Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Coping Skills

What exactly are coping skills? Obviously I don't have any because A) I am asking and B) the first thing I want to do when I am super stressed is have some drinks (alcohol). Can anyone help me to understand what I am missing?
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Coping skills would be alternative, such as when stressed to go for a walk, it could be any activity that do not have a negative effect and are beneficial. It could be exercise, listening to music, meditation and so forth. You might have gon into a pattern where you feel that what you do to relieve the stress is the only option available.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Coping skills are learned behavior and there are a lot of self help books that can introduce some constructive ways to changing the way you 'automatically' think, feel, react to events.

For me, my major coping skill is slowing down enough to change that automatic 'my life sucks' thought to 'my life has challenges today' and change the feeling from 'overwhelming sadness and bitterness' to a reasonable and momentary level of 'disappointment' and react to it with closed eyes, pursed lips and a deep sigh for 15 seconds rather than over-using food/drink to calm myself.

Hope this helps and wasn't too preachy.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnough View Post
What exactly are coping skills? Obviously I don't have any because A) I am asking and B) the first thing I want to do when I am super stressed is have some drinks (alcohol). Can anyone help me to understand what I am missing?
Everyone has coping skills, some people just don't always have coping skills that are as effective in the long run as they are in the short run.

Turning to alcohol when stressed is a coping skill, and a very effective one, but only in the short term. Over the long term, it causes more stress and damage than it relieves (which is why the behavior tends to escalate - the more you rely on the alcohol the more stress you have, and the more alcohol it takes to relieve the stress).

What you may be "missing" is finding coping skills that have fewer long-term negative consequences - coping skills that may initially and in the short term seem less effective, but that are more effective and not harmful in the long term.

You essentially need coping skills without, or at least with fewer adverse side effects.

Eating has always been my coping skill. On the surface it seems to have fewer consequences than alcohol and drugs, but it's still not consequence free. I'm grateful that I didn't turn to drugs and alcohol, but I still need much healthier coping skills.

Coming to 3FC and to my TOPS group is probably my best coping skill. I also read, write fiction, journal, work on crochet and crafting projects, and (not often enough exercise).

I need to use the exercise coping skills more, and the sitting-on-my-butt coping skills less (and I am making progress. Five years ago, exercise was barely in my repetoire of coping skills. I swam occasionally, but by occasionally I mean four or five swims per year).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-28-2011 at 09:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #5  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Thanks, Kaplods, you make perfect sense!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

my coping skill is usually in the form of a little white round pill lol

kidding
kinda

(anti-anxiety meds)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote