Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #16  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Fressca!! Thanks SOO much for that list!! I have been searching and searching... and that list is far more complete than anything I've found before... odd how that always seems to happen...

Thanks guys. I haven't been shown how to use the weight machines yet and had my info put into their computer systems yet... so for now I was just using the treadmill and the bike... 30 minutes fast walking and some (total of 5 minutes... ) running on it... then I decided that I didn't want to keep standing, so I went and spent 30 minutes at a moderate pace on the bike... so far so good. Tomorrow is Zumba... wish me luck! I hear it's hard... but fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Love, love, love that dress! Makes me want to go back to my own just to wear it.

Sounds like a good plan, the only suggestion I have is that you might want to focus on more veggies/protein during your snack and drop the grain all together if you're hungry in between meals (grains tend to make me hungrier). Good luck!!!
Yeah... still working out the kinks. Grains make me feel full though... one slice a bread makes me far more full than several protein sources all mixed up into one... No clue why. But yeah... I definitely need to find more protein sources other than just nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
even being a vegetarian, i think you need more protein...JMHO...... there ARE many great sources (such as greek yogurt) but even for a snack some whey protein works great
Yeah... like I said above... still working out the kinks... and definitely finding that I need more protein. I had a mozerella stick as a post-workout snack... but even that I feel wasn't quite enough... I need to see if I can find some coupons for whey protein...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
yogurt (20g per serving)

cottage cheese (14g per serving)
I don't know how they define "serving" but 100 grams of LF cottage cheese has 12 grams of protein and 100 grams of FF yogurt has 4 grams of protein. Greek yogurt is closer to cottage cheese numbers.

The great thing about cottage cheese is that you can make it savory (hot sauce, seasoned salt) or sweet (fruit, sweetener, cinnamon, cocoa).
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #18  

So... with the amount of exercise I'm doing... what should I aim for with protein grams? Because I think that adequate protein will be my main concern...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Weight lifters aim for 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, which for you would be a little under 100 grams. However, I think that's high: it's for serious power lifters.

Really, it's less important that your nutrition be ideal than that it be consistent. If 100 grams of protein is easy and delicious for you, then go for it, but if 50 or even less is more sustainable on a vegetarian diet, I wouldn't worry about it. We are true omnivores, and our bodies are pretty flexible (whole nations of vegetarians eat high carb/low protein. Inuits eat mostly fat. Both seem to thrive), In any case, you can always tweak later.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #20  

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #21  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I don't know how they define "serving" but 100 grams of LF cottage cheese has 12 grams of protein and 100 grams of FF yogurt has 4 grams of protein. Greek yogurt is closer to cottage cheese numbers.

The great thing about cottage cheese is that you can make it savory (hot sauce, seasoned salt) or sweet (fruit, sweetener, cinnamon, cocoa).
I should have said, do your own due diligence! I look at this as a list for ideas more than for numbers written in stone. For instance, I've never found yogurt as high in protein as on Blue's list that still has an acceptable calorie count for me.

Serbrider, you're welcome!

Last edited by Fressca; 02-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote