Different scales different weights

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I use a digital scale and ONLY my scale. If I have to be weighed at the doctor's office I don't look and I tell the nurse ahead of time not to tell me the number. It just throws me off and I don't like it.
  • I have worked in the scale service industry for 10 years. To track weight loss, you should weigh yourself on one scale. You can't compare the scale at home to the scale in the doctors office- neither scale may be accurate. And that one that is the least weight might not be the right weight, lol. Some doctors offices do not have their scales calibrated on a regular basis, and from my work in the scale service industry, personal home scales are usually 5 lbs or so light.

However, if you want to track weight loss, stick with one scale. It should do an adequate job of showing weight loss or gain, even if it might be a few pounds off on the overall weight. And don't put it on carpet- put it on a hard surface.
  • Disney, good catch on the calibration of scales. I've worked for a veterinarian for 6 years and we've never had our scales calibrated. However, when I worked at a bulk ag fertilizer dealer, the state calibrated our scale annually.

I've weighed at home with all my clothes on, gone to work, no eating/drinking and the scale at work 15 minutes later, is always heavier than my scale at home.

I prefer digital, you can get a decent one at Wal-Mart for $20.

PICK ONE! And that will be your official scale.