Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Sugar (ba ba bah bah bah bah) oh, honey, honey (NSV!)

I'm the first one to admit that I completely fell off the proverbial wagon over the holidays. From pecan pie to Ghirardelli chocolate, I packed on five pounds that I can feel in my new jeans quite readily. I've since gotten back on track and am working to lose that weight, but the biggest thing I've noticed is that the sugar cravings I've kicked have come back with a vengeance. My nighttime cravings? They are about to eat me alive.

So, today I went out for lunch with some coworkers. I looked up the nutrition for where we were going, planned what I was going to have, and ordered exactly that. Then, on the way out the door, there was a pile of fortune cookies. I don't even LIKE fortune cookies, but it was like the sugar in them was reaching out to me to ensnare me in its sweet, sweet embrace.

A week ago, when I was still smoking the Christmas Candy Crack, I might have grabbed one, or two, or three. Today, I steeled myself and walked right past them. Attagirl, right? If I can just stay away from the sugary temptations for another week or so, I'll have kicked the habit, so to speak, and I won't crave so badly.

Anyone else finding their sugar cravings go nuts after they have just a few sugary things?
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Oh yeah. Sugar (chocolate especially) is like crack. Seriously. (or what I would imagine crack to be like lol)

I had this conversation with my mom over the holidays. Some people can have a piece of chocolate and they are ok. I have a piece of chocolate and I just cannot have enough of it. One mini peanut butter cup, and the whole bag is gone.

Once I get it out of my system, I am generally pretty good. Sure I still want to have a piece once in a while but it is not with the white hot intensity that is there when I have given in.

Sad and sucky but true.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #3  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Oh TOTALLY. I was actually just explaining the very real sugar addiction to my grandma (who is lucky if she's pushin 110 her whole life).

For me its not as bad about binging at one moment as it is about making it a constant thing. A bit of sugar here, sugar there.... sugar everywhere!

As carbs are my downfall as well (and from what I've heard they're pretty much sugar anyways), same thing happens with that. If I eat fast food, or non-good foods like I did over the holidays... it takes me days, if not weeks, to overcome the crazy cravings I get after indulging too much. Usually, if I just have a cheater MEAL, like once a week, I'm good... but any more than that and I'm battling the cravings for days afterwards.

Still... knowing all this... feeling the cravings... and being able to pass by some of them successfully (something I would have never done in the past, or been able to do)... makes me really, really proud of myself. Just like you should be!!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I'm having this problem but with salt instead of sugar. I want salty crunchy things so bad after having trail mix and snack mix on NYE.

Good job on not taking the cookies!

Also, I now have that song stuck in my head.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 01-06-2011 at 05:13 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I find that eating more protein helps me get through those times. I hate it though- when people say "oh just one won't hurt" I want to scream YES IT WILL!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

yes. yes it will. And protein usually gets me through those times as well. But on days like today (day 4 back on plan from the holidays) with my head slamming off my shoulders and through my eyeballs. The three caramel kisses I just ate are a welcome relief. Of course as I write this I remembered that I had soy nuts for my PM snack. D'oh
Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #7  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Yes, this is a major issue for me. Last year I had beaten the sugar habit, but when I had just a few sugary items I had major cravings all over again.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Oh yes, once you start it's really hard to stop. Some days I'm cool with having a small candy bar and calling it a day, but those days are few and far between.

I find in terms of craving sweet things, ice cream is less addictive than straight chocolate bars or cookies. Obviously only the single serving kind.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

I find that the NSA Fudgcicles get me through. Sugar free chocolate however, makes it worse.

Weird
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I right there with all of you, lol. I can't eat candy much... well, chocolate to be specific. I'm also of the camp that if I have one small one, the whole bag will be gone soon enough. It's a sad thing to learn that I can't have any at all... but it could be worse!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote