not mix. You don't have to give it up forever, but while losing you should.

Also, maybe try not binge drinking but instead just having one drink every so often as a treat. Every now and again I'll work a really nice, expensive beer into my plan at the end of the night. It's nice. I get really silly and tipsy off one but since it is only one, I don't really get the munchies. And it doesn't effect the scale... it actually seems to get rid of any water weight my body refuses to let go of. That's just an option.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I used to drink excessively. I drank almost every night, and I'm not talking a single glass of wine or a glass of beer. I drank a lot. I quit drinking, smoking and eating crap all within a few days of each other. Alcohol is full of empty calories, gives me a "I don't give a crap" attitude and made my anxiety 100% worse, (especially in the middle of the night and the next day). Since I have quit I don't wake up in the middle of the night with impending doom and heart palpitations, I don't feel like I'm going to die at any second and I have lost a butt load of weight. I'm happier, healthier and have lots of extra money to spend on cute clothes, shoes and jewelry. My skin is clearer and my brain is clearer. Knowing what I know now, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will never drink alcohol again. Never. It did nothing for me except make my life miserable. That's my story...

Some people can stop at 1. Not me. I can stop at one drink like I can stop at 1 cookie.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I go out with friends on Fridays, but I limit it to 2 beers. I have 2, then switch to water. And for food I eat at home, or I have half a small pizza at the bar (after accounting for it in my points allowance for the day.)

If you can't limit the number of drinks, the I agree about skipping it altogether.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I love a really good beer and won't give it up while I'm losing weight. I average maybe 2-3 beers per week and I plan for and enjoy them.

I don't binge drink/drink to excess; I'm a quality over quantity type. If you can't moderate your alcohol intake perhaps it is best to skip it altogether.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #12  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm somewhat in your boat. As a recent college grad working around other young people who like to go out on weekends, I'm having to re-evaluate my weightloss plan and my attitude towards drinking in general.

Best of luck!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/274/199

Height: 5'5"

I KNOW!! it sucks. I am the same way - don't go out too often but when I do my friends and I get trashed. Binge drinking is really part of our culture up here, every social event revolves around it and going out to the bars is really the only place to go be social. Ughhh....

Did the same the weekend before last, woke up and my very first thought "WHY do I still do this to myself?" (on a side note, my very second thought was "*whew* at least I'm alone." baahahaha)

I hardly ate anything all weekend but I calculated an estimate of the calories I drank....holy crap. I have spent all week repairing the damage that was done.

-On the bright side - you don't make a habit of it, so it wont hurt to cut it out even more.

-A way to get out of it next time - offer to be the DD. Still get to be social and have fun, drink FREE all night (either out of your friends or the establishment) and you will feel great the next day!

Last edited by BigBlueStar; 01-31-2011 at 07:40 PM.
BigBlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It sure is, lucky8. I am trying to limit myself to one or two "big nights out" per month - also since I've lost weight my alcohol tolerance has turned to garbage and drinking more than 2 drinks typically results in either being sick or falling asleep.

I think the hangover hunger is much worse than the drunk-munchies, personally.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I hear ya... I really really need to limit the number of nights a week I drink... I always end up drinking at least one more than I plan to, and sometimes I snack when I get home.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote