Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Sunshine- did you go to the doctor?? How did it go? Update us!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I feel your pain and have seen a weight gain since my Dr. put me on BP meds (Lisinipril). It reduces the BP all right, but sucks the energy right out of you. I used to walk 5 miles at least 3 times a week, but now I come home from work and just sit there - no energy for any exercise, and mentally I feel sluggish, too. I swear it increases my appetite, too. This drug is contra to a healthy lifestyle, and not the way I iwant to live the rest of my life. I'm making an appt to see the Doc in Jan. to get a different med, but I'm sure she'll be alarmed at the weight gain. What did she expect, it's on of the side effects! Anyone else taking Lisinopril?
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Sorry - I did go to the doctor yesterday but in addition to my regular check up I found out that my cold is, in fact, raging bronchitis so I've been a little puny today. Bleh.

Anyway - the doctor was VERY surprised at my numbers (and kept double checking them to be sure). He said that even though my fasting blood sugar was 1 point above where they like to see it that my A1C was textbook perfect so he said I'm definitely not diabetic at this point. So YAY! me.

Also, I pointed out to him ( a couple of times) that I'd managed to get those numbers down AND drop 20 pounds on my own with just diet and exercise.

He said that I'd accomplished so much in just two months that he felt it was completely appropriate to take a wait and see approach on the cholesterol medications - with the understanding that I would come back in 6 months and have it rechecked to ensure that the numbers were still coming down.

SO. All of that was very good news for me. BUT. I tried to explain to him how I'd already hit a plateau and that I'd been stuck gaining and losing the same few pounds for the last several weeks. His response? "You could just maintain now"

WHAT?!?! Dude. I'm 306 pounds and you think maintaining is appropriate? UGH! I guess maybe he wants me to focus more on the healthy eating and exercise that will bring my numbers down and not so much on the weight? LOL. I'm so not looking to maintain here!
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
I feel your pain and have seen a weight gain since my Dr. put me on BP meds (Lisinipril). It reduces the BP all right, but sucks the energy right out of you. I used to walk 5 miles at least 3 times a week, but now I come home from work and just sit there - no energy for any exercise, and mentally I feel sluggish, too. I swear it increases my appetite, too. This drug is contra to a healthy lifestyle, and not the way I iwant to live the rest of my life. I'm making an appt to see the Doc in Jan. to get a different med, but I'm sure she'll be alarmed at the weight gain. What did she expect, it's on of the side effects! Anyone else taking Lisinopril?
Are you serious? That's one of the side effects? OY! I'm on Lisinopril. I need one of those little banging my head against a brick wall smilie guy! I'm also on Paxil. Which can also cause lethargy and weight gain. I was blaming it all on the Paxil but maybe I'm getting a 1-2 punch.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #20  

Height: 5'4"

One thing that helps me when dealing with doctors is to remember that they are NOT an authority figure to us. They are, in a sense, a paid consultant. We do not need to impress them, obey them or put up with abuse or incompetence from them. You and your insurance company pay them a LOT of money, and they need to start realizing that customer service is critical to continuing their businesses.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote