Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/180/140

Height: 5ft3

Default what is good scale?

I'd really like to know which scales you guys use. Mine gives me a different number each time I step on it. If I had room in my bath, I'd buy a drs. scale. I'm so annoyed. Any recommendations as to brand? I don't mind spending some money if it'll do what it says.
helen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Have you put fresh batteries in and made sure your scale is on a flat surface? If your batteries are on their way out or your scale isn't resting flat on the floor it could cause your readings to jump around.

I've used two different Conair scales over the past few years (not at the same time), one of which is branded as a Weight Watchers scale. Both provided a reasonable degree of precision, if not complete accuracy.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I had the same problems with an old scale and finally I just chucked it and bought a new one. If spending the money isn't a problem, give this one away to Goodwill or a charity and buy yourself a new one. There's no reason to let yourself get upset over a bad scale.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I had the same problems with an old scale and finally I just chucked it and bought a new one. If spending the money isn't a problem, give this one away to Goodwill or a charity and buy yourself a new one. There's no reason to let yourself get upset over a bad scale.
That's my plan but I wanted recommendations b/c I don't want the same issues again.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

All scales fluctuate some, even from each step on the scale. You could be balancing differently, you could be between numbers and it goes back and forth between .2 and .4 because you are really .3 and so on.

With that said, I have an tanita Iron man scale (body fat monitor too). And it works 'alright', but not the best and it's not cheap! Since I've dropped weight and started exercising every day, it's dropping the overall pounds, yes, but now my body fat percentage is HIGHER. That can't be right!

What I'm coveting is the Withings Wifi scale. It sends your weight and body fat instantly to the computer software program once you've weighed yourself. That way you can keep track of your pounds and body fat over time.

For now I sit on my bathroom floor and write down the measurements and put them in an excel spreadsheet manually. Four days of that and I'm already tired of it!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

I use a Salter body analysis digital scale. Great brand, accurte readings, measures weight in stones, lbs and kg, also provides body fat, water weight and muscle mass analysis, taking into consideration you age, sex and height. It's really great.
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #7  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Mine is a Sunbeam, digital, I bought at Wal-Mart for about $20. It's been a good scale. Pretty accurate, I check it against the fancy, expensive scale at the vet hospital where I work and the WW scale at meetings. No complaints.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I have the "Biggest Loser" scale. It's digital, measures Body Fat, Muscle % and some other things. I mostly use it for weight. It's accurate and gives the same weight if I step on it a few times in row.

For some reason, I will weigh myself holding 20 pounds of hand weights once a week, just to give it a little jog. I have no idea if that makes a difference, but I do it anyway.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #9  

thanks I got a health o meter digital w/ bmi and body fat. I'm going to see how I like it for a bit. thanks for all the advice. It's just so hard to go on amazon and read reviews b/c no matter how many 5 stars, there is always the few that say "STAY AWAY! THIS SUCKS" so I can never decide. lol
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #10  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I ordered a Taylor 7519 from Walmart online for about $25 including shipping. It is GREAT. It is extremely consistant, sturdy (glass surface but really thick)looks nice, weighs up to 440 lbs., blue backlit digital. These days when I fluctuate day to day, I know it is me.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #11  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

I have a Taylor Body Fat Scale, it measures BMI, Fat % and H20 %. It weighs 0.2 lb increments. I think it's very consistent and acccurate. I, like Sea Girl will every once in a while hold something heavier to "mix it up" if you will. I also track my weight in the morning to see if I have a pattern with my weights . . . (an idea I got from Seagirl (thanks) I bought it on sale for $20
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote