3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Fight it or go with it?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #16

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I follow an exchange plan that is usually relatively low-carb. I allow about 500 calories of "swappable" exchanges (basically each swappable exchange is 80 calories of just about anything).

My carb level can vary quite a bit, as a result. On the high end, though I get hungry enough to be at risk for going off plan, so I still debate whether to fight or go with it.

On the one hand, I know that I would be less hungry and lose faster if I stuck with the lowest carb level.

On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that being too strict would be the kiss of death for my plan. I don't do "deprivation" well, so banning high-carb foods for all time probably wouldn't work.

For me, the swappable exchanges are a good compromise for now.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

If I want to lose weight, or even to maintain my weight loss, I have to make sure that there's no sugar and no grains in my diet. I can eat some fruit, and I get some carbs from dairy, too; those things are fine for me. But sugar and grains are simply intolerable for me from the standpoint of feeling good, being energetic, and being able to lose weight. (Regular use of caffeine goes in this category for me, as well, because of how much it messes with my ability to sleep well, which is completely essential to my healthy functioning.)

That being said, when I'm eating the way which is physically healthy and emotionally sustainable for me, I have a "special meal" on Friday nights which usually includes some grain, and I have whole-wheat toast with my Saturday morning breakfast. These indulgences are important to my mental health.

For the most part, you'd have to put me in the "fight it" camp, although to be quite honest once the sugar and grains are gone from my daily routine, there's not much fight to it. I simply don't want them like I did 3 years ago; I much prefer my daily routine of lots of veggies, some fruit, some dairy, and some meat.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #18

Fight it is not really the best term for what I am doing, but go with it (freedom to eat anything) is definitely not my plan. I started my plan of action by calorie counting. I had no other restrictions, not even a particular limit. I counted all I ate, whether on plan or bingeing. When I stopped losing weight, I reduced the calories. When I tested for diabetes, that strategy had to change. So yes, I was able to lose half my weight with more freedom in food choices, but it's not the same deal anymore. Now I work on minimal carbs, but do so without counting carbs or calories, I go strictly by the glucose meter, ketone test strips and the weight scale. All three are my guides to whether I doing it right. This is a very different approach for me and I am hoping it will help guide me to my goal and to a working maintenance without counting anything.

PS I do know the carbs in foods, so not counting doesn't mean I have no clue what to choose to eat, but I have a close eye on the monitor and test strips, they tell a picture much clearer than counting did.

Last edited by martinimouse : 01-06-2011 at 02:32 PM.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I'm in the middle.

All other things I do ok with in moderation most of the time. Chocolate can be a problem. When it becomes a problem, I knuckle down and get through three days without it. Then when I introduce it again, it's not a problem. But over time, it always becomes a problem.
Ah, I just wrote about that in my blog this morning. The only carby food I have real trouble with is grains. I always THINK I can handle them in small amounts. I had tried and liked the very thin wasa that is out now, 5g carb each. I did fine the first few times, then I wanted more and more. Once that taste gets a hold on me, I feel like I am slipping down a hill made of ice! I can handle sugar better than I can grains. Today I realized that this will never change. It's time to let go completely. it is too tortuous to try for even a small amount, I begin the cravings game each and every time. It truly is easier to do without in this case.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #20
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

This is making me reflect on the methods used in drug addiction counselling. So many people say that the problem with full-on food addiction is you cannot have none of it, you must always have some food, and this is why some of the biggest foodies do best (short-term) in a program of food replacement. You can totally get away from all contact with food if you go onto total food replacement plans like milkshakes, but because it is never even considered to be a long-term option (and I do know some individuals for whom a lifetime on Slimfast would be preferable to their constant 300lb up and down weight yo-yos, despite the obvious downsides of meal replacement as a long-term strategy) there is always a return to the real food, and a return to having to have some of the substance that got you into trouble.

I wonder sometimes if it's a more sensible long-term strategy to make peace with an actual farewell to some of my trigger foods, to accept I really genuinely can't have them, as much as I can walk past the betting shop without a thought and one of my long-time friends can barely look at a coin without wanting to set up an extravagent winner-takes-all coin-toss bet, I may be someone who cannot have certain things.

The problem, I find, is that if you are giving up a substance that has a strong reputation for harm then everyone (well, except fellow addicts, I suppose) will support you in heroin detox, alcohol detox, etc. But if you want to give up chocolate your friends think that is funny as anything, taunt you that you'll never do it, wave choccies at you all the time, it's just a whole other attitude. Plus there isn't a program for it, no support to get you ready for letting go. I just can't come to the acceptance of not doing it ever again, and until you are ready for that moment of kicking something out of your life you may as well not bother.

But then some others do seem to manage to carry on incorporating their demon foods long-term, a strategy so entirely at odds with everything we know about addiction recovery. Very odd. One speculates there may be former alcoholics out there who could actually re-discover social drinking in moderation, who knows?

It's all very complex, anyway!
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #21
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Speaking as a recovered alcoholic, I do not think it is worth risking my life to see whether I can drink "socially" in moderation. The fact is, I don't think I was ever interested in drinking in moderation. And it certainly wasn't about being sociable!

I have some foods that are triggers; among them are certain corn chips and virtually any ice cream. I have been known to have these foods, but only in restricted situations. Without restriction, I will overeat them.

The book THE END OF OVEREATING (David Kessler) discusses at length the studies showing that certain food combinations involving fat, carbs, and salt are literally addictive. Of course, it's not an accident that those combinations are present in most of my trigger foods.

Jay
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #22

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I basically 'went with' my food preferences when I lost weight this last time. As a yo-yo dieter experience has taught me that I can't live a life without having certain foods and abstinance is not good for me. I like my carbs and I like dairy but providing those carbs are good, low GI ones and the dairy is low(er) fat I'm happy. I don't really have any trigger foods (I just like food in general) so I can have limited quantities and be happy. My main restriction has been on fats which is not something I particularly like (I prefer lean cuts of meat) with the exception of nuts which I really have to be careful with.

Kitty

Losing Maintenance Buffer
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #23

S/C/G: 200/161.4/140

Height: 5'5"

I know this is a total lie, but sometimes I tell people that I am diabetic and it stops them from offering me sugar laden foods.

I think it's a harmless lie, because if I do eat those foods, I will become a diabetic, and the word (and thus, the avoidance of sugar) is easy for lay-people to understand. PCOS is not something the general public understands.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I know this is a total lie, but sometimes I tell people that I am diabetic and it stops them from offering me sugar laden foods.

I think it's a harmless lie, because if I do eat those foods, I will become a diabetic, and the word (and thus, the avoidance of sugar) is easy for lay-people to understand. PCOS is not something the general public understands.
That lie doesn't always work, as I've found. I'm pre-diabetic, and a couple times I've had people offer me sugar-laden items that they made "special" from a diabetic recipe. Diabetics themselves are often the culprits... most of them don't actually eat low-carb. The ADA does not forbid sugar, and encourages the consumption of whole-grain foods. http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-desserts.html The ADA and most CDE (certified diebetic educators) suggest a much higher daily carb count than many lower-carb plans have. My CDE expected us to eat 45-60 carbs a meal, plus up to 2 15carb snacks. That is over 100 grams of carb a day at its lowest, which even if it's lower than the American average is still higher than most carb-restricted diets.

Sorry... getting off soapbox now.

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRodent View Post
if you want to give up chocolate your friends think that is funny as anything, taunt you that you'll never do it, wave choccies at you all the time, it's just a whole other attitude.
IME? Only if you make a big deal about it.

There are people I've known for years who don't realize that I don't eat chocolate. And I know they all have foods that they won't eat that I had no idea they either hate or can't limit or don't trust themselves around. (When we plan Thanksgiving menus, it's always a surprise to be reminded who won't touch what--even though we go out for lunch or dinner together all the time.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #26

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

I think there is a big difference between limiting carbs (fruits, veggies and grains) and limiting refined sugar as is found in dessert items.

My go-to lies are usually sensitivity or allergies to a particular ingredient or prediabetic and keeping my blood sugar levels stable.

Long term goal

Every day do something to make a better tomorrow.
Discipline is remembering what you want.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Structure with a specific diet hasn't ever worked for me, and I love a lot of different kinds of food. Instead I eat what I want when I want, but I'm watching my junk food. I love bread and potatoes and carbs in general. It's how I was brought up in my family, so that's what my body uses as energy more than anything. I feel really ill if I don't eat carbs often enough.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #28

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Four months after having a baby and starting the new year, I have been on a healthy smoothie kick. A smoothie for breakfast, a protein smoothie for lunch, and a healthy dinner with some snacks thrown in sometimes. The smoothies keep me full for the most part, even though I feel hunger from time to time. I am usually busy so I don't really think about that. Overall it seems to be working. I will probably get bored with it soon, though.

abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #29

I never liked the idea of not eating certain foods... In a twist of irony however for the longest time I pretty much by accident abstained from eating Dairy or grain when I first lost a lot of weight. Never could find a way to incorporate them into my diet plan.

That said, I think all people react differently to different food, and I think if a certain type of food doesn't make you feel right don't eat it just because a diet tells you to. Or the reverse of something making you feel off.

I myself believe in simply watching the intake and touching up on the five major food groups as often as possible.
Ultreos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
Tai

S/C/G: 272/126/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Even though we can't live without food; we can learn to live without certain foods. I stopped eating fast food when I wanted to lose weight because it was such a problem for me. I really was like an addict; especially to McDonalds. After reading The End of Overeating I understand why so much better.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.