Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Need all the tricks of the trade

I have my official weigh-in and inspection tomorrow from the surgeon who is going to decide if I have lost enough weight to perform the surgery that is all planned. I know they are all going to get very angry with me if I need to postpone as they have had to organise 3 departments into this thing, and basically it is the way of the British health system - never let something silly like patients get in the way of meeting arbitrary performance targets.

So I have to maximise my weight loss for tomorrow. It doesn't matter a jot if it's fat, water, whatever lost. For doctors these folks are very uninterested whether your weight loss is real or not, if there is a packet of medicines which says do not give if BMI is over 28 then if you shoot up to 28.1 cos you drank a bottle of water they'll not give it to you!

I'm on pre-op fasting anyway for the 24 hours, but cannot afford any hormone bloat, water weight, constipation that makes my belly stick out a bit, it's got to be the best me I can wheel in there based on what I already weigh today.

I know none of this is about genuine weight loss or sustainable activities, but all I need is a "yes" from them tomorrow and then I'm through the system and actually could go and gain weight before the actual surgery date (but I will try not to, obviously!!)

What are the little tricks to weighing in my lightest?

Last edited by RoseRodent; 01-20-2011 at 02:37 AM.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I always have drank as much water as I possibly can if I need the scale to show a low number. Sounds backwards, but drinking extra water seems to help body not retain any extra. But I'd hesitate to recommend you try that if you're already in the countdown to surgery in case your body doesn't react that way. Something to try maybe after this in case you need in future?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I second the water! Also maybe some strong coffee to get things *ahem* moving downstairs if they haven't recently?
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

For me, a few cups of strong coffee act as a diuretic (and laxative). But that depends on what surgery you're having...maybe caffeine isn't a good idea.

Hot water will cut through bloat. Expect some burping. You can also mix in a little prune juice if you think you're constipated, but that can backfire sometimes.

Some light yoga will relax your muscles and release any water they're retaining if they're tight. It will also help move the bowels along and expel any gas. (YouTube "yoga for beginners" - there's a 3 part series by Yogatic that's light and useful if you aren't a yoga person.)

Avoid doing anything that will leave you with sore muscles, since they'll retain water as they repair. The morning after a super-heavy workout, I always weigh a little (.5 - 1 pound) more.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Yay, he is happy, so that's a weight (LOL) off my mind. Don't actually go in for the full procedure till Jan 31st but was having to do a fast - that was torture now I've got used to regular eating, ridiculous considering how many years I've gone without food for days at a time and not even thought about it! Gotta do another one later in the week which will be super-awful, clear fluids only for 18 hours, total nil by mouth for the next 6-8 hours, then nothing more to eat till after the surgery and when they decide to bring me food. Say for example you are allowed to eat at 3pm but you just missed the 2.30pm tea and coffee trolley you don't get food and drink at 3, you get it at 6 when the dinner comes, and if they've done a lot of bowel work I'll be on nil by mouth for another 24 hours and then on liquid tube feeds.

I expect to lose at least half my bodyweight in exchange for that!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I glad you got the all clear, and hope everything goes well with your surgery!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Glad you got the go ahead on the surgery. The actual fast before and after sounds grueling but soon it'll all be behind you!

Once you're healed will you have more mobility and freedom?
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladadog View Post
Once you're healed will you have more mobility and freedom?
Sadly not a lot, the surgery is to do with a totally different part of the problems from the spinal issues, but I have had some spinal injections this week which they will do again next month and it seems the steroid is going to help a lot, so things are looking up. Still going to spend a lot of time in bed and won't be able to walk, but on my personal scale going out to the shops in my wheelchair once a week is the most outrageously good time anyone ever had!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #9  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm glad to hear you got the all-clear from your doctor!

Vladadog used the right word for all that fasting--grueling!--but I'm sure it'll be wonderful to have done with your surgery and look forward to recovery.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote